Am losing brake fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just started yesterday. The brake fluid reservoir is a little low. Twice, the light came on (red Brake! light on dash) and twice I topped up brake fluid.

It is being looked at now. I am hoping for a leaking line, an easy fix.

1999 Ford Expedition.. Any other idea of what it could be? (I have a few ideas)

check for leaks!

e.g. front calipers, rear wheel cylinders, firewall (where master cylinder mounts onto, along with the mating surface where the brake booster meet the master cylinder (and also where booster meets the firewall).

Q.

First place I would look is on the rubber hoses running to the front calipers. Had one of those split on me once, the vehicle was less than 10 years old.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, you can have a leak by reusing banjo washers. When you tighten the bolt for the brake hose, that makes an impression into the banjo washer. If you go to reuse the banjo washer, the brake fluid will leak out from the previous impression. That happened to me on a '78 Cadillac.

So many places where leaks can occur (including the master cylinder, which can leak into the booster so that you never see the fluid) but start with the steel lines ( which can rust) and the hoses that deteriorate with age.

In NJ, rust is serious issue.

If the line/hose gives out, you'll have NO BRAKES, so you're wise to have this in the shop now...

Last edited:
Rusty metal lines. NJ just gave up on safety inspections a couple years back so this is going to start popping up everywhere.

Don't drive this in traffic, don't change your ATF, clean your injectors, etc until you figure this out.

f18ff4f2216d1273551b0618f900e779.jpg

You can see the Expo on the left hand side.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Believe it or not, you can have a leak by reusing banjo washers. When you tighten the bolt for the brake hose, that makes an impression into the banjo washer. If you go to reuse the banjo washer, the brake fluid will leak out from the previous impression. That happened to me on a '78 Cadillac.

you are 100% right. Any hydraulic fitting that uses an o ring or washer I always recommend changing them. Also if no fluid is leaking on the ground it could be a leak inside the vehicle. like the firewall. Or even a leak where the booster hides it.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
So many places where leaks can occur (including the master cylinder, which can leak into the booster so that you never see the fluid) but start with the steel lines ( which can rust) and the hoses that deteriorate with age.

In NJ, rust is serious issue.

If the line/hose gives out, you'll have NO BRAKES, so you're wise to have this in the shop now...

ha ha you posted before I saw it. Sound advice.

Been in the shop all day.

Verdict: Front brake hoses, and pads.

Parts, and all labor, included: $175.

Next issue noticed: Reverse lights do not appear to come on when vehicle is going backwards. (!)
- also.. may have to flick high beams on, then off, after turning on headlights, to get low beams to come on. ....

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Been in the shop all day.

Verdict: Front brake hoses, and pads.

Parts, and all labor, included: $175.

Next issue noticed: Reverse lights do not appear to come on when vehicle is going backwards. (!)
- also.. may have to flick high beams on, then off, after turning on headlights, to get low beams to come on. ....

That is ridiculously cheap. I have no idea why anyone would want to get paid so little for their work. But I'm glad that you found a shop that you enjoy using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back