1 year OCI - When to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do 8k miles per year, a quality synthetic can easily handle it.

I'd recommend you to change it once a year, before winter in October or November.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I have a vehicle that based on my driving patter will require only one OCI per year. I'm doing ~8k miles per year and 95% city driving on synthetic oil. What would be the best time of the year to change the oil to maintain best oil performance throughout the year?

Would it be the best to change it before winter in November or right after winter in April? I imagine winter operation is harder on the oil than summer. Would you want to have the freshest oil with the most additives in the winter, or would you want "broken-in" and sheered oil in the winter and dump it in the spring? Does it even matter unless I'm looking for some sort of ultra long 20k mile OCI?

Generally speaking, it doesn't matter, but spring would probably be the better time as the oil is pretty beat up with the constant stop-and-go during the winter months.

Again, won't make much, if any, difference. Change it when you have time.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Quit agonizing over this issue. Change the oil every 6 months {in the spring and again in the fall). What is more important, your car or a few dollars worth of oil?

+1

Fall, then do a UOA in the spring, leaving oil in, to see if it can go for the summer.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
I have a vehicle that based on my driving patter will require only one OCI per year. I'm doing ~8k miles per year and 95% city driving on synthetic oil. What would be the best time of the year to change the oil to maintain best oil performance throughout the year?

Would it be the best to change it before winter in November or right after winter in April? I imagine winter operation is harder on the oil than summer. Would you want to have the freshest oil with the most additives in the winter, or would you want "broken-in" and sheered oil in the winter and dump it in the spring? Does it even matter unless I'm looking for some sort of ultra long 20k mile OCI?

Generally speaking, it doesn't matter, but spring would probably be the better time as the oil is pretty beat up with the constant stop-and-go during the winter months.

Again, won't make much, if any, difference. Change it when you have time.

This is true. The oil will get more beat up in the winter.

However wouldn't you want the best TBN and cold flow properties in the winter?

If I change it in the spring once winter comes I will be using oil that has been in service for ~8 months. The TBN and cold flow properties won't be as good, although they should still be relatively strong.

I guess that's why we have UOA, otherwise we could speculate all day.

I did a 13 month low mileage OCI and a UOA on a primarily short tripped vehicle in Southern California's mild climate.

Most of these short trips were not even enough to get the coolant temperature to the normal area, much less the oil temps.

The TBN was still 4.2 on M1 0w-40.

My car's factory interval is 15,000 mi and requests synthetic oil so I thought if I do around half of that I would still be doing a safe and conservative OCI. If I did it every 6 months I would be doing 4k mi synthetic OCIs which seems too often to me. I am using Castrol black bottle 5W40.

I drive a 2010 Toyota Yaris and I average 7000- 7500 miles per year. I use Mobil 1 5W30 EP in the Yaris. I change the oil once a year every May. Changing oil every 6- months would be a waste with this oil. Even with my driving habits, 80% city and 20% highway. I don't know about the Castrol, but the Mobil 1 5W30 EP is designed to go 15,000 miles or 1 year.

So changing it every year with 7500 miles or less is not a problem at all. When its changed does not matter.

I just did the yearly oil change on my wife's 08 Sportage this morning. M1 and Wix filter. She has only put 3k miles on it last year. Probably could go longer, but I wont lose any sleep over paying $30 a year for her OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back