USA made wrench set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1foxracing

Facom Angle socket wrenches (Made in Czech Republic)
DSC00137.JPG

I like many choices in my wrench sets.

All great pics of nice tools,mout these have me most intrigued. Look really neat, but I'm not seeing the purpose/benefit of them vs a ratchet??.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Look really neat, but I'm not seeing the purpose/benefit of them vs a ratchet??

They're probably hollow out the top to go over long threaded studs.

Interesting. I use my hazet 14mm bent wrenches for valve adjustments. I guess it's always a "different" tool... Wonder if these would make it easier yet... Thanks for sharing!

I usually buy cheap sets (I seem to lose stuff over the years), and once in a while I will catalog what I have, write down the sizes I need, and carry that note with me. Garage sales and flea markets are places to get onsie-twosie, although if one wanted to I'm guessing you could grab a big pile and haggle.

Can't go wrong with having "lots" of sets. Ideally, one in each vehicle, and three at home. Nothing like redundancy.

Go to your local SEARS and go thru the wrenches on the shelf for "made in USA". I went to the SEARS at the Eastern Hills Mall in Clarence, NY and I was shocked at how many "made in USA" Craftsman tools were still in stock in the socket/wrench area.

That said, the mall is in an upscale suburban area and not many blue collar DIY'ers are there.

Thank you for sharing the great example of intelligent approach in acquiring tools on as needed basis without gooey sentimentality of blind brand loyalty

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Im not sure many here have blind brand loyalty to any one tool maker...

I really haven't figured that out either. But it really is amazing when a guy pulls open the tool drawers to show off some tools that don't have any scratches on them, and obviously have never had any grease or dirt on them. It's also funny how a lot of guys don't have any specialty tools (either purchased or self-engineered) sitting in the tool box next to the shiny, purchased sets.

All of my tools appear new because starting in May of this year I replaced all of them. I photographed them when new for inventory/insurance purposes.
I was a Snap On user for 20+ years and had my current truck guy for 13 years. He refused to warranty a broken 12mm Hex socket so I sold all my Snap On and replaced it with Wright Tool stuff mostly. I work down the street from the Wright Tool head quarters and if I need warranty replacement it's a quick phone call and short drive for service.

To the original poster, eBay is your friend. I recently scored a complete new set of SK flare nut wrenches for less than $45 including delivery, almost 1/3 the usual price, it will be replacing my Craftsman. Sellers sometimes show up with weird overstocks, sometimes from closed stores or government auctions, and blow out stuff cheap. Like the guy with qty 6 of SK 29mm wrenches and was blowing them out for $13 each. I offered $10 and got one. Also check out Cripe Distributing. They have a lot of Allen USA (Danaher/Apex/Allen) High Polish stuff for cheap, and Armstrong for kind of cheap. Avoid the "G" suffix Allen Made-in-China stuff.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Here are the USA made Craftsman sets. It's there professional line.
http://www.sears.com/search=craftsman professional metric wrench set

Old Craftsman Professional wrenches were US made high polish, many by SK. New CMan Pro is from China. Lately some Craftsman Industrial has been showing up on Sears that is USA.

Sometimes the sears.com website lists Craftsman Industrial as Craftsman Professional, but the picture and product is Industrial, chalk that up to the amount of cocaine taken by the data entry and database people at Sears.com. I guess they have to do something to cope with their CEO. If the picture says Craftsman Industrial and the description says Made in USA, you've found the right stuff.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Jschreffler81
I may just have to cough up the money and go for the sk set. Those in the picture look nice.

Please allow me to save you from those behemoths. The beams are square with sharp corners and for some reason - SK feels the need to amass a huge amount of steel around the box area. You can thank me later.

Are you talking about the old, old SK raised panel wrenches? Or the early SuperKrome's that were transitional to the latest high polish? I have all 3 generations and yes the first and second gen are square beamed. The old raised panels were indeed massive. I have a few my Grandfather ground down into custom obstruction wrenches. They got the job done at are still useful. Back then SK was just another mid-level brand.

My modern (15 years old to yesterday) SK wrenches are not square beamed, just rounded, and not knife-edged like my GearWrench ratcheting wrenches (which I plan to get rid of).
Originally Posted By: Kruse
It's also funny how a lot of guys don't have any specialty tools (either purchased or self-engineered) sitting in the tool box next to the shiny, purchased sets.
Not my pic, but... I've had my standard pattern Metric SK 12-point Combination wrenches for almost 15 years now, and they still look new. They only look a little worn when put next to my week-old Long Pattern 6-pt SK set. I'm not a pro but these wrenches have gotten a workout over the years. Also, I don't abuse my tools.

My wrenches have their own drawer, as do my specialty tools. With the proper tool holder (usually Ernst Grippers) I can cram a LOT of wrenches in one shallow drawer. It really speeds up finding them and making sure everything is still there when cleaning up. I can also grab-n-go easily, and oh yeah, lately SK wrenches come in their own special Green color Ernst Grippers.

Having a brand other than Craftsman really helps when sorting out who-has-what at the end of a driveway rescue job. Let the other 3 Craftsman owners argue while I leave with my SK's.
smile.gif

I was just looking around at the local Sears Outlet today and found these USA made Craftsman wrenches. At $12.99 for each set, I couldn't pass them up. That's like Harbor Freight pricing. They also had a bunch of socket sets on sale for great prices, and they were also all made in the USA.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I was just looking around at the local Sears Outlet today and found these USA made Craftsman wrenches. At $12.99 for each set, I couldn't pass them up.

Great find!

US made Craftsman pickings are getting slim at Sears, except for a few items still made here, like some of the pliers by Western Forge.

Wright Tool Black Industrial finish are easy to differentiate in my tool box. They are some classy wrench..

Has anyone else noticed sears is putting the price tag sticker over where it says made in China? I was at my local sears which is actually having a going out of buisness sale and nearly all craftsman hand tools wrenches ratchets etc if I peal back the price tag there was the "made in China" I read about this on another forum and just had to see for myself while Christmas shopping there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back