Battle of the Lame Tires - OEM rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Concur here. The Grabbers were rated near the top by Consumers Reports a few years ago.

I'll have to dig my spares out of the shed but when I bought my F250, it had some new-looking Michelin tires on it. Dealer used em' as a selling point too. I noticed the tires seemed to wear aggressively, even though I only towed three times (friend's 37 foot bumper pull) for a dew hundred miles on those tires. They were getting very dangerous to drive on in the rain, so I purchased a new set of Cooper Discovery tires and kept two of the Michelin's as spares. 6 months later, the back two tires on my truck are wearing thin rapidly. Googled it and apparently the F250/350 trucks are notorious for wearing out the back tires first.

Originally Posted By: CKN
You may be correct. But I think the tire manufacturers are "shooting themselves in the foot"........
The tire manufacturers have 2 choices: Either supply the tires the OEM requires or supply nothing at all.

Supplying tires to an OEM is good business. It is steady and it is easy - same tire day after day for 3 years with delivery on a regular basis.

Warranty? Basically none. No mileage warranty, and any vibration ought to be handled by the vehicle dealer.

CKN said:
.......Yeah, I know the tire guys say that customers choose the brand that comes with the car (most of the time) but that hasn't been my experience.

Actually, the OEM selects who will be supplying the tires and once decided, that's it. A guy buying a new car has no choice as to what tire comes on the vehicle (except to say there are a few exceptions and there is always the possibility of negotiating a different set of tires as part of the bargaining process.)

Opps: Quoteblock fail!!

Here's what it should look like:

You may be correct. But I think the tire manufacturers are "shooting themselves in the foot"........

The tire manufacturers have 2 choices: Either supply the tires the OEM requires or supply nothing at all.

Supplying tires to an OEM is good business. It is steady and it is easy - same tire day after day for 3 years with delivery on a regular basis.

Warranty? Basically none. No mileage warranty, and any vibration ought to be handled by the vehicle dealer.

.......Yeah, I know the tire guys say that customers choose the brand that comes with the car (most of the time) but that hasn't been my experience.

Actually, the OEM selects who will be supplying the tires and once decided, that's it. A guy buying a new car has no choice as to what tire comes on the vehicle (except to say there are a few exceptions and there is always the possibility of negotiating a different set of tires as part of the bargaining process.) [/quote]

Our Fusion came with Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires from the factory, and they were just replaced at 44,000 miles. Each tire had about 5/32" left on them, but with winter here, on went the Pirelli P7s
smile.gif
for an OEM tire, the Michelins weren't the worst, but definitely had some shortcomings. They were nice and quiet on the road, which made long trips nice. Wet traction was fine, as I cannot ever recall locking up or hydroplaning in even the worst rain. Snow performance was definitely sub par. The tires had minimal siping and large tread blocks, which probably didn't help anything. But my least favorite thing about those tires, besides the sidewall cracking, was how poorly they handled. The car felt like it was going to understeer into oblivion when making U-turns, even when new.

The Tracker came with Uniroyal tiger paws, but I think these were the declawed version... I guess they were quiet, but wet traction was terrible and got worse as they aged. They did wear like iron though, with over half tread depth with 60-70k miles...
So far my favorite tire on the Tracker has been these new first gen Michelin X-ice I found for cheap. Good in the summer and in the winter too.

Not impressed with the Michelin MXV4s our Odyssey came with. I feel like it is just too heavy for the tires. The grip is marginal and they are on track to wear out by 30k miles. Sad, because I had a set on my old Mazda3 and they were awesome in that size/application.

I don't remember what Goodyear came on my G35, but they were horrible, and close to $400 a piece. The OE Goodyear RS-A's that came on the FX were bad in every regard except for being perfectly balanced, also horribly expensive in the OE size. My tundra came with BFG rugged trails that didn't work well anywhere.

The only car that we bought with tires that worked well was the BMW, it came with some conticontact variety that was horribly rated but worked well on that car.

I have had so many bad GY OE tires, if I hadn't happened to buy some good goodyears, I would think they were all junk.

I'm convinced that the OE tires are not the same as the same brand/model you buy aftermarket. Too many people have poor life of some oe tires , while others who bought the same tire get great life from them. I have some continental contipro contacts that wore really even all the way around, were maintained properly with air, alignment was not out of spec, yet were shot at about 24k. Others on the board had the same tire purchased aftermarket and got better mileage , like double.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm convinced that the OE tires are not the same as the same brand/model you buy aftermarket.......

Allow me to confirm that.

Also allow me to talk about what is involved in qualifying a tire for OE and what that means to you - here:

Barry's Tire Tech - OE Tires

Short version: The OEM (Vehicle Manufacturer) sets the specs the tire has to meet - and they are different than what a consumer would want. A consumer wants wear and traction and a vehicle manufacturer wants fuel economy - and those 3 things are incompatible.

Also each OEM has its own ideas of what 3 way compromise is needed, so each OE tire is different than every other OE tire. And tires for the aftermarket are different still.

MXV4 did poorly on our Camry, and I don't think that is a heavy application. Check the speed and tread rating for your size against what was on the Mazada.

Edit: oops, missed second page.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Not impressed with the Michelin MXV4s our Odyssey came with. I feel like it is just too heavy for the tires. The grip is marginal and they are on track to wear out by 30k miles. Sad, because I had a set on my old Mazda3 and they were awesome in that size/application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SF0059

That is weird; we have the exact same tire on our Acura MDX (literally, the P235/65R17 Primacy MXV4) and wear is pretty good. We're getting on to about 7,000 miles on the tires and they've worn about 1/32". If they continue to wear at this rate, we're looking at 56,000 miles to the wear bars...which I think is decent for a 4,500 pound AWD SUV.

I'm convinced that the OE tires are not the same as the same brand/model you buy aftermarket.

I think this statement is true when you apply it to an entire tire model line. Like Michelin Primacy MXV4 for example. Some part numbers are OEM tires and others are not.

But when you look at specific part numbers, I think the tire you buy in the aftermarket sometimes is the same as the one the factory puts on. For instance, the Primacy MXV4 in P235/65R17. Michelin has just one part number for this tire in this size: 66126. These tires on our Acura MDX (purchased at BJs) are, to my knowledge, the exact same tires that Honda installed on SF0059's Odyssey at the factory.

If OEM tires are not "garbage" how come the noise levels on many are so loud? I don't care if you drive a new Econo box or a $60,000 pickup- most would like quiet tires. The Goodyear LS on my Silverado were loud and garbage as were the Bridgestones EL-400s on my Subaru. Both tires were loud garbage. And both vehicles were purchased new.

The Assurances on my Magnum were as loud as the Winterforce snows I ran.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Goodyear wranglers.

Amen! Suffered through these on both new Dakota's. Wore like iron wheels... traction like iron wheels. I made the mistake of buying Goodyear's to replace one set. Sales guy said they would be a lot better than OEM. Thats when I found out it didn't matter what two or three letters were after the word "Wrangler". They were better, but not "a lot better." (I've since found a better tire shop).
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Good/Year Integrity! Which used to come on several vehicles that I am familiar with! These came OE on my '01 RX-300 in my signature. Couldn't wait to get rid of them!

You said it! Used Pilot came with second set of these, why the original owners bought OEM tires is beyond me. Loud, poor traction, average lifespan, fuel economy was their one and only virtue.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Both tires were fine for the first year then, their performance plummeted rapidly! They're all fine on a nice sunny in day JUNE. It's when the foul weather arrived is when they showed their true colors.

I've heard it said the first 10K miles you get from your tires are the best 10K miles. It's all downhill from there (figuratively speaking).
I'm convinced that the OE tires are not the same as the same brand/model you buy aftermarket.

You would be correct. For the Goodyear Integrity, for example, the OEM Honda Pilot tire comes with 2/32 less tread than the other sizes. Not that I'd buy the other size either, if I needed that size. Not just a hit on Goodyear, Michelin has some OEM tires with similar tread deficiencies.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
You would be correct. For the Goodyear Integrity, for example, the OEM Honda Pilot tire comes with 2/32 less tread than the other sizes.

What size is this? I'm not seeing that on Goodyear's website:

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/integrity-tires/sizes-specs

The P235/70R16 has 11/32" of starting tread, which is at least as much as other sizes of the Integrity.

Tire Rack's database seems to indicate the same thing:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Integrity

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: HangFire
You would be correct. For the Goodyear Integrity, for example, the OEM Honda Pilot tire comes with 2/32 less tread than the other sizes.

What size is this? I'm not seeing that on Goodyear's website:

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/integrity-tires/sizes-specs

The P235/70R16 has 11/32" of starting tread, which is at least as much as other sizes of the Integrity.

Hmm. I think I have confused it with another one of my vehicle's OEM tires, I distinctly remember finding an OEM tire of mine with a shorter tread.

To distract attention from my failing memory, I have to point out that the tirerack.com and the Goodyear site don't agree. The P225/60R16 comes in two 10/32 varieties on the Goodyear link you gave, while it is listed as 11/32 and "blank" on tirerack.com. But you're right, with this particular tire I cannot find a shorter tread OEM version on the manufacturer's site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back