Castrol GTX SynBlend - Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Just bought 40 quarts of Castrol SynBlend at AutoZone, all 5w30 on clearance.

I don't know anything about this oil, is it any good?

My plans to use it in:
2002 Chevy Trailblazer
1996 Jeep Cherokee
2003 Buick Rendezvous
2012 Jeep Patriot
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Sounds good to use in the above?

Thanks

Saw it too....they don't bother to tell you how much syn is in there though...

I'd hope a 50/50 blend with the dexos blend...

this was my go-to oil for many years.

always did 5,000 mile OCI's in my 89 thunderbird with this oil. After driving it for 50-60,000 miles i had to open it up to replace the head gaskets and the motor was nice and clean inside (IMO). that was with 165,000 on the clock at that time.

drove it another 50,000 miles before retiring it and nary a problem with the motor. (i think the odometer said 209,000 ish when i quit driving it).

the only reason i quit using it was i found Motorcraft syn blend was cheaper. then quit using motorcraft when i found Trop Artic syn blend was cheaper yet.

would i use it again? if the price was right, you betcha!

My local Autozone only has 10W-40 which I don't have a use for, but for $1 each I may just buy some as top-off oil...
laugh.gif

I picked up some 5w30 and 5w20. The 5w30 is 2014 date code and dexos approved. The 5w20 is 2013 and not dexos approved.

Our local AZ's got rid of a bunch of oils in the late Summer/early Fall. I stopped in the other day and nothing was on closeout! I am going to keep an eye out/ear open for this Castrol Syn/Blend. I have used it in the past and liked it!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Our local AZ's got rid of a bunch of oils in the late Summer/early Fall. I stopped in the other day and nothing was on closeout! I am going to keep an eye out/ear open for this Castrol Syn/Blend. I have used it in the past and liked it!
smile.gif

Thyreonly labeled as $1.00 per quart online. They're $5.xx on the shelf and ring up as $4.00. You gotta show them the online price and they'll match it.

I have used it for two consecutive OCI's in our KIA and plan to UOA it. Starts and runs great though, no complaints.

Castrol rarely gives you any kind of real information other than marketing blather, but since it meets Dexos 1 it should have a notable amount of syn in it I would think.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
smile.gif

Thyreonly labeled as $1.00 per quart online. They're $5.xx on the shelf and ring up as $4.00. You gotta show them the online price and they'll match it.

Aha, I see! I may try this!
smile.gif

May not bother to UOA it if it's gonna go away or become hard to find.

It looks like if I buy 7 cases (84 quarts) on line they will deliver it to my door for free. Crazy at a buck a quart. I have gotten away from stashing but that one has me thinking!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
May not bother to UOA it if it's gonna go away or become hard to find.

It looks like if I buy 7 cases (84 quarts) on line they will deliver it to my door for free. Crazy at a buck a quart. I have gotten away from stashing but that one has me thinking!
just listen to the devil on your shoulder KC and do it!

No free shipping on truck freight.
I already tried this on the site.
Shipping would run a hundred bucks, so not a deal.
You could do an online buy with store pickup, though.
I stopped by an AZ on the way home and they had plenty of GTX blend in stock proudly priced at $4.19/qt.

Is there a reason why it's so cheap. Is Castrol doing away with this oil or are they just merely changing the packaging? Either way it's a good buy. Went online and was able to buy 50 quarts with free shipping.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
No free shipping on truck freight.
I already tried this on the site.
Shipping would run a hundred bucks, so not a deal.
You could do an online buy with store pickup, though.
I stopped by an AZ on the way home and they had plenty of GTX blend in stock proudly priced at $4.19/qt.

Online, for some reason ship to store was not available for this product/price. Free shipping is available today only according to the site. I got mine!

Good for you!
I tried ordering 100 qts in various grades shipped to home.
A $100.00 shipped to home order gets you a $25.00 gift card, so net $75.00 would be quite the deal.
I cannot get free shipping out of the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back