Anyone Know If Purolator Is Improving The Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish you hadnt pushed the filter past its intended life span
Now folks have some idea when to remove them
That is,if they want to use them at all

Originally Posted By: AHC
Let's email bomb them and let them know we're not impressed.

Call the Filter Hotline at 1-800-526-4250, visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
section, visit the Purolator Response Office and contact the PROs for automotive filtration questions, or click here to email your comment or question.

[email protected]

Purolator is well aware of the issues posted here and in other forums.

Mass emails don't work. Best is to vote with your wallet. There are other filter options for consumers to consider.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69

I don't think I used the filter passed it's intended life span. The Purolator web site rates the filter for up to 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Originally Posted By: Dallas69

I don't think I used the filter passed it's intended life span. The Purolator web site rates the filter for up to 15,000 miles.

What filter is this? I ask because I am not aware of any Purolator filter that claims a 15k maximum interval.

I took the info from here. I am not trying to poke anyone with a stick. I read this info as up to 15,000 miles.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/purolatoroilfilters.aspx

That chart on Purolator's website has been discussed many times. It's somewhat confusing and can be taken a couple different ways. I don't think Purolator is rating their Classic or PureOne to 15,000 mile OCIs ... heck, the Purolator full synthetic is only rated at 10,000 miles, so how could a Classic or PureOne be longer use duration then the filter they claim is longer use duration?

It says what it says. I don't think 15,000 is anything new or space age. I have the owner's manuals from cars I have owned in the past. From the 70's on, the manuals recommend the filter be changed every second oil change. These are v8 and v6's with 4.5 litre sumps.

I think oil filters are marketed , like oil changes, to make money for the producer/quick lube shop. Paper elements in filters have been going 15,000 miles in cars for 40+ years. What does the name "Classic" mean? Just like the good old filters of the past? This is how I interpret it. If anything, filters should have gotten better over the years.

It says what it says. I don't think 15,000 is anything new or space age.

How I read that Purolator chart is that it's distinguishing if you drive your car less or more than 15K per year ... not how long the oil filter is good for. Like I said, it is nebulous and can be taken in different ways. They clearly do not say that a Classic or PureOne oil filter is good for up to a 15K OCI. They are talking about "Driving Style", not filter max use durations in that chart.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

How I read that Purolator chart is that it's distinguishing if you drive your car less or more than 15K per year ... not how long the oil filter is good for. Like I said, it is nebulous and can be taken in different ways. They clearly do not say that a Classic or PureOne oil filter is good for up to a 15K OCI. They are talking about "Driving Style", not filter max use durations in that chart.

So, if you drive 20,000 miles per year, you should not use a classic even if you change it 4 times? You are right.....it's an oil filter vortex.

Chart's pretty useless imo. Reminds of the info that has emanated from the PRO in the past.

Going common sense here, Classic with nitrile adbv 5-6k miles range abt right. P1 ~7500-10k. Please note this excludes any tear considerations one might have.

Props to WE for giving his disclaimer/caveat at end of his Puro response post. Might or might not be factors, probably farther then I'd have gone but that's just me.

My disclaimer, though it hasn't been my experience with PL14610s over Honda 1-15% MM (6500-7500mi.) oci's, not making excuses for any tears.

Classics and typical entry level/basic paper filters should be seen as what they are: Generally best used for shorter OCIs. Not extended drains.

Remember, not so long ago they were the choice for the dogmatic 3k mile or 3 month oil changes. So, IMO I'd max them at 5 months or 5k miles to be on the safe side. For 'my' vehicle.

If the engine is close to 'brand new'? 10,000 miles on a daily driver, clean engine, and getting that mileage in say 6 months might be fine depending on the app and services seen. The issues with ALL basic filters is when trying to over-generalize or quantify the use of a product not intended for extended use based off of the sorts of experiences that it seemingly to made the 'extended use' just fine for that other person.

Who knows if two different applications that have comparbly the same driving habits, oil type, service conditions seen, engine cleanliness, etc may still have completely different results. YMMV.

When in doubt, stop being cheap and pay $5 more etc for a filter that can do the extended interval in YOUR vehicle. Not sure on the classics, or other basic filters? Cut them open and post.

36.gif

However, don't expect great results based on others experience. That's setting yourself up for failure. It's like trying to run dino to 10,000 miles constantly based off of someone else's UOA with no further data. Do not over-generalize or make blanket statements. Each oil, filter, etc are just a tool. Use it wisely.

PS: This does not mean a failed filter should be given an excuse, but all reports of failures should be properly recorded and viewed in context before making final conclusions. Just speaking objectively.

Last edited:

So, if you drive 20,000 miles per year, you should not use a classic even if you change it 4 times? You are right.....it's an oil filter vortex.

This is Purolator's filter use duration statement off their website:

Purolator PureONE oil filters should be replaced every 3,000 miles or 3 months depending on the driving conditions - or unless otherwise specified by the vehicle's manufacturer.

So, if your vehicle manufacturer said it was OK to use an oil filter for 15K miles, then it would meet the statement above. But I don't see that chart saying that the Classic and PureOne is automatically good for 15K miles ... especially when they specifically say that their full synthetic is good for up to 10K miles. Yes, that Purolator chart is a confusion vortex.
grin.gif

I don't think a well known filter manufacturer should produce a product that is not capable of safely performing the task that many people will place before it. The Oil life monitor on my car[GM] will at times call for an oil and filter change after 15,000 miles. If someone wants to produce a filter that is not capable of that, it must at the very least, have a large warning on the packaging stating that the filter is not be capable of performing to the standards required by your vehicle manufacturer.

I believe Purolator is marketing it's products as if they will meet the manufacturers requirements. Because of this I interpret their web site as claiming the Classic filter is capable of performing safely to the tune of 15,000 miles. This is not new and has been common practice for years. How can a manufacturer produce a product that does not perform to the standards set out in the maintenance schedule of the owner's guide of the automobile?

Is the Purolator classic a faulty product? I can't say.

I don't think a well known filter manufacturer should produce a product that is not capable of safely performing the task that many people will place before it. The Oil life monitor on my car[GM] will at times call for an oil and filter change after 15,000 miles. If someone wants to produce a filter that is not capable of that, it must at the very least, have a large warning on the packaging stating that the filter is not be capable of performing to the standards required by your vehicle manufacturer.

I believe Purolator is marketing it's products as if they will meet the manufacturers requirements. Because of this I interpret their web site as claiming the Classic filter is capable of performing safely to the tune of 15,000 miles. This is not new and has been common practice for years. How can a manufacturer produce a product that does not perform to the standards set out in the maintenance schedule of the owner's guide of the automobile?

If you think that chart means the Classic is good for 15K miles, what mileage do you think it says the Pure One is good for?

As I said above, Purolator's "use statement" is meant to cover a situation in your example where the OLM says change the oil and filter at 15,000 or more miles - that's the "vehicle's manufacturer requirement" part.

Can Purolator filters really meet that claim? ... that's the unknown here, and after all the media tearing issue I'd be a bit leery of running any Purolator to 15K miles.

IMHO...
The 3,000 mile change interval is pure marketing in the same way Jiffy lubes says you should change oil every 3,000 miles. Please note they also want you to change the Pureone filter every 3,000 miles.
Purolator [in their chart] is saying the Classic is good up to 15,000 miles just like the filters of yesterday and to meet the maintenance schedule requirements of todays cars. They are also saying the PureONe filter is good up to 15,000 miles plus. How much more? They are not saying.

My point is, and I'm not trying to butt heads here, is that a brand name filter made by a reputable company should have no problem meeting the longevity requirements of todays cars. Therefore statements like "the low end filters are really only good for 5,000 mile intervals" is incorrect IMO.

I still believe that most if not all low end brand name filters are supposed to be good for aprox 15,000 miles just like the filters of yesterday. Other than one particular brand, I still have no problem using them for that long.

This topic has been beaten to death.

As I said above, Purolator's "use statement" is meant to cover a situation in your example where the OLM says change the oil and filter at 15,000 or more miles - that's the "vehicle's manufacturer requirement" part.

Can Purolator filters really meet that claim? ... that's the unknown here, and after all the media tearing issue I'd be a bit leery of running any Purolator to 15K miles.

Agreed. I say 5k max them or 4 months, whatever first. If you use them.
27.gif

There is also the paint over spray on the pure ones and yellow cans! I have seem them new in the store! Its has been inside on the metal tube!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back