The fat lady is about to sing for the A380

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand a newer 747-400 converted to a freighter...

but is it cost effective to convert a DC-10, why not look for a 757 and convert them like what FedEx did ?

Now you're going to make me do some research.
I know that UPS wanted to cancel their outstanding A300 orders and converted them to A380 orders thereby avoiding any penalty payment.
I had thought that Airbus suspended the freighter program due to the need for engineering resources in getting the A380 type certified and also doing extensive custom rework in assembling the first twenty one frames, the wiring harnesses of which simply did not mate up as planned between fuselage sections.
Anyway, upon reflection, it may be that this type is simply too inflexible to be useful to very many operators.
Yeah, many a carrier could profitably fill one during the high season, but in the off season, an A380 might be an expensive airplane to operate with only half the seats filled and would also be rather costly to park unused for a few months.

A380 isn't going away. It will be getting a new engine option, according to the Airbus CEO. I believe it was announced this week.

I flew three legs on the A380 in July 2013, from Frankfurt to Johannesburg, Johannesburg to Frankfurt, and Frankfurt to Houston. All 3 flights were 100% full. I didn't see an empty seat. We flew Lufthansa, by the way. The aircraft flew beautifully, but the seats in business class were not great. That's Lufthansa's fault, not Airbus.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I can understand a newer 747-400 converted to a freighter...

but is it cost effective to convert a DC-10, why not look for a 757 and convert them like what FedEx did ?

757's are the cream of the crop for long and thin routes. Problem is, the passenger haulers know this too, and are reluctant to retire them until the 737 Max becomes available, or they take more deliveries of 739ER's. Even then, I don't consider a 739ER to be a true 757 replacement.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Sure, it's different, but a lot of good engineering went into the plane and it's efficient, quiet, reliable, easy to fly and performs well in environment (hot, high, short runways) where the 737 is a liability.

Shhhhh...

Maybe not.
The 739 doesn't offer anything like the runway performance of the 757.
The A321neo can replace the 757 on almost any route and the longer range version may even do flights across the pond.
Still, some routes are only feasible economically and in perfromance terms with the 757.
When the last of these birds leaves service, there will be routes that can no longer be operated.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
I'm going to miss the MD-80, wish I got the chance to fly one.
frown.gif

Sorry I can't help my self but .. The MD 80 lives I have a love for the 747 tanker though. I wan't one,,,ya know a chick magnet

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
SOMEONE is going to be last aboard, get stuck in a middle seat, and not find any overhead bin space.

I fly a lot (for work) At some times of the year, multiple trips per week. I always ask for a middle seat.

My boss thinks I'm crazy, and he maneuvers for the seats with more leg room and so on.

However, my airline experience is always better than his. Here is why: I often have someone interesting next to me to talk with, as there is a choice of 2 people instead of just 1. They are often not families or couples who would otherwise be disinterested in being social. A good number of times it's been a very pretty and friendly solo woman next to me. A few times, it's been someone noteworthy on a solo trip.

While I don't like being crammed between 2 fatties, or two huge guys, that's more rare than you might think.

Anyway, sorry to take the thread a bit off topic.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
SOMEONE is going to be last aboard, get stuck in a middle seat, and not find any overhead bin space.

I fly a lot (for work) At some times of the year, multiple trips per week. I always ask for a middle seat.

My boss thinks I'm crazy, and he maneuvers for the seats with more leg room and so on.

However, my airline experience is always better than his. Here is why: I often have someone interesting next to me to talk with, as there is a choice of 2 people instead of just 1. They are often not families or couples who would otherwise be disinterested in being social. A good number of times it's been a very pretty and friendly solo woman next to me. A few times, it's been someone noteworthy on a solo trip.

While I don't like being crammed between 2 fatties, or two huge guys, that's more rare than you might think.

Anyway, sorry to take the thread a bit off topic.

Off-Topic...but I see where you are coming from with the seating idea.

Personally...I really don't care for overly talkative people sitting next to me. I like to read a paper or mag and kick back and relax/think. I suppose I'm not a social individual anyway....but in all honesty most people bore me to death.

And as for the pretty ladies? I try to NOT get into any sort of conversation. I'm human and really don't need the temptation as I'm happy where I am.

Just my opinion.

Ever wonder why all the very frequent fliers have Bose noise-canceling headphones?

It's not just the jet noise that were trying to eliminate....

^^^^^ Ha ha ha ha. I bet.

The last flight I was on I had a window seat. The two people sitting next to me were kindly enough....but boy, I was really wanting them to shut it. Especially the fella next to me....he kept drinking those little midget bottles of booze. The more he drank...the less interesting his conversation was. The lady next to him wasn't any better. She actually ASKED me why I was so quiet.
Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back