AW - Concentration or Total Amount Available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
.....In the case of ZDDP, the sulfur, zinc, and phosphorus elements disassociates from the total ZDDP molecule.

The sulfur molecule, along with the zinc molecule, helps with the anti-oxidation task and the sulfur molecule helps the phosphorus molecule attach itself to the ferrous (iron) surface.

When the phosphorus element attaches itself to the ferrous (iron) surface, it forms a Plastic film of mainly ferrous phosphates that reduces contact wear.

However, these "associations" can't stay friends forever because heat, mechanical shearing, and oxidation degrade these associations over time.

A higher concentration of the ZDDP molecule (or any additive chemistry) means the molecule can give up more.....

Thank you!

My "Ahhaa" moment came at 5.15am this morning when I realised that the whole disassociation, polar attraction, formation of protective film, destruction of film and the return of these elements back to the oil was happening under heat and pressure was essentially instantaneous! Hence the criticality of the concentration.

This also explains to me how the AW element concentrations doesn't change much from VOA to UOA because of the continual association and destruction cycle.

Thank you all for your perseverance!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back