tablespoon gear oil in motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the situation!

My 94 dakota has a AX15 manual transmission that was originally spec'd for gear oil but now takes 10w30.

I had an empty rotella 85w140 gear oil container with the convenient cut off "beak" that I refilled with superflo 10w30 so I could squeeze/ squirt it up in there.

I wound up with a full transmission, and a half full quart of 10w30 left over, cross contaminated with a little old gear oil.

Heard gear oil is not great for engine main bearings, or something. What can I do with this 10w30? Lawnmower?

I use odd mixtures like that for lubing the wheel studs/nuts so they don't seize up. I also coat the mating surface between the rotor/drum and the rim (especially if you have aluminum alloys) so they don't get stuck either. Just my .02

Last edited:
I wouldn't personally put it in crankcase, but don't honestly know if a tablespoon would have any detrimental effects.

I find that the beaks actually fit on engine oil quarts, I just screw them on snug. To tight and they jump thread, pretty leak free and no cross contamination. I use this method to fill my vehicles transfer case.

Heck, I've used quarts of gear oil as top up in my oil burning Europa in the past with no deleterious effects.

A tablespoon's worth is of no consiquence. I'd be more concerned about adding a low VI 10W-30 to one of my cars. In my lawnmower, no problem.

You are one high VI lovin' guy CATERHAM...lol Do you cook with VII's? I have barely seen a thread where you don't post something about VI.

BTW... I'm just jabbin' you
48.gif
. You know a heck of a lot, and I enjoy your posts.

Last edited:
Are there two eljefinos?
Is this the same one that always gives good practical advice?

If this is the 'good' eljefino, I wonder why you are posting about 1/2 qt of oil.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Heck, I've used quarts of gear oil as top up in my oil burning Europa in the past with no deleterious effects.

Is this a twin-cam, or a Renault OHV(?) deal??

I've always liked these cars, but if I owned one I would yank the stocker out and install a fully tuned Cossie, or at least a FULLY maxed-out Ecotec/Zetec/Duratec/Vauxhaull powerplant.
smile.gif

dailydriver, yes I know a lot replace the ancient Twin-Cam with a more modern 2L engine as you suggest.
But at the end of the day it will never come close to the power/weight ratio of a newer Caterham or the handling for that matter. So for driving thrills that's where my attention lies.

A tablespoon's worth is of no consiquence. I'd be more concerned about adding a low VI 10W-30 to one of my cars. In my lawnmower, no problem.

Interested how you measured this "no deleterious effects". was it lack of blowing up, UOA ?

Just for giggles, I mixed 50:50 M15W50, and a semi synthetic 75W90 GL5 and heated them.

Reasoning, both had high VIs. Mobil 1 183,and the Tanoa 75W90 192 (Had some 85W140, but it's VI was under 100, so left it in the bottle). Mobil has a pretty high TBN, so lots of alkalinity reserve.

On heating, at a point above the boiling point of water, but well below ring belt temps, a trail of bubbles started following my stirrer, leaving behind it what looked like particles of "soap" for want of a better word, that were dissolved back into the oil after a small number of seconds.

Clearly, there was some sort of reaction going on, between the add packs of the gear and engine oils (makes sense given the way that they have to function).

So when you say no deleterious effects, what measurements confirmed this, or is lack of failure in the OCI "success" ?

You really are on a tear digging up 3+ years old threads with no other purpose than to make some sort of wisecrack.

I've added a lot worse fluids including used cooking oil to an engine I hoped would break in an old Renault rust bucket I had that just wouldn't die but finally gave up when a Renault enthusiast offered to buy it. Needless to say I couldn't say yes fast enough but I did advised the buyer it was in need of an oil change (as the sump was half full of sludge by that time).

Get a life for heaven's sake.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Are there two eljefinos?
Is this the same one that always gives good practical advice?

If this is the 'good' eljefino, I wonder why you are posting about 1/2 qt of oil.

Glad Im not the only one who thought this. I found myself looking at his # of posts and join date too. Lol.

You really are on a tear digging up 3+ years old threads with no other purpose than to make some sort of wisecrack.

I've added a lot worse fluids including used cooking oil to an engine I hoped would break in an old Renault rust bucket I had that just wouldn't die but finally gave up when a Renault enthusiast offered to buy it. Needless to say I couldn't say yes fast enough but I did advised the buyer it was in need of an oil change (as the sump was half full of sludge by that time).

Get a life for heaven's sake.

Yes, when Shannow (and some others on here) decide to "go after" another member, they really get a little too obsessed with the 'cause'.
eek.gif

^ Too much listening to talk radio.

But in the spirit of seeing the positive rather than the negative, in Shannow's quest, he has brought us science and new information. I have certainly learnt something from some of his posts.

Originally Posted By: aa1986
I have certainly learnt something from some of his posts.

NO DOUBT!

I have learned from BOTH of their postings, on many different oil related topics.

I just wish that all of the animosity, vitriol, and 'one-upmanship' would cease (on EVERYONES' part), and that we could discuss some of these very interesting topics in a civil manor.
smile.gif

I would say Shannow has a valid point. Of course, CATERHAM is also quite quite right that many people have put some strange things in their engines, particularly in older beaters, out of necessity or experimentation and haven't had the things blow up on them. Experimenting with my oil burning LTD or my buddy's oil burning Vegas or CATERHAM's Renault is different than playing around with something new simply for the sake of playing around.

Was exploring the claim of "no deleterious effects", with the original proponent of the claims, in the thread in which the claim was made, didn't dig one out of the archives, and post it into another thread to intentionally discredit.

No deleterious effects seems to be based on "no blow-ups", and having done worse without blow-ups does not make the argument stronger.

Same google search on the day revealed this one from Molakule with input from widman, explaining why.

prompting me to try a backyard "6922"

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Dont most motor oils use MOS2 and gear oils use a non soluble form of moly?

Mos2 is non soluble. It's a mineral mined from the earth.
Organic moly is different.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
No deleterious effects seems to be based on "no blow-ups", and having done worse without blow-ups does not make the argument stronger.

Before my truck's engine rebuild, I'd define no deleterious effects a lot different than after the rebuild (or in my G). Before the rebuild, what minimized leaking and kept the oil pressure up without costing too much was good enough. Now, I'd have no reason to be switching back and forth between SAE grades by season or worry about the cost of replenishing massively leaking oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back