Oil leak at either rear main seal or oil pan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer with 107200 miles on it. I have notice that I had an oil leak. I don't really want to tear it apart to replace the seals. I have put in Mobil Super High Mileage this past May in at the last oil change about 4500 miles ago. It had stopped leaking but now its leaking again. Do you think I should put the same oil back in? Go to 5000 miles or more? Do you think by switching, it stopped leaking and what would got it to start again? Any advice?

My 4 Runner started leaking a bit at the RMS in 1999...it left a few spots on the driveway every now and then. It had 95,000 miles on it. Now it has 254,000.

I'm thinking that I might get around to fixing...one of these days....

i would stick with a high mileage oil, if your looking for a cheap top off oil autozone has castrol synblend for $1 per quart, i would try an oil additive if it doesnt work your only out a few bucks no big deal
my car has a serious leak i have been topping it off with whatever is on sale for the last 4 years

Stick with an HM oil and add Liqui-Moly Oil Saver. Liqui-Moly is a German company with a great rep and its Oil Saver product has worked well for me, reconditioning seals to restore pliability and eliminate leaks.

The standard dose is 300ml and is available thru Amazon for about $10/dose. It should be refreshed at each oil change, but 100-150ml may be sufficient after the first use.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
My 4 Runner started leaking a bit at the RMS in 1999...it left a few spots on the driveway every now and then. It had 95,000 miles on it. Now it has 254,000.

I'm thinking that I might get around to fixing...one of these days....

Astro, I'd suggest not rushing into something like that...JMO
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks everyone. On the blazer forum, a lot there think HM oils are a waste of money. I have changed over to Mobil Super HM and it has stopped the leak till now. I am hoping to keep it for 2 to 3 more years. I am a little scared to try one of those oil additives, that it could make things worse, but maybe I will stick to a HM oil.

Liqui-moly motor oil saver.
I've yet to have an oil leak it couldn't slow to non existence. Great stuff.
Nothing beats actual replacement however if your trying to spend as little as possible this is what you want.

Hi back again, the Mobil Super HM was put in May and almost reaching 5,000 miles. Should I replace it or let it go? My drive to work is 7 miles one way, church is 3 miles and other weekend runs, tended to be longer. The owners manual says every 7500 miles, or 3000 miles for severe service. Should I just use Mobil Super HM or is other HM's better?

Originally Posted By: NH73
Hi back again, the Mobil Super HM was put in May and almost reaching 5,000 miles. Should I replace it or let it go? My drive to work is 7 miles one way, church is 3 miles and other weekend runs, tended to be longer. The owners manual says every 7500 miles, or 3000 miles for severe service. Should I just use Mobil Super HM or is other HM's better?

Anyone, please?

You could easily take a quality dino to 5000 miles depending on your driving habits. The key is to let the engine get to temperature and heat your oil up to burn off any excess moisture.

I have had no experience with Mobil Super HM, but I used M1 HM in my Jeep and it stopped the leak pretty fast. Valvoline Maxlife, Quaker State Defy and Pennzoil HM are all great choices too. Pick your poison.

GM's seem to like Maxlife so I'd probably give that a try personally. Since its a blend, it might be able to be stretched to the 7500 mile mark.

Originally Posted By: NH73
I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer with 107200 miles on it. I have notice that I had an oil leak. I don't really want to tear it apart to replace the seals. I have put in Mobil Super High Mileage this past May in at the last oil change about 4500 miles ago. It had stopped leaking but now its leaking again. Do you think I should put the same oil back in? Go to 5000 miles or more? Do you think by switching, it stopped leaking and what would got it to start again? Any advice?

After working on it today, I realized my rear main seal is not leaking. What lets some spots seems to be coming from above the starter. Hard to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back