1991 350 Chevy Blazer Wont Start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

So here are the issue. For the last several months while driving, I would lose amps after hitting a bump or sudden stop and quickly regain power shortly after (Not sure if this is part of my existing problem). This led me to believe it was a poor ground connection to the battery or starter as several times I would turn the key and solenoid would click without turning over. Replaced negative cable to the batter, but problem persisted.

This last week, the truck started, drove it down the road, it sat for 30 - 60 min and would turn over but not fire. Went back the next day fired right up drove it home and without checking spark i replaced the Ignition Module. Truck started up fine and after taking it on a test drive it started idling at 40 mph, got on the highway to drive back and after driving for .5 of a mile at 55 mph, idled at normal speed and could not recreate the issue.

Truck ran great for a week and after running a quick errand with engine hot it would not start. With the original electrical issue I believed the issue to be with the starter so replaced that and still not starting.

Engine has spark, so I believe it is a fuel issue, but I am stumped. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott

This engine has a 350 TBI.

Have you rebuilt the throttle body recently? These engines require a pretty precise fuel pressure (8-11psi if I recall). A common issue is the pressure regulator.

It's a simple rubber diaphram with a metal seat/insert where the pressure spring seats to the diaphram. These can leak quite easily and become brittle.

So, if it was my truck (I own a 350 TBI), I'd change the fuel filter ($8) and buy a TBI rebuilt kit from Napa ($25). The TBI comes apart real easy. Clean it well. Replace all the gaskets and of course, change the pressure regulator diaphram included in the kit.

If your fuel pump is failing, you might not be able to maintain the proper fuel pressure....but try these two things first.

If the TBI rebuild doesn't work with new fuel filter (takes about 2 hours labor), a trick if you're in a bind and can't replace fuel pump right away, is to insert a US quarter or two into the bottom of the TBI base where the spring seats to the TBI, and this shims up the spring and will create more fuel pressure until you can get a new fuel pump in it.

Last edited:
You could have a bad dash ground or internal cabin ground that effects the computer, fuel pump, etc. Thus your dash gauge going crazy. Keep digging.

I'd Check the ign switch and it's circuit.An old wobbled out switch can show itself in all strange behaviors.The connectors under the column and lower dash should be taken apart checked for corrosion...the usual routine.
One time i heard of a neutral safety switch flaking out and causing random stalling ...like a kill switch effect.

Also check the battery. I had a battery that had an intermittent open circuit. All sorts of interesting problems until I replaced the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back