1979 John Deere 210

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way....it will be run in the cold of winter......while operating this blower. Guessing the coldest morning will be -10 to -20 degrees F.

I'd run a 0w or 5w 30 synthetic. How long will it run continously? If not that long then the 5w 20. I just don't think i'd want to run it for long periods on 5w 20, but Deere says you can.

I was thinking Mobil 1 0w40 year around....until I saw the specs that 30wt was the highest. Of course, we all know that the difference between GC and M1 0w40 is neglegible.

So I think I like the suggestion of M1 0w30.

Of course, I am already mixing M1 0w40 and 0w20 in the Benz and maybe that soup is the huckleberry for this John Deere.

(FYI.....I mix 0w40 and 0w20 because the viscosity is super high compared to other oils)

Last edited:
Great machine!

Way before my BITOG days, we had a ~1970 JD 110 in our family. Awesome machines aside from the variable speed control. We learned to leave that lever alone.

Back then, we ran what ever motor oil we had on hand. Could have been 10w30, SAE30 or 5w30. That Kohler 10hp was all original with 20+ years of use on it.

I can still hear the chain whine on that single stage snowthrower. LOUD, but they work well.

Ideally? An XW-30 high mileage oil. Machine is old and you want to protect those engine seals as best you can.

If it will be kept in a heated garage, synthetic oil will not be required.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
If it will be kept in a heated garage, synthetic oil will not be required.

An insulated garage....but not heated.

Whats cool is the engine only takes 1.75 quarts.

I could run oil XYZ for the 6 summer months and run oil XYZ for the 5 winter months.

Maybe M1 0w20 for winter.
Maybe a rock solid 0/5w30 wt for summer

I would run a 5w-30 synthetic in winter and whatever 10w-30 in summer, RT5 10w-30 my first choice. M1 AFE has reduced ZDDP so I wouldn't run that in an older motor, or OPE. For summer use, GC or M1 0w-40 would be great too.

Big John, you are using this for mowing in the summer as well?

0W30 or 5W30 synthetic in the winter, 10W30 (conventional or synthetic) in the summer. Both "High Mileage" formulas if you can find 'em ... again, to benefit the older seals. If, after a season or two, you don't have any leaks, switch to a HDEO for the added detergency.

I see no reason whatsoever to drop to a 20 weight oil, regardless of the season.

Be sure to grease that thing thoroughly, especially the spindles and the mower deck. It might take you some time to find all the zerks. Some of those critters like to hide. It looks like you have a manual ... do they pinpoint the zerk fitting locations?

You could run Rotella 5w40 synthetic year round.
Thats what I run in one of my JD 112's with the same engine.
If you wanted to stay with a 30 grade, a 5w30 high milage in winter and a 10w30 HDEO or sae30 in the summer.
In my experience a Xw40 will only help in a Kohler.

The temps are dropping outside....to chilly to do any more work on her, but I mounted the blower....and started to adjust the belt to the PTO....but no pulley. I will have to add a pulley.

And, while I was getting on and off the tractor, I broke the friggin steering wheel.

Oh well, I need to really go through the whole tractor before I put her to heavy use.

And yes, this will be a year-round machine for me. Blowing snow in the winter and mowing 7 months of the year. I also plan to get a little trailer to haul stuff around my property.

So after a lot of thought, I think I am going to simply run T6 5w40 in her.

I have a 1975 210 that I run Rotella 15W40 in year round. I've started it without issue in the winter, the engine has never been rebuilt, it has good power, and only smokes ever so slightly at startup.

They're good little garden tractors that will run forever with minimal maintenance. Parts are still available at any John Deere dealership, and they are very easy to work on. Especially nice is that most of the John Deere parts are still made in the USA.

There is a wealth of knowledge at the Weekend Freedom Machines forum. Some of those guys know every nut, bolt and wire on them and are happy to share information.

JD stuff is expensive to buy new, but usually a good buy used as they do last and parts support is good-and lots of zerks are good! I use 5-40 T6 Shell in my 25 year old.

It's a Kohler K-series. A legendary engine for sure, but I certainly wouldn't waste a high dollar fancy synthetic in one. There's no filtration on them and they tend to run a bit on the rich and hot side and blacken oil quickly. The main thing is maintaining a proper level and oil change interval.

I sold my last Kohler-K a few years ago, but I ran 15w40 in mine for summertime use. If I had to use one in the cold of winter, I'd put a 30wt variant in it.

Originally Posted By: JTK
It's a Kohler K-series. A legendary engine for sure, but I certainly wouldn't waste a high dollar fancy synthetic in one. There's no filtration on them and they tend to run a bit on the rich and hot side and blacken oil quickly. The main thing is maintaining a proper level and oil change interval.

I sold my last Kohler-K a few years ago, but I ran 15w40 in mine for summertime use. If I had to use one in the cold of winter, I'd put a 30wt variant in it.

No one has mentioned it, but wonder about the Rotella T5 Semi in a 10w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back