An opinion please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1955 Chevy Pickup; 3sp+ overdrive.
Hi,
I need to replace a couple of the oil seals on the overdrive unit. The transmission & OD are on the vehicle. Because as is their nature oil seals are fairly tight to put in & it's a bit hard to maneuver under the vehicle, I'm thinking of placing the oil seals in the fridge overnight-thinking that they will shrink just enough so that they will go in a bit easier. Do you think that's a good idea? And what about the freezer? (would that ruin them?}
Thank you for your help,
Henry
PS: The seals are made out of rubber

I have never had to resort to freezing a seal in order to fit it.

Is this a seal on the out put shaft?

I assume that seeing as the O/D is still on the truck, it's not an internal seal.

Most shaft seals have a steel external collar. Drive it in with a large socket, so as you are driving the seal evenly with pressure only on the seals circumference.

Expat seems to have answered it.
As for the freezer damaging the seal here in Ontario I recall a low of -40F years ago so I bet the seal is built to take some northern cold. it may be prone to tear when you seat it though.

It's the solenoid & lock out lever oil seals on the overdrive unit.They install into bores.
The shafts penetrate the seals after the seals are installed.
Was not really thinking of freezing it(..just curious). But just putting it inside fridge overnight to see if if it would slide in a little bit easier at the beginning of the operation.
Thank you for your help,
Henry

If I understand correctly, you think it may be difficult to drive in the seals because of limited space, and think that chilling them to slightly shrink the metal shell may help you install them more easily. I would think it is worth a try - sure can't hurt. Like the poster above mentioned: if a seal can take the cold of winter, year after year, a few hours in the freezer sure won't hurt.

Yes, somewhat limited space under the truck to work under. Body not as supple as it used to be. Trying to make the job as easy as possible.
One of the seals seems to be made of rubber with one side being pretty hard.(..the side that you would strike to push it into the hole; National 240698 Oil Seal ). The other seal does have a metal shell(SKF 6130 Grease Seal) . They're actually pretty small seals.
Best,
Henry

Did it today. Put it in the freezer for a couple of hrs, lubed the side & tap it in. Nice fit.
Thank you,
Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back