Odd noise.....brake related?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I replaced a rear brake line in my 98 Chevy truck a few months ago and with some help here on the forum got the air out of the lines. I also replaced the front brakes, calipers and rotors a week after. It has now recently started making some noises that concern me. I only drive the truck maybe once or twice a week but today it sounded like something was vibrating/rattling under the floor of the truck. It is an extended cab and my daughter said she could feel it at her feet. It would stop when I stepped on the brakes but soon start again. It only does it when driving but not ALL the time while driving. Brake pedal feel has always been slushy on this truck and brakes seem to work the same. I tested the booster with several pedal tests and it seems to be airtight. A few weeks ago while idling I thought I heard some whistling almost like a vacuum leak but couldn't be certain. It is hard to diagnose since only hearing it while driving but it is loud enough to know that something is not right at the truck. Maybe need to take it to a real mechanic but would like to diagnose it and see if I can repair it myself. Any suggestions on where to start?

It could be anything, it could be something in your front end like a shot radius arm bushing that changes when the front axle is loaded via braking. Or a U-joint.

I jacked up the front of the truck to check u-joints, bearings and such. I grabbed to front passenger wheel and spun it and immediately knew I had an issue as it rattled/clunked. Somehow I lost the lower brake caliper bolt and it was the caliper rattling and thus stopping when I used the brakes. Very possible that I forgot to tighten it but regardless I am happy to find an easy and cheap fix. $3 and some change for two bolts at Advanced Auto. Extra one for the next time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back