Long trip, OLM on 55% change oil or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a good point.
The OP may also want to avoid having less than half a tank of fuel at any time for this reason, along with the fact that he's driving into an area where places to stop for fuel can be pretty far apart.
Here, you can't throw a rock off the interstates without hitting a gas station.
IIRC, after Rochester MN things open up and there's not much traffic or many towns. The last time we drove through this region, E0 was readily available and E10 midgrade was cheaper than E0 regular.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
The OLM will slow down if you're doing a really long trip on the highway with few engine cooldowns/stops. Just bring some oil with you, and keep her topped up. Change the oil when you get back.

Bingo. We took our 2008 Equinox on a 2K mile round roadtrip and the OLM moved maybe 20-30% in that time. Only used 1/2 a quart and that's on a questionable (3.4) engine. Fact it's still on that change with 6K, and as of last weekend the OLM was at 40%...

GM's OLM has proven somewhat conservative on most of its applications (i.e., LS V8s) given quality lubricants such as yours.

Nevertheless, I'm getting kinda nervous with my '11 5.3L at 9% remaining after some 6 months and ~7000 miles.

BITOG OCD is at play here one might suspect.
smile.gif

Throw a proper drain pan in the bed along with a tool set (don't forget the filter wrench!) and change it in a Walmart parking lot when it's time. Then pour the used oil back into the containers and recycle it at the store. Being a truck makes this easy since you don't have to jack the thing up to gain access.

You might not even have to change it at all. I'd just drive it and change it when it's time, no matter where you are.

Last edited:
Mid ground approach is to siphon out couple quarts, and refill with fresh oil. There is a good chance OLM will be right at 0% at return, but for warranty purpose make sure video record the job just in case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back