Best Family Hatch for 21k or under

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking for a new hatch for my daily driver. I have been looking at the following in that category

2015- Mazada 3 i touring ($21,200) (Brand New)
2014- Prius C two ($18,900) 3200 miles
2015- Honda Fit ($20,800) Brand new

My two criteria, high city mpg (40 mile round trip for work) and reliability as my current jeep has 201k and we purchased it in 2003 with 50K.

I would love blue tooth connectivity and a sunroof if possible but not required.

only one of those will get 40mpg with regular driving, esp in the winter.

They have new 2014 model prius C's here for 17000$

With all the new vehicles sometimes they are tuned to get great mpg in the fake epa mpg cycles.

2 things are very important for mpg, wind resistance and vehicle size/weight.

Last edited:
wn- I've seen owners of 2012+ Subaru Impreza CVTs report 37mpg on the highway. Can't go wrong with the 3 on your list for sure.

They are good at different things and the criteria isn't specific enough. What is the largest the "family" could potentially become?

I'd lean towards the Mazda simply because I think it's larger than the others and doesn't carry much of a mileage penalty. If you think you'll ever have two kids I'd go larger than any of the three listed. What does a Mazda 5 cost, about the same?

Another thought, what does 2mpg save you? A dollar a week? IMO it's just not worth the penalty (in size, handling and interior refinement) to drive a Prius C for that.

Last edited:
I can't find it now but not long ago there was a similar thread comparing the Fit to a Matrix...

As I recall, the Matrix won out but don't quote me on that

Not trying to be nosey, but any reason the Matrix is not among your choices?

You can get a Prius Two OTD for $23k or less. We have 12k miles on ours and an average of 49.8mpg since new.

You should be able to do better on pricing for any of the three.
Try shopping around via the web and emails.
Of the three, I'd choose the Fit for its spacious and versatile interior as well as its zingy litttle engine and tossable handling. It's almost like an old-school Civic of the mid-eighties.
The Prius Cheap would be my last choice.
I've heard nothing good about their ride and handling.
It isn't just about fuel, since you'll have to drive the thing forty miles every day.

Originally Posted By: wn1998
Abycat, I will be selling my jeep to a local high school kid.

that's cool. Did you consider another versa? a couple people on this forum have the versa note. I know that's quite a bit smaller than the 3 you listed. even a juke is kinda like a hatchback. fun little car to drive.

Last edited:
How about the Mitsubishi Mirage? Cheap, reliable, boring.
grin.gif

I will consider a Ford Focus or a VW Golf

Originally Posted By: wn1998
looking for a new hatch for my daily driver. I have been looking at the following in that category

2015- Mazada 3 i touring ($21,200) (Brand New)
2014- Prius C two ($18,900) 3200 miles
2015- Honda Fit ($20,800) Brand new

My two criteria, high city mpg (40 mile round trip for work) and reliability as my current jeep has 201k and we purchased it in 2003 with 50K.

I would love blue tooth connectivity and a sunroof if possible but not required.

How long are you going to keep this vehicle? If you keep this car for more than 5 years, I would stay away from a Mazda due to the fact that they rust out faster than any other car out there.
http://www.autonet.ca/en/2013/10/09/top-10-best-and-worst-rust-resistant-cars

I know they drive great, but I'm sorry in this day and age, no car should be rusting out that fast. Also I've read that the Mazda has terrible headroom in the back seat.

With the Prius if you keep it for a long period of time, what are repairs going to cost you once stuff starts to break. Any money you save on gas, will be eaten up on possible repairs.

I test drove a 2015 Fit two weeks ago. It's a fun car to drive and it's pretty peppy for a 1.4 Liter engine. There is a ton of space inside too for the passengers.

I would go with the Fit personally.

Regards, JC.

For ease of use in a city environment, pick the Fit. It's much easier to park and maneuver in a city than the larger Mazda3. Spots that wouldn't be on the radar in a slightly larger car become viable options. The Fit doesn't give up much, if any, usable people/cargo space to the Mazda3. Back of the engine the Fit is essentially a box on wheels. Even the rear hatch is pretty squared off.

If you do expand the family, the rear doors opening to almost right angles with the body make loading/unloading large items easier.

Toyota Matrix: On August 5, 2013, Toyota announced that it would end production of the Matrix for the US market after the 2013 Model Year due to declining sales, and that there were no plans to replace it with another vehicle, leaving this segment void for the near future.

The Honda Fit would be my choice. If u have time to do your homework it is a very highly reviewed car. Praises from soccer moms, mountain bikers, college students, commuters..etc. oil analysis looks stellar, and the words that pop up is 'fun to drive'

Also note it is highly desired..high resale values due to demand and they leave the lot quickly. The highest desired color is white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back