Sludge under oil cap (picture). How bad is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No h/o flood on carfax. The last owner had the car since 81000 miles. Assuming that the car was serviced before that, we are probably looking at 30000-35000 mile OCI.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
No h/o flood on carfax. The last owner had the car since 81000 miles. Assuming that the car was serviced before that, we are probably looking at 30000-35000 mile OCI.

And a lot of under 3 mile trips at that. It would look better if the motor actually DID use oil.......Assuming they put some in.

Well I'm on the other side here. For me,knowing it needs a few things and is going to need some cash I'd just make my max bid lower.
If you can get the car for cheap enough then putting a few bucks into it fixing stuff is fine,as long as total monies spent dont exceed market value for the unit.
It's simple math. For example if the car is valued at 6000 but gets it for 3000 and has to put 2000 into it then your 1000 ahead.
So figure out how much in dollars the car needs in maintenance and take that off the fair market value price and don't bid above that price.
Easy peasy,right?

If you are willing to risk 2 grand, id say its a good car to risk it on..if you did get it cleaned up, who knows it might possibly work out in the long run..it will be a big project but i myself would be curious to see the pics of the internals etc.. if you can afford to lose 2 grand, the least you will get out of it is a learning experience. Were you able to hear the car start or hear it while it idled?

Why not bid anyway? Just decide how high you'd want to go, and stick to it. You might even be ahead if the body"s good and you might find a replacement engine for cheap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Poohbah
Previous owner definitely not a BITOG member.

X2!! Looks like a one-oil-change-since-new vehicle.

95% of auction vehicles have problems unless you get into newer high $$ models. You need to get a good enough deal on it that you could replace the engine and tranny and still be $$ ahead. I have done this a few times and so far so good but there is a lot of junk going through those auctions. Can't beat auction prices but understand there are likely issues and it just depends on if you are up to fixing those problems.

Buy for less than 2K, pull valve cover and oil pan, wash inside with a few gallons of kerosene or something.

Last edited:
I lost this one. Someone bid more than I did. The sludge got sold for $2250 (+ auction fees).

I can imagine the car will get cleaned, oil changed and will sell on some used car lot for 5-6 k as a clean, reliable, and low mile car.

I doubt that motor will be reliable in the long term.

Or would you be able to clean it up and drive another 100k miles without problems?

I was sarcastic about the reliability, as I'm sure it will be resold later after some cosmetic cleaning.

Finally, I just won an auction on clean title 2003 Saturn Ion with slightly higher miles fairly cheap. I overpaid $100 because I was not familiar with the Copart live auction and clicked bid a few times too many, LOL. The engine looked clean on this one. There was no dipstick to check ATF, but the 5-speed Aisin tranny is considered very reliable from what I've read.

^Nice turn of events!
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back