extended interval oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Holidays!
Gotta quick question just looking for input and opinions! I plan on stocking up on some synthetic oil either Amsoil signature or Mobil 1 gold cap. As long as I've been driving i've basically always heard that fram filters are [censored] products and to stay away. Yet on this site people swear by the Fram Ultra. Is the Fram Ultra better than Amsoil EAo Filters? When my SUV's factory warranty is up I plan on running a 15k+ OCI after UOA and was wondering which filter can meet that!! thanks in advance!

Fram Ultra, Amsoil, M1, Bosch Distance are all good.

I prefer the Amsoil.

I'm using rebadged tough guards or 10000 mile intervals. When I dissect them I kick myself because they are basically clean with very little accumulation and can run even longer.
I'd have no problems running an ultra for 20000+ miles on a known clean engine.
If the engine is known dirty then none of this applies.

Royal Purple filters are pretty good.
27.gif

I got a good deal on a Royal Purple filter. I ran it for 2 oci's on my wife's 2004 xterra. It has a 3.3 quart oil capacity in its 6 Cylinder configuration and can be hard in oil. Its mostly city driving.
After 2 oci's I dissected it and had no issues to report.
Very few premium filters see issues. I think it has to do with quality filters.being.purchased by quality owners.

Any filter can do 15-20k miles in a clean engine with non-severe driving condition. There isn't much to filter in a clean engine with a good air induction system and filter.

I am saying this based on my LS400, I used low price oil filters from various brands with 1 year FCI. The car has more than 370k miles after 21 years without engine problem, the valve cover is original and it consumes 1/2 quarts in 3-4k miles since new and stay that way.

The E430 has cartridge oil filter, after 10-13k miles the filter looks like it can be used for another 10-13k miles. I didn't change the oil filter in previous oil change and it still looked good after 21-22k miles on the last oil change.

Honda oil filter isn't top of the line oil filters like FRam Ultra, Amsoil EAO ... but it can be used for 2 OCI's up to 10k miles each OCI.

What determines a filter characteristic's that qualifies it a "Extended Life" filter? Is the efficiency lower so more dirt passes? Is the media different because of the depth or material? Is the volume of the can bigger to hold more dirt? ed

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
What determines a filter characteristic's that qualifies it a "Extended Life" filter?

It's quality of construction and capacity IMO. A filter does not have to be low efficiency to be high capacity, like the Fram Ultra for example.

I run a lot of Napa Silvers, which they suggest for 3-4k OCI's. They have a lot of media and probably respectable capacity as a result, BUT they are entry level filters and likely not a very good choice for a 15k OCI. JMO.

I used to run Purolator Pure ones for 3 to 4k miles and they cost about 7 to 8 bucks a filter. Now I run Ultras for 4 to 5k mile intervals and they only cost 2 bucks more. I change it every time like I would the Pure Ones. For 2 bucks in cost over a period of 4 to 6 months I'm not concerned when I change it knowing I got the best filter IMHO for the money as shown here when my fellow members dissect one.

Originally Posted By: Droopy
I used to run Purolator Pure ones for 3 to 4k miles and they cost about 7 to 8 bucks a filter. Now I run Ultras for 4 to 5k mile intervals and they only cost 2 bucks more. I change it every time like I would the Pure Ones.

Ever consider running the Ultra for 2 OCIs? If you are doing OCIs at only 3 to 4K miles, the Ultra could go 2 OCIs with no problem. It's rated at 15K, so unless your engine is a totally sludged up it should be able to take 6 to 8K easily.

I change mobil 1 0w-30 with filter, every 5000 miles. Or with PP 5w-30 on daughters car, same interval. I'll be using Fram Ultras the next few changes, then Denso first time fits. With brsnd new oil the engines on both cars sound like they have been given a treat. Am sure others notice this. The money involved to get UOAs and analyzing extended drains isn't worth it to me, I "do it my way" as the Sinatra song goes.

Using an oil filter for 2 oil changes is nothing new. I have owned several automobiles where the owners manual suggests changing the oil filter only every second time.
1979 Chev Malibu
1992 Dodge Shadow
1993 Intrepid
1998 Dodge Caravan
This ain't rocket science.

I'm using Wix XPs (aka Napa platinums) for 2 ocis each on our Ecotecs. Each oci is ~7500 miles. I've been using Purolator or Pure1s for 2x~5000 mile ocis on the old white van, per the owner's manual. I will be switching it over to a Wix XP as well. The paper elements get hard and brittle over that long an OCI, the glass media doesn't.

I just really like the construction of the XPs over the Ultras, one of which I had fail.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I change mobil 1 0w-30 with filter, every 5000 miles. Or with PP 5w-30 on daughters car, same interval. I'll be using Fram Ultras the next few changes, then Denso first time fits. With brsnd new oil the engines on both cars sound like they have been given a treat. Am sure others notice this. The money involved to get UOAs and analyzing extended drains isn't worth it to me, I "do it my way" as the Sinatra song goes.

You are aware that mobil guarantees that oil for 10000 miles right?
So you aren't doing your engine any favours,nor your wallet,nor the environment,any favours by halving the interval.
If you like a 5000 mile interval why not use a conventional. They are more than capable of such a short drain as evidenced by the multitude of used oil analysis posted here.
Just sayin

Zee0Six I could leave it on there on my Accord for two OCI but my OCD would be going nuts so I'll stick with the Ultra for every change. On my wife's Equinox the Ultra I have in use only allows a 10k change interval and we would be near 12k if we went 2 OCI so that gets changed every time as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back