Possible scam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had the weirdest phone call from the "Windows call center" with a "New York" phone number, (At least that's what my caller ID said).

According to the fellow on the phone, (who sounded like "Haji" from "Johnny Quest"), I was receiving an error code on my email and he was calling to help me clear up this error.

I told him I was receiving no errors on my email, but he assured me I was.

I asked him how he got my number, to which he replied that as a registered windows user, he had my name and number on file and urged me to quickly open my email so he could repair the error code.

I told him I believed he was trying to scam me and hung up the phone.

Is this a scam or did I just hang up on the real deal?

Scam. I had a similar thing happen to me recently, except this was from a "Credit Advisor" who said I was selected to win a free credit advice session. He wanted to get my SS, and a few other things to which I happily hung up on him. If it ever happens again, call windows immediately and give them the number, etc.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Caller ID says:

"New York"

and the number is: 1-516-785-9420

That exchange is the Wantagh Seaford area.

I get calls from "Haji" to. He wants to fix a virus in my PC. I told him I don't have a computer. He says "Are you sure?"

Last edited:
Scam. There's a bunch of YouTube videos on this. Basically, they get one of these scammers on the line and string them out for as long as they can. It's amazing how patient the scammer can be when he thinks he has a fish on the line. Anyway, the scammers load the victim's computer up with a bunch of questionable software in the process. In the end the scammer is working to tease a credit card number out of the victim. In these YouTube videos, the "victim" is wise to this and stops short of giving the scammer a credit card number. That's when the ever so patient and helpful scammer gets ugly...

If you're curious and have a fair amount of time to kill (pranking a scammer takes time) search "windows scam" or something like that on YouTube.

I just had the same thing, 3 times they called. I had some fun with them. Of course it's a scam.

They first wanted me to go to www.ammyy.com, I told them I couldn't because a popup appeared about a possible trojan.

Then they wanted me to go to join.me. Again, I told them I had the popup.

Then they went to transfer me to "incident support." I was done with them by then.

Hope I wasted enough of their time.

I got that call!

He wanted to argue with me that I was, "most certainly having an error on my Windows or Apple machine."
"Well, which one is it? The Windows or Apple machine."
"You are having a problem on both."
"That's not possible."
[shouting] "THIS IS VARTY SERIOUS. YOU ARE AT RISK...!!!"
"nahhhh, I don't think so. I mean you can't even tell me if it is my Mac or PC."
"DON'T BE STUPID! YOUR APPLE OR WINDOWS MACHINE HAS A VIRUS."
"nahhh, your mother has a virus."
"YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND. YOU MUST ACT NOW!!!"

I spoke in calm and even tones, but I got pretty rude. I could not get this guy to give up.

I had a message from the "IRS" the other day that they were suing me. (my wife insists on having a landline. her mother will not use a celphone and she stays with us frequently)
I need to buy some minutes for the celphone we bought her. Call them back. The number is in Washington.

I would start out with " whats email? " "I have a nail in the corner of my windows, to keep them from being opened."
" Hold on let me check my rectal temp, i don't feel like i have a virus." "Should i open my windows? Okay, they are open, hold on , i need to go get my coat, its cold."

"I don't have a computer."
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back