Anybody rebuild their own alternator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running (4) vehicles in the 150k-220k range I have yet to change out the OEM alternator. I would not bother till it breaks....

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: OldSparks
The alternator on my son's Hyundai Tiburon seized when sitting in the garage for a few weeks. Probably the brushes stuck on the slip rings? I would try to rebuild it, but I can't source any parts for it locally.

I had a jeep at work do this after sitting for months. I eventually bought said jeep. I put a breaker bar on a socket on the "big nut" inside the pulley and busted whatever inside froze, loose.

It squeaked for a while then quieted down and worked.

That would have trashed the brush holder, so it must have been a bearing.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
This post got me to thinking about the alternator in my FX4 (which is heavy duty for the towing package it has). AAP has a lifetime warranty unit for $210 which I could reduce to a lower price with a code. At what price point is it worth to try and rebuild yourself? 50% less? 25%? Just curious what the thoughts are...

There's also the opportunity cost of screwing around. A dead alternator, you can leave on the car to tension the belt, drive to the parts store on battery power, and get what you need.

It's a bit sketchier to have your alt in pieces if you don't have another ride, but, conversely, cheap if you have the ability to order parts, wait for UPS, etc.

I would wait until it broke, buy another from a junkyard, then when IT broke, fix the first one or combine the two. Being a Ford truck app I'd look for an "ambulance alternator" on ebay-- they're standard output alts with only a couple of miles on them from the new cab & chassis getting upfitted with the ambulance box and high-output alternator.

I've had many OE Japanese alternators last over 200k with no issues. I have had two cars with Bosch OE alternators that had mechanical failures in less than 70K.

I bought a spare Alternator for a toyota of mine about 12 years ago, it is still sitting on the shelf.

My point is that it is hard to predict what part will fail when. If your 90K are all 2 mile trips, I would be more likely to do proactive repairs than if they are all highway miles.

There is maintenance, and there is wasting money. Rebuilding a perfectly functioning alternator might make sense at 150 or 200 k miles... but at 90k... why...? Seems early... Maybe look for an oem one at a wrecker... and rebuild that one... then you'd have a spare...!

Unless you do it simply for the enjoyment.... which is fine... but I'm not sure I would mess with the oem part unless I had to...

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
This post got me to thinking about the alternator in my FX4 (which is heavy duty for the towing package it has). AAP has a lifetime warranty unit for $210 which I could reduce to a lower price with a code. At what price point is it worth to try and rebuild yourself? 50% less? 25%? Just curious what the thoughts are...

How handy are you ? If you are then 25% less is worth it. If you don't have necessary tools and not so handy then 50% or more.

Since I don't have right tools and not so handy I don't think I'm capable of rebuilding anything.

Years ago, I decided that the no-charge problem with the Lucas alternator on my MGB was probably the regulator.
I bought the part, put it in and all was well.
Decent alternators seem to last about forever.
I replace one on our '76 Civic years ago at maybe 120K and have never replaced one since, and since then we've had cars exceed 200K.

Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
I recently replaced the alternator in my Saab with a Mexican rebuilt for $115 from RockAuto, and prior to that I always bought rebuilt alternators from my local parts store. From my own experience working at an auto parts store I know there is a huge markup on rebuilt parts. My Dodge Ram is approaching 90k miles and I'm thinking about doing some proactive maintenance in the near future, to include cooling system flush, t-stat, water pump, and serpentine belt. While I have the belt off I might as well pull the alternator too. I saw an online video of a guy rebuilding the Bosch alternator from a Dodge Ram and it looked ridiculously easy. Didn't find a rebuild kit for that alternator, but I found a source for the bearings. If I can find the voltage regulator maybe I'll try to rebuild it myself. Anybody here rebuild a Bosch alternator, or any alternator?

Here ya go. In all likeliness this is all you'll ever need. I bought a rebuild kit for mine a few years ago and keep it on the shelf. This way when it acts up, I've already got the parts available and can do it in an afternoon.
The outboard bearing on the wifes VW TDI went out last year and I was able to source both bearings, brushes and the VR for 1/3 of the price of the cheapest reman I was able to source. If you have the means and the time, it is well worth the savings to rebuild your own.

From the years I have worked on stuff my observations. Usually when there is noise from an alternator it is not the bearings,it is a bad rectifier or diode. On later models with clutch type pulleys it is usually the pulley. Everyones experience will vary

Originally Posted By: jrmason
Originally Posted By: Joel_MD
I recently replaced the alternator in my Saab with a Mexican rebuilt for $115 from RockAuto, and prior to that I always bought rebuilt alternators from my local parts store. From my own experience working at an auto parts store I know there is a huge markup on rebuilt parts. My Dodge Ram is approaching 90k miles and I'm thinking about doing some proactive maintenance in the near future, to include cooling system flush, t-stat, water pump, and serpentine belt. While I have the belt off I might as well pull the alternator too. I saw an online video of a guy rebuilding the Bosch alternator from a Dodge Ram and it looked ridiculously easy. Didn't find a rebuild kit for that alternator, but I found a source for the bearings. If I can find the voltage regulator maybe I'll try to rebuild it myself. Anybody here rebuild a Bosch alternator, or any alternator?

Wow, finally a helpful post! Most of the guys replying here are not contributing much to the discussion. I buy filters and stuff from Geno's but didn't realize they had the alternator repair kit. Thanks jrmason!

Here ya go. In all likeliness this is all you'll ever need. I bought a rebuild kit for mine a few years ago and keep it on the shelf. This way when it acts up, I've already got the parts available and can do it in an afternoon.
The outboard bearing on the wifes VW TDI went out last year and I was able to source both bearings, brushes and the VR for 1/3 of the price of the cheapest reman I was able to source. If you have the means and the time, it is well worth the savings to rebuild your own.

The Bosch alternator on the 528s is very fixable. But mostly it is worn brushes. They could be replaced with a few drops of solder , if you could find them. Instead, you must buy a 40$ part. Or less. Thats about it and the alternator is good as new.

No problem Joel. Genos actually carries quite the assortment of most anything you could ever need from a maintenance operation perspective. They really do their homework and buy quality stuff, not just whatever they can get the best deal on. I rebuilt the starter in my 98 over the summer and it's turning over better than it has in several years. $40 for upgraded replacement parts and I kept my original starter vs. $200+ for a cheap reman, I got the best of both worlds on that deal as well.
They offer good discounts every month on maintenance packages so I keep an eye out for the sales and stock up on stuff in advance.

I guess my time is more valuable than spending it rebuilding components. I just get a reman and put it on and take the core back and get the money for it. Starters, alternators, air dryers, etc. All remanned and core exchange.

Fair enough, and to each his own. For me, it's an hour round trip if I gotta make a special trip to an auto parts store. It took me less time than that to rebuild the altenator and about that to rebuild the starter in my truck. Given the quality of reman parts these days, if I have to buy something I'm going to buy new. I've had enough reman parts fail on me 2-3 years down the road that the "lifetime" warranties they come with don't give me that warm fuzzy feeling anymore. Especially when I'm several hours from home and trying to find a parts store to exchange my still-fairly-new-junk for some more new junk.

A new starter for my truck runs roughly $400 vs a rebuild kit with upgraded parts for $65, (I misquoted the price in my above post)to me that's a no brainer. Even comparing to reman prices of $225, I'd still spring for the rebuild kit knowing it was done properly. To me, it's an easy decision when you figure your saving yourself a few hundred bucks for an hours worth of work, but it all comes down to what were comfortable with.

Joel, if you ever have any problems with your starter this is where I would go for parts. I think Genos sells the same kits but I order directly through Larrys website. As long as your comfortable with doing a little soddering rebuilding the starter is a breeze as well.
http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/starters/rebuild-kits.html

Last edited:
And it helps, that I send the wife in to get replacement components as I need them and they are waiting for me when I get the equipment or trucks home. And in doing this, I get to write off 55.5 cents a mile in tax deduction for the miles she racks up going and getting parts. She usually combines it with shopping or having lunch with one of her friends in town. And the replacement parts are business expense write offs also, so in the broad scheme or things, it is just more practical to get remanned parts and do the exchange thing. Like I stated, my time is too valuable to be playing around with rebuilding components. Only if there is no other way to get things done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back