rotella t

Status
Not open for further replies.
will probably keep using the mobil 1 in the yard vac, as it gets alot of late fall and winter action. thinking about switching the honda over to the rotella for the summer. or, find a 15 40 with better cold weather properties than the rotella. ok, i'll stop now!!! penz.

A word of caution on using Rotella sold for diesel engine use.

Rotella is a very high detergent oil and can cause excessive wear to small gasoline engines especially the ones with plastic cam lobes.

Originally Posted By: irongoat

Rotella is a very high detergent oil and can cause excessive wear to small gasoline engines especially the ones with plastic cam lobes.

Since when?
What proof is there of this?
Many people on this forum have used HDEO such as Rotella or Delo with great success in small engine applications.

Welcome to the forum!! Now may I suggest reading more and posting less because everything you just wrote is complete nonsense.

Rotella T5 10w-30 and Delo 400 XLE 10W-30 are hard to beat, and the price is right. They keep my plastic cams bright & shinny white..haha

Sounds like you are shooting your cap gun from the hip. Do your research before you wise crack.

Rotella oil has a very high detergent content. Keeping naturally occurring abrasives in suspension is ok on diesels due to the large surface areas on the crankshaft, however on lawnmowers and other small engines it's not advisable to send these particles to wear surfaces especially to the plastic cam lobes in many late model engines.

Sounds like you are shooting your cap gun from the hip. Do your research before you wise crack.

Rotella oil has a very high detergent content. Keeping naturally occurring abrasives in suspension is ok on diesels due to the large surface areas on the crankshaft, however on lawnmowers and other small engines it's not advisable to send these particles to wear surfaces especially to the plastic cam lobes in many late model engines.

I stand by my previous recommendation to read more and post less. Everything you just posted is bunk. Heavy duty engine oil (IE, "diesel oil") is perfectly fine in lawn mowers and is actually ideal.

Are you one of those guys that runs non-detergent SA oil in your power equipment? What oil do you recommend for small engines?

Most Rotella products is dual rated for diesel and gasoline use. You think a multi billion dollar company will put out a bad product for gasoline engines?

Since the particles in question are measured in microns, it doesn't matter if the cam lobes in question are 0.25" across or 2" across ... wear is wear.

I believe the non-detergent (ND) oil specs for OPE decades ago were for two reasons:

1) Less foaming in splash-lubricated engines
2) The assumption is that most owners will NOT change their OPE engine oil and ND oil allow particles to more easily drop out of suspension and lie at the bottom of the sump rather than recirculate (via splash) through the crankcase.

But ND oil is no longer spec'd for most OPE. Improved anti-foamant formulas deal with issue #1. As for issue #2, it's still a problem ... but even neglected engines will often outlast the rest of a neglected machine.

Want to clue us in s'more about the detergents in HDEO oils attacking plastic components in the lighter-duty OPE engines?
Something in a manufacturer's manual or service bulletin?

Also, can someone who has torn down a few of these newer engines describe just how much inside is plastic? I guess I can see some plastic being used ... but not for actual camshaft lobes.

I know GM used nylon timing chain gears ... which were prone to cracking and losing teeth over time. But, for several years, they seem to have held up OK in most applications.

Some engines do have plastic camshaft lobes, as well as plastic oil slingers and plastic gears. I've also seen plastic intakes instead of the older metal intakes. They are like 3-4 times more durable than the lifespan of the actual engine though based on what I've heard so they shouldn't be a problem with proper lubrication. Damaged plastic camshaft lobes would most likely be contributed to low oil or really old oil sludge that has lost viscosity.

Rotella is SM rated.

Iron, have you seen or repaired failures that were directly attributed to your theory?

I can see your point if the engine was horribly neglected, somehow only run on a non-detergent oil, then was switched over to a detergent oil. Other than that, pretty much all engine oils have detergency to them, regardless of rating.

So you are saying that in the owner's manual for these engines there are specific warnings against such oils? Or did you just make that up?

My research before I crack (wise or otherwise) would be to see what the manufacturer specifies and then use an oil that meets that specification. If the oil also happens to meet other specifications, so what?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Rotella is SM rated.

Yes, SM= Small Motor
laugh.gif

Cap guns aside, I would be more than willing to read any info irongoat has on this subject. Who knows maybe we have been doing things wrong, wouldn't be the first time....

"I use Empirical evidence rather than Anecdotal evidence."

And people were asking for your sources. Without sources, it appears you are passing along myths and hearsay. You know, like the one about Pennzoil = waxy oil?

I use Empirical evidence rather than Anecdotal evidence.

Irongoat....don't mistake anyone here beating you up. We are a community that appreciates great information and excellent data. We are all ears with research that back up your posts. If we are missing the boat, by pouring in HD oil into our yard machines....please educate us.

I use Empirical evidence rather than Anecdotal evidence.

I previously mentioned Rotella was SM rated and its stated right on the jug. What other empirical evidence do you want?

I soo much doubt that any engine oil is abrasive to any material common in engines. And plastic parts are fairly common in most/all engines, gas, diesel, small ope etc.
OPE does use plastic cams and seriously, the only worn out cams I've seen are very old metal ones.

But if there are evidence that some oils are abrasive, I'd like to know so I can avoid that complication too.

So OP, plesae enlighten us with some data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back