Oil residue in exhaust tips after oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I just changed the oil in my 2013 genesis coupe v6 yesterday and today after a short 5 min drive i noticed some oil residue in the tips of my exhaust. I am wondering if i should be concerned about this since i did not have it before. I used amsoil 5w-30 synthetic. The car has 7240 miles on it and it is the second oil change. Any help is appreciated.

I put in 6qts and the manual says 6.02. I checked the dip stick and it was right at the full mark

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
Thats AMSOIL for Ya.

And just what do you mean by that?... Running the same in a 430 hp engine and no issues at all.

Do you pull the dipstick up past the O-ring when filling? I'm not sure if it applies here but I remember on some 4.0 Explorers if you did not pull up the dipstick and poured too fast oil would get into the air intake tube.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Do you pull the dipstick up past the O-ring when filling? I'm not sure if it applies here but I remember on some 4.0 Explorers if you did not pull up the dipstick and poured too fast oil would get into the air intake tube.

I make a habit of doing this on all engines.

I never touch or remove the dipstick until the oil change is complete and the engine is run for a few minutes, then allowed 15 minutes for the oil to settle down back in the oil pan.

If adding a small amount of oil (half to one quart, the dipstick goes in its holster after I've measured how much oil needs to be added.

One should know within a few ounces how much oil the engine needs and there's no need to measure the dipstick contents afterwards.

Originally Posted By: jjgen13
Hey guys. I just changed the oil in my 2013 genesis coupe v6 yesterday and today after a short 5 min drive i noticed some oil residue in the tips of my exhaust. I am wondering if i should be concerned about this since i did not have it before. I used amsoil 5w-30 synthetic. The car has 7240 miles on it and it is the second oil change. Any help is appreciated.

Direct Injection? Is it like black soot? If so, it is pretty common and has been discussed on the Hyundai forums.

I have a 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 V6 and I can tell you that they tend to run quite rich from the factory and leave a lot of soot on the tail pipes. Given, yours is probably not so bad because it is direct injected and mine is not, but it is a common theme among the Genesis owners. After I got a tune on mine, a majority of the soot went away.

I think, as other's have pointed out, it was soot and nothing to worry about if it returns.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back