02 Ford 4.6 timing chain guides

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 02 Grand Marquis which was one of the years for the bad timing chain guides. I was wondering if this is something i should replace as soon as possible or if it can be put off until it started making noise or by doing regular UOA's? Its got 87k on it anybody know if this is near or beyond the mileage they start failing? The original owner did 3-5k oil changes with 5w30.

All I can tell you is timing chains tend to make noise for a while before they fail. This is provided we are talking about overhead cam engines. A belt will silently snap without warning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: swirlparanoid
I have a 02 Grand Marquis which was one of the years for the bad timing chain guides. I was wondering if this is something i should replace as soon as possible or if it can be put off until it started making noise or by doing regular UOA's? Its got 87k on it anybody know if this is near or beyond the mileage they start failing? The original owner did 3-5k oil changes with 5w30.

The 4.6's with chain guide issues typically presented themselves by making noise. If yours is quiet, then I wouldn't touch it.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock

The 4.6's with chain guide issues typically presented themselves by making noise. If yours is quiet, then I wouldn't touch it.

+100000

Noise is not necessarily an indicator. My 02 CV was dead quiet but UOA showed very high silicon and aluminum. Turns out the chains had worn thru the plastic part of the guides and had started to wear into the aluminum guide arms. Glad I checked. Changed them plus the oil, next UOA was back to normal. You don't necessarily have to replace the chains, just guided and tensioners.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock

This. They were not ALL defective. There was a percentage of them that would wear prematurely supposedly due to the nature of how they were made (old moulds has been a theory I've heard) while others will last basically forever.

The 4.6 will make some noise if the guides are worn. I'd leave it alone. Don't try and fix what ain't broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back