Question on toyota 2AZFE engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the engine in my scion, atleast I think i have the model # right.k Anyways, I've run some 5w30 and 10w30 oils in it while trying to see if anything would help quiet down my valvetrain and piston slap noises. This car of course calls for 5w20 or 0w20. I've noticed when running the thicker oils, especially my last oci using Castrol Syn. Blend 5w-30, it seems a little more sluggish, particularly in the lower rpms and I can feel "steps" in the power band, similar to the older honda engines with v-tec where they would switch to the higher lift/duration lobes on the cam. At first i thought it might just be my injectors starting to get dirty as I havn't run any fuel system cleaner through it in the past 15,000miles and had always done that once every oci in the past. I am currently running Mobil Super 5000 5w20 in it and have noticed bottom end when pulling out from a stop seems a little better, and the power band seems smoother. My theory is the thicker oil was affecting the opertion of the cam phazers and this is why I felt the differences in the power band. Do you guys think this holds any merit?

I cannot comment on your experience with your cam phazers. However, I have switched over my 98 Sienna to Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and I have to say that the engine is very quiet once it's warmed up. It's the quietest that it's ever been.

Since you are in PA where you do get cold temps this time of year I would use full synthetic, to protect better during cold starts.

I have been using PP as well since my engines factory fill was drained (-1 interval from 600-1000 miles where I ran a batch of dino) It has performed flawlessly for me and the oil level has always remained the same through the entire interval.

Depending on the design, a higher oil pressure will retard the cam (in a variable design) and you will loose low end torque. at very low revs ( idel and just off idle) the oil port solenoid will be switched to full retard on the intake to limit I/E overlap. This would be on a Intake variable cam only system.

Again - I don't know what Toyota is doing these days, but our old 2azfe when newish in our MT 05 rav4 would make a Bimmer or Porsche 4 cyl blush. Very VERY snappy and urgent. When they fall out of tune though, they fall very far. BTW the car only REALLY liked ACDelco (non-ecore) filters OR the Japan Toyota denso filters (dense foam like media) Mine didn't like the Thailand densos.
1351372d1391535547-genuine-toyota-oil-filter-japanese-vs-thailand-made-15760_original.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Depending on the design, a higher oil pressure will retard the cam (in a variable design) and you will loose low end torque. at very low revs ( idel and just off idle) the oil port solenoid will be switched to full retard on the intake to limit I/E overlap. This would be on a Intake variable cam only system.

Again - I don't know what Toyota is doing these days, but our old 2azfe when newish in our MT 05 rav4 would make a Bimmer or Porsche 4 cyl blush. Very VERY snappy and urgent. When they fall out of tune though, they fall very far. BTW the car only REALLY liked ACDelco (non-ecore) filters OR the Japan Toyota denso filters (dense foam like media) Mine didn't like the Thailand densos.
1351372d1391535547-genuine-toyota-oil-filter-japanese-vs-thailand-made-15760_original.jpg

Off topic, did you trade in your Versa?

5w30 is recommended for that engine in Australia, and probably the rest of the world too - hundreds of thousands of them are running around with no problems. I seriously doubt a small change in oil viscosity would noticeably affect the operation of the engine. In my humble opinion, it's mind over matter.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Off topic, did you trade in your Versa? [/quote] Yes to the dealer that I bought it from as they refused to acknowledge the VERY loud engine rap. When the manager test drobv eit I was waiting for them to refuse the trade then I would have them in a catch 22. They took the trade for 1000 dollars more than I owed on it over a 1000 + 500 dollar discount on the Rogue.
Man its tough getting 23mpg overall where Im use to over 36 mpg for the past decade. Thouse older designed CVT are fuel suckers. Must be the hydraulic pump to hole the pulley spread and the significant belt friction loss - which doesn't exist in a planetary AT in top gear.

My wife gets 32mpg overall in the 2015 forester with a MT and 40/60 city/highway driving mix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back