Which HeatPump Is Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My heat pump is on its last leg, and would like to know which ones you all have that work well for you. The house runs on a single unit and it about 1100-1200 square feet. So not much area to heat and cool. I live in the Richmond, VA area if that makes any difference. I've been given estimates averaging 6500+.

Depends, do you have the old narrow A/C lines or the new larger lines for high efficiency heat pumps?

These lines can be a pain to install.

I went with American Standard (Trane's other brand), and I put an auto set back thermostat on the wall too. Turns temp up at 5AM, down at 7AM, up at 4:30PM, down at 9PM...

I'm a carrier (ICP) products fan, installed a 15 seer comfort maker unit at my house this year. I've worked with many AC brands and I prefer ICP products.
I thought VA was too cold for heat pumps to be worth, do you have an air handler or gas furnace with that ?

Last edited:
I don't think it's possible to pick out a "best" unit-any information you get here will be anecdotal. That being said, in 40+ years of home ownership I've always had Lennox equipment, and never had any repairs done beyond normal, biannual maintenance. If I were ready to replace our existing Lennox equipment, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with Lennox based upon my past experience.

My experience also leads me to recommend Trane or its sister brand, American Standard. The Ruud/Rheem heat pumps are very good products at a lower cost. Lennox and Carrier are OK, but uses very proprietary parts which are typically sourced only through an authorized dealer. Goodman products are lower grade and priced accordingly. However, the most critical factor is a good install by a knowledgeable contractor/technician. As everyone on BITOG can attest, a premium part installed by an incompetent mechanic can result in unreliability not related to the actual product.

I am in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and a plain heat pump is really marginally effective, therefore, my HVAC is a Trane dual fuel heat pump unit with an integrated gas furnace. It is quite comfortable in subfreezing temperatures.

Last edited:
I have had an American Standard for 15 years now with no issues. Works well here in n.central N.C. $65oo sounds pretty pricy to me, especially if they can use ur existing lines.
I'd get several estimates.

96GT, Heat pumps are used way farther north than VA. The auxilary heat (heat strips) kick in when the heat pump is not able to capture and heat from the outside unit. I have a completely electric home about 2400 sq feet and pay $250 month max in the winter and we keep it at 67 degrees.

Genearlly, in terms of reliability, it's not much different between most major brands. If you look into Consumer Reports, and look at the data, there is only about 4% points of difference in all the big brands, and anything 3% or less is within statistical variation. IOW - they all do about as well.

That in mind, SHOP FOR PRICE!

The simpler unit you buy, the less expensive now, and the less cost should you have to pay for a part later down the road.

Nebroch, they are not used in this area. Typical lows are around 28 degrees F in the winter and typical highs are around 90 degrees F in the summer.

I should have added more info, but have been away from the computer for a while. The whole system will be replaced under the house and outside due to the age of it. Thanks for all the replies, as I have no clue where to begin on this. Your answers helped a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back