switched oils and no more consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2014 focus. I switched to vwb from pp and have noticed in about 1500 miles I haven't used any oil yet with the pp it used some not a frightening amount but probably a qt in 3000 miles. My mom's 09 focus did the same thing with pp. I am not sure why but I have yet to have a good experience with pennzoil products.

I have tried them twice was going to try a third with the new PU, no positives so far but I wanted to try it in a different engine with the new formulation and base oil before the final chapter.

I think Ashland makes the the best oil . I know everyone likes pp and yellow but the vwb and max life are great oils

This is not good news. I am running Mobil 1 now and was gonna run PUP to see if my oil consumption issues will go away. Reading these comments are not giving me any hope.

If you want less consumption try something else, I had consumption with PU old formula and Amsoil SS but Zero with Valvoline Synpower and German Castrol.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I switched to vwb from pp and have noticed in about 1500 miles

You've done a right step.
with the pp it used some not a frightening amount but probably a qt in 3000 miles.

You should not use synthetic oil on brand new car if this is not specified by manufacturer. Looks like you broke-in your engine improperly. Ford uses pretty old way of cylinder honing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honing_(metalworking)
Some other manufactures, such as BMW of Mercedes, use chemical milling and no break-in is required.
I am not sure why but I have yet to have a good experience with pennzoil products.

This is nothing to do with PP. You would have same results with M1 or some other staff. Don't use synthetic oil for at least 10k more miles. Change oil each 5k miles.
I would not use syn oil further too. Motorcraft is an excellent syn blend oil, this is a best choice for you. Save $10 compare to PP, M1 and other fancy staff, but, PLEASE: use engine flush. This let keep your oil passages and rings clean. Don't rely on "oil already has everything you need". This is a marketing sillyness. Seafoam, MMO are your best frends for about 200 miles before oil is changed. Personally I prefer Liqui Moly engine flush.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Pennzoil has always consumed more in every single engine I have tried it in. Not sure why. Your mileage may vary.

Same here. I don't use pennzoil often, but when i have noticed my engines seem thirstier, usually wanting and extra half quart in and interval.

Originally Posted By: timeau
I switched to vwb from pp and have noticed in about 1500 miles

You've done a right step.
with the pp it used some not a frightening amount but probably a qt in 3000 miles.

You should not use synthetic oil on brand new car if this is not specified by manufacturer. Looks like you broke-in your engine improperly. Ford uses pretty old way of cylinder honing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honing_(metalworking)
Some other manufactures, such as BMW of Mercedes, use chemical milling and no break-in is required.
I am not sure why but I have yet to have a good experience with pennzoil products.

This is nothing to do with PP. You would have same results with M1 or some other staff. Don't use synthetic oil for at least 10k more miles. Change oil each 5k miles.
I would not use syn oil further too. Motorcraft is an excellent syn blend oil, this is a best choice for you. Save $10 compare to PP, M1 and other fancy staff, but, PLEASE: use engine flush. This let keep your oil passages and rings clean. Don't rely on "oil already has everything you need". This is a marketing sillyness. Seafoam, MMO are your best frends for about 200 miles before oil is changed. Personally I prefer Liqui Moly engine flush.

I agree that motorcraft is and excellent choice for his engine. It is an excellent choice for many engines.

I however disagree with the engine flush recommendation. There is no need for that Silly stuff if your changing your oil using a name brand oil conventional or synthetic IMO

Hmm, I haven't been able to monitor Pennzoil consumption. I used the good old Pennzoil Ultra in my 97' Camry but it had an oil leak, I don't think it consumed though. I have PPw/PP in my grandpa's Jeep 4.0L but it's only got about 600 miles on it, not enough to monitor usage. The Jeep has never needed to be topped off on oil previously.

Never had any usage problems with Pennzoil.

PP may be a little thinner than the other 5W-20's you are using.

Stay with the Valvoline or try Valvoline Synpower.

I'm using the NAPA version of Synpower in my son's RX8 right now with very good results.

I'm not a Valvoline guy but if it works, certainly don't fix it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Pennzoil has always consumed more in every single engine I have tried it in. Not sure why. Your mileage may vary.

I've had the opposite results. I've consumed less with Pennzoil than any other brand. Motorcraft seems to disappear faster than any other brand for me. Whatever works for you keep doing it! That's what I say.

I also experienced some mild consumption with PP in my skyactiv engine. no consumption with castrol or mobil 1 so far. Not sure why it didn't like PP.

I wonder how Ultra Platinum is going to do in my engine. My engine has been drinking Mobil 1 like it's nothing. 4 full quarts in 6,500 miles! Dealer and GM say it's normal. Looking for a better oil that's not going to consume so much oil. I was thinking PUP was going to be better according to what everyone on this site has been saying regarding PUP.

Last edited:
IDK
I've used PP in various applications over the years and never noticed any increase in consumption.
Engines that neither leaked nor consumed oil didn't do so on PP.
There were anecdotal reports here years ago of increased oil consumption for the first OCI or two of PP which then settled down.
I can't think of any reason for this, but some of these posts came from long-time members.
I don't think they were blowing smoke.
Still, if the engine seems happier with VWB then just use that.
I'm seeing lower consumption in the '09 Forester with old Ultra SM 5W-30 than I did with the much thicker GC. Not enough to need any adds with either, but the difference is there.
Go figure.

My wife's 2012 Camry uses a little Mobile 1. However, the manual states it is normal to use 1/2-1 qt every 600 miles
confused2.gif
The GM dealer told my dad the same thing on his truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back