Acura customer service ARGHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAJORCAVALRY

I almost bought one of these Acuras myself, but opted for a big SUV for my big family's needs. Most modern engines have this issue, but some more than others. What is happening is the oil is being fed through the pcv/vacuum tube and back into the intake. Thus the reasoning that a lot of manufacturer dealers are suggesting a intake cleaning service every 15k miles or so to clean out the oil in the intakes and throttle bodies as well. This oil build up is not good for the intake or the catalytic converters. I would suggest getting yourself a catchcan at catchcans.com I did this on my GMC which had the same issue and problem solved. I am by no means an expert or certified engineer or technician for that matter but do work in the industry and know a good deal about today's modern engines. This was just my $.02. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Olas
The oil has to get past either the valve guides, the valve stem seals, the piston rings or through the PCV.
Do you notice smoke on a cold start? Or on acceleration or decelerating on overrun?
Stick a finger in the PCV tubing to check for residue.
Have you checked compression? Or done a leak down test?

I do not see any smoke on start up, acceleration or deceleration, but I am in the car. Good idea. I will have my son start it this week end and take a look.

As for the PCV, compression or cylinder leak down test, that is what I thought Acura would have recommended to determine the cause.

Does this engine have variable cylinder management,or whatever Acura calls the ability to shut down 2-3 cylinders when cruising? If I recall correctly, this feature was responsible for increased oil consumption in certain model years. Have you looked at Honda/Acura forums for reports of similar problems and possible solutions?

I thought there was a class-action lawsuit against Honda for this problem a couple years ago and Honda supposedly made changes as a result. Not that I would suggest cheating, but there must be ways to interfere with results of an oil consumption test - wonder how manufacturers prevent it?

I would suggest spreading your experience around on social media as much as possible. You've already done that here, but get it out on Facebook and other social media sites as much as possible. IMO, this kind of oil consumption on a recent vintage Acura is wholly unacceptable. Maybe then Honda/Acura will take notice and fix the problem to maintain their reputation.

Your oil consumption at 48K is about as much as that of my 102K and almost 15 year old Saturn, whose engines have a well known reputation for being oil burners.

Interesting thought on viscosity.

I looked up the Mobil1 recommendation for oil in the 3.7L engine on the UK and German website.

The UK website recommends 0W-30 ESP with 0W-40 as an alternative
The German website recommends 0W-30 AFE with 0W-40 as an alternative

Neither recommends the 5W-20 that is recommended by Acura USA, but both offer 0W-20 as an alternative choice that is not recommended in the USA.

Unfortunately, I think it will be hard to get Acura to budge. Your engine, after all, is within their stated tolerance. This is also a common complaint with Chrysler minivans (and Jeep Wranglers) with the 3.8L V-6 engine. The warrantable oil consumption rate is 1 qt/1,000 miles, and Chrysler usually did not do any warranty work unless the engine was burning at that rate.

My recommendation to you, as is the oft-recommended "remedy" for 3.8L V-6 owners, is to just enjoy the vehicle, add a quart every month or two or however often it needs it, and get on with life knowing that your upper cylinder walls and pistons are VERY well lubricated.

I'd use an inexpensive 5W-20 and just change it whenever you feel comfortable. Maybe on 5k mile intervals to keep it easy. Or even 7,500 mile intervals. You'll be adding fresh additives into the system periodically, so averaged out over time, the condition of your oil will actually be fairly "good". And the 3.7L engine does not use their multiple displacement system, so nothing there to worry about.

I owned two Cadillac Northstar engines. I'm used to adding engine oil. I drove 'em like I stole 'em and they ran well for many thousands of miles.

Originally Posted By: raffy
Your oil consumption at 48K is about as much as that of my 102K and almost 15 year old Saturn, ...

And far worse than my 18 year old 160,000 mile 3.5 which does smoke on start up and burns less than half a quart in 6-7000 miles.

I'd start making noise about failing to honor a warranty and attempting to ignore the problem until it is out of warranty...

Something clearly has changed.

I would not put any viscosity of oil in it that isn't in the owners manual or any non API oil so as not to give them an out.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry

The suggestion for a certified letter to an Acura VP makes a lot of sense. I did request a call from my service representative's supervisor.

Will keep all posted.

Send that letter and DO NOT delay!

The key is to document as much as possible. But going to the
top is the best thing you can do. Make sure to keep the
letter to one page and be polite, but firm, as well as brief and to the point, then tell them what you want them to do to resolve the problem to your satisfaction (new engine, ect). Make sure to mention that your decision to purchase another Acura hinges on how this situation is handled by the company.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Unfortunately, I think it will be hard to get Acura to budge. Your engine, after all, is within their stated tolerance. This is also a common complaint with Chrysler minivans (and Jeep Wranglers) with the 3.8L V-6 engine. The warrantable oil consumption rate is 1 qt/1,000 miles, and Chrysler usually did not do any warranty work unless the engine was burning at that rate.

My recommendation to you, as is the oft-recommended "remedy" for 3.8L V-6 owners, is to just enjoy the vehicle, add a quart every month or two or however often it needs it, and get on with life knowing that your upper cylinder walls and pistons are VERY well lubricated.

I'd use an inexpensive 5W-20 and just change it whenever you feel comfortable. Maybe on 5k mile intervals to keep it easy. Or even 7,500 mile intervals. You'll be adding fresh additives into the system periodically, so averaged out over time, the condition of your oil will actually be fairly "good". And the 3.7L engine does not use their multiple displacement system, so nothing there to worry about.

I owned two Cadillac Northstar engines. I'm used to adding engine oil. I drove 'em like I stole 'em and they ran well for many thousands of miles.

Chrysler actually dropped it to 1 quart per 500 miles or something crazy after a lot of people that bought vehicles with lifetime powertrane warranties were complaining of oil consumption.

The stated limit on oil consumption is a warranty requirement that all manufacturers have. It limits their warranty cost and puts at least some limit. What if it was burning 1/4 quart in 4k miles? They would have people still complaining wanting a free repair.

On the other hand I can guarantee that if you tell them or an independent shop you want the consumption fixed and are willing to pay for it they will do it in a heart beat. But if you want it for free you follow the rules of the warranty they gave you.

Quote:
On the other hand I can guarantee that if you tell them or an independent shop you want the consumption fixed and are willing to pay for it they will do it in a heart beat.

Absolutely! But would they guarantee their job (aka no oil consumption) for how many miles/years?

Update.

Just replaced the PCV valve with an OEM in hopes it will return the the oil consumption to previous levels.
The old valve had barely any rattle compared to the new one so perhaps there is some hope. If this works I guess I will just replace it at 30 K intervals. A 15 minute annoying job.

Much thanks to Trav for his help. And thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I will will be following this up with Acura corporate.

Another update.

After I was told that Acura would not pursue this matter further I requested to speak to my case manager's supervisor. I never received a call BUT, my case manager called back stating that Acura technical support will look further into my case. I have no idea what that will entail, but it is a bit more encouraging.

Originally Posted By: geeman789

I would first try a thicker oil... I run M1 0w40 in my Odyssey van, similar engine... now at 110 000 miles , and oil consumption dropped from 2 quarts every 6000 with a 20 grade to less than 1 quart per 6000 with the 0w40.

Is it thicker than needed... probably, but it helps with oil consumption and works fine.

And good luck with trying to get Honda / Acura to help... until you get to the 1 quart per 1000 miles thresh-hold, they will likely do nothing. Your engine is not BROKEN... it is simply at the high end of what is deemed acceptable oil consumption.

If it cuts the oil consumption, it is not thicker than needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back