Recommend an oil for new to me 1995 saturn sc2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's got the Dohc and is an auto. I've read that full syn is best so as to keep the piston channels from clogging. What about t5 10w30 or defy for extra cleaning? I just ordered a bunch of the Kendall and castrol syn blend off the autozone clearance so maybe just use that. 100k on the clock but it's not working so who knows. Oil is black n I'm chomping at the bit!! No idea if it's a burner

i would use high mileage oil, i read saturns are bad about leaks and useage, try to prevent trouble before it starts

If you can keep oil in it and rust has not done its meal on the cradle and rear end, they can be economical and fun to drive as well. OBD I system so the paper clip gives the check engine light codes. Easy to work on.

Just got rid of a bunch of parts for a 95 in the Fall.

If I recall some Saturns may have oil consumption issues, as one or two users(more?) have frequented this site due to the coking of the oil control rings on the pistons with these cars. Not sure if this engine is the same sort or a less prone one.

So, monitor your oil level and get an idea of if/how much it consumes. I'd check at least once every 1k miles on your first oil change or two. If it drops below the full mark be sure to keep it topped off with that 1/4 or 1/2 quart of oil.

If you wind up with any consumption switch to a high mileage oil and perform some shorter intervals for a while. T5 10w-30 is a solid oil, but if burning oil I wouldn't exactly go for a HDEO. At least not for long-term use.

Do these cars have a PCV valve? Find out and check/replace if necessary.

Off hand, T5 sounds too thick for NY in the winter, but maybe this car would like it if consumption weren't nice on typical gasoline engine oil.

My recommendation would be to forget the synthetic and just go with the high mileage. Oil consumption will likely occur as the dohc is known for this issue.

Regardless of what oil you go with, check the oil level at every fill up and keep some extra in the trunk for top off.

I would skip the full synthetic on a '95 unless that is what the previous owner used. Sounds like high mileage oil is the best option.

I'm one of the Saturn enthusiasts...
crazy2.gif
LOL!

Anyway, I have read from people who lost engines using High Mileage oil. They proved it by taking the engine apart.

So. DO NOT USE HIGH MILEAGE OIL IN THE SATURN!!
thumbsup2.gif

Get a quality conventional oil like Pennzoil in the Yellow Bottle (PYB) or another quality one on sale. Use a quality oil filter as well, NOT a Fram Orange Can.

Then, monitor your oil usage by checking it frequently, like every fill-up until you know.

...and go here to get educated on these cars! http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177672

smile.gif

Now that I'd like to read about!

Originally Posted By: Turk
Anyway, I have read from people who lost engines using High Mileage oil. They proved it by taking the engine apart.

Low tension rings, and lack of drainback holes in the piston. If its not using oil, i'd run penn ultra, thats whats in my 02 sc1 now. I'd use 5w 30 winter and if its using a 10w 40 in aummer. If it really drinks it then 15-40 rotella in summer. Like others said, saturns will last for 2-300k as long as you don't let them run out of oil.

I ran delo 15w40 summer, M1 0w40 or Mag 1 diesel 5w40 winters.

But these were oils of opportunity, eg, on sale.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

A couple of posters at saturnfans.com found this out & posted about it. I cannot remember exactly what it was, but something to do with the Crank a seal swelling up to it. Wish I could find it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

A couple of posters at saturnfans.com found this out & posted about it. I cannot remember exactly what it was, but something to do with the Crank. Wish I could find it...

Was this scientifically proven or did a HM oil happen to be in the sump during the time of the failure?

Yes, something to do with a seal swelling up to it, but don't quote me exactly. It's on Saturnfans.com... I'll try to find it and post it if it don't take an hour or two to find it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back