Recent discovery about MAC sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAC sockets are significantly thinner. They're thinner both on the square drive end AND the business end. I've had this MAC socket for quite awhile and never noticed how much thinner it was than until I started interchanging it with the other two sockets on the same Craftsman spin handle. I have some interior screws in my Buick that I thought were 9/32'' on the head, but as it turns out, they're 7mm on the head. I don't have a MAC 7mm to compare them with, but to be fair, the 9/32'' is the next size LARGER than 7mm and yet the MAC is still thinner than the other two. If you look at the MAC on the end of the spin handle drive, it's not much larger in diameter than the drive itself. Thinner is better when it comes to sockets. Thinner gets you into places thicker sockets won't. There's definitely an advantage to having a thin socket, especially in 1/4'' drive.

The sockets I used were:
1. MAC M96R (9/32'' - 1/4'' drive) Shallow
2. Kobalt 338114 (7mm - 1/4'' drive) Shallow
3. Snap-on TMMS7 (7MM -1/4'' drive) Semi-Deep

DSCN1662_zps55075588.jpg

^ MAC/Kobalt

DSCN1664_zps00d297c5.jpg

^ MAC/Snap-on

DSCN1668_zpsa54245ad.jpg

^ MAC/Kobalt

DSCN1666_zpsb4e495e1.jpg

^ MAC/Snap-on

DSCN1656_zpsf1ffdaa3.jpg

^ MAC

DSCN1658_zps46e9427b.jpg

^ Kobalt

DSCN1660_zps3e47bdf4.jpg

^ Snap-on

DSCN1540_zps9bbcc32d.jpg

^ MAC

Question becomes how does this relate to torque capability and cracking? Which I suppose also relates to the alloys used.

I can see in some situations the smaller diameter could be an advantage.

But I hear Mac can sometimes be difficult with their warranty, which puts me off them Big Time!

Size does not dictate quality.

Alloy and Heat Treat determine quality.

The chinese use more of a lesser quality steel.
The American and Germans Less of a Higher quality steel, with a superior heat treat.

If anyone has worked on a 5.2 or 5.9 Dodge Ram, you will know a thin walled socket is the only thing that will work to take off the spark plugs due to the heat shield collars. Mac spark plug sockets are thin enough to get those plugs out and strong enough not to crack on a seized plug. Accessibility AND strength in one tool such as sockets and wrenches are a win-win. If you turn wrenches for a living its a must.
Mac sockets are very crack resistant and capable of loads of torque.

Mac
Cornwell
Wright
Snap-On

To name a few strong but thin sockets and wrenches

SK are super strong but have slightly thicker walls on their sockets. At least mine do. Still thinner than Craftsman though.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Size does not dictate quality.

Alloy and Heat Treat determine quality.

The American and Germans Less of a Higher quality steel, with a superior heat treat.

Why don't the Chinese use more of a high quality steel? How much extra can that cost per socket?

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

Many on here won't believe you...

Thanks Merkava for the pictures.

Does anybody know if there are any cheaper socket sets that are thin walled? I ran into an issue with Strut mounts for my 98 Toyota Sienna. The cheap aftermarket strut mounts couldn't be used since I couldn't get any clearance with my impact sockets and the rubber bushing when reinstalling the shock nut. I had to end up buying OEM mounts for $75 each.

Regards, JC.

The one thing I should mention is the sockets that are thin will have an R at the end of the part number. The R stands for "Revised" and they are the improvement MAC made in the mid nineties when they revised their sockets and box end wrenches to have a thin box wall. They also went to an off corner engagement pattern as soon as the patent expired on Snap-on's patented Flank Drive. MAC calls their off corner engagement MACDRIVE. I imagine they had to get all new machinery to make the new revised sockets and wrenches. And another thing to remember: All the sockets and wrenches with the R at the end of the part number will be USA made.

JC1: There's no shame in buying tools individually for just the size you need. I do that all the time. Sometimes one single high performance tool is exponentially more beneficial than a whole set of mediocre quality tools.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
JC1: There's no shame in buying tools individually for just the size you need. I do that all the time. Sometimes one single high performance tool is exponentially more beneficial than a whole set of mediocre quality tools.

Thanks Merkava.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
SuperDave456 said:
Why don't the Chinese use more of a high quality steel? How much extra can that cost per socket?

Let's arbitrarily say 5c.
Over 20000 sockets that $1000. Maybe a years salary for the guy who made them.

Roger.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Why not grind down the socket until it fit? I learned that from old BMW guys

This could significantly weaken said socket. Depends on the steel used as well as the tasked the socket is asked to perform. Invariably doing this will also remove any chrome or surface treatment. It is always best to use the proper tool for the job. Plus any ground down socket will have zero warranty.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The one thing I should mention is the sockets that are thin will have an R at the end of the part number. The R stands for "Revised" and they are the improvement MAC made in the mid nineties when they revised their sockets and box end wrenches to have a thin box wall. They also went to an off corner engagement pattern as soon as the patent expired on Snap-on's patented Flank Drive. MAC calls their off corner engagement MACDRIVE. I imagine they had to get all new machinery to make the new revised sockets and wrenches. And another thing to remember: All the sockets and wrenches with the R at the end of the part number will be USA made.

Merkava do you have and or used MAC sockets? Im looking to upgrade my 1/2 sockets both in SAE and Metric. I normally am a Wright Tool guy but they dont make a 6 point metric 1/2 chrome set. Any thoughts as too MAC or SK. MAC tools seem somewhat affordable via ebay , but getting SK from amazon would be quite easy. Not really worried about ease of warranty , as Ive never cracked or busted a socket. Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: Thax
Originally Posted By: andyd
Why not grind down the socket until it fit? I learned that from old BMW guys

This could significantly weaken said socket. Depends on the steel used as well as the tasked the socket is asked to perform. Invariably doing this will also remove any chrome or surface treatment. It is always best to use the proper tool for the job. Plus any ground down socket will have zero warranty.

I've always kept at least a handful of no name common size wrenches and sockets in my tool box. Just in case I need to make a stubby or angled wrench or grind on a socket. I don't think I've ever paid for any of them. Either they were given to me or came as part of a package deal from the local pawn shop.

Originally Posted By: Thax
Merkava do you have and or used MAC sockets?

Yes I have a few; four in total I think. They are very impressive sockets; especially the 1/4'' drive size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back