astonishing repair costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at my favorite indy shop locally and was talking to the owner there about a 360 Modena they had on a rack. I had seen them driving it and asked what it was in for. The owner began a long tale about a nice gentleman who picked it up used for 60k, spent 12k on it elsewhere, and then brought it to them when Ferrarri of Tampa Bay quoted 16k for a trans rebuild!

It also has a howl in the rear end that sounds like a bearing issue but has been reported by Modena owners a lot and considered normal by many.

This poor man better have DEEEEP pockets!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
and then brought it to them when Ferrarri of Tampa Bay quoted 16k for a trans rebuild!

I'm guessing that part of it is parts availability. The other part is just "we are going to charge you extra because it's a Ferrari. If you can afford a Ferrari, you should be able to afford high repair bills."

The more exclusive the brand, the higher the bills.

If he is affluent.... he can afford the repair bill.

If he is not affluent and a poser pretending to have money he is in DEEP [censored].....
55.gif

I like to say, "nothing's more expensive than a cheap Mercedes" but in this case you can swap in Ferrari for Mercedes.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I was at my favorite indy shop locally and was talking to the owner there about a 360 Modena they had on a rack. I had seen them driving it and asked what it was in for. The owner began a long tale about a nice gentleman who picked it up used for 60k, spent 12k on it elsewhere, and then brought it to them when Ferrarri of Tampa Bay quoted 16k for a trans rebuild!

It also has a howl in the rear end that sounds like a bearing issue but has been reported by Modena owners a lot and considered normal by many.

This poor man better have DEEEEP pockets!

My mechanics work on the odd expensive car too, which I guess is caused by the stealerships high prices. They now are pretty good at figuring out how to keep all the hydraulic systems on a 60's Bentley T1 in good order.
It must be nice for the tech too, to get a challenge other than working on junk like my cars every once in a while.

Everything is relative i guess...

I got rid of my Mitsubishi Ralliart AWD TURBO w/TC-SST (dual clutch trans) because the transmission fluid needed changing every 15-20K miles (OEM says every 60K mies but that is [censored]). The dealer wanted $700-$800. I did it on my own twice at $350 for the fluid (8qts) and $150 for the filter. For Transmission fluid and filter??? Never again.

Prices are why I have always had MG's and Triumphs since back in the 60's. Cheap parts and very easy to work on. Made the mistake of buying an old Mercedes one time to restore. Never again.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Prices are why I have always had MG's and Triumphs since back in the 60's. Cheap parts and very easy to work on. Made the mistake of buying an old Mercedes one time to restore. Never again.

My first car was a 1964 Triumph TR-4 my Mom had since new. I rebuilt the engine with parts from my Massey Ferguson tractor dealer! As long as it was DIY it was reasonable, but it required constant tinkering.

No more Lucas electrics here...

What else is included in the Ferrari dealer bill? Full work up with fancy fluids? A Ferrari loaner that needs to have hundreds of thousands amortized over the users (figure $2-5/mile when acquisition, maintenance and insurance is considered), what else? Parts made of unobtanium for lightness reasons?

Of course the dealer needs to make a profit too!

Yikes. Even if I had the money, I'm not sure I'd want that.

Ferraris are hard to work on and the prices for the parts are well ..expensive. personally I wouldn't take one if some one gave it to me.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
I like to say, "nothing's more expensive than a cheap Mercedes" but in this case you can swap in Ferrari for Mercedes.

lol.gif

From the FerrariDIY.com website...
http://ferraridiy.com/the-truth-about-ferrari-maintenance-costs/

Model

Oil Change

Annual Fluids

Major Service*

Clutch

Brake Pads

512/Testarossa

$195

$995

$7715

Vin Specific

$999-1395

$195

$995

$3200

$3785

$816

308/328

$195

$795

$5395

$1795

$500-600

$195

$995

$6375

$2995-3687**

$1000-1300

$195

$995

$5850

$1695

$900

*Major Service = belts, tensioners, bearings, seals, & gaskets (every 3-5 years

Last edited:
I used to work on some of those Italian cars back in the day. Often a "Fiat" part was an exact match for the high end part, but often 10 X less expensive at retail. Just didn't tell the customer why my price was so much lower than the dealer.

Even a tail light from a specific Lambo was the same part as one on the rear of a Fiat.

The transmission replacement price is about 10% of original retail price of vehicle. Seems to hold true for a while down in vehicles as you go less and less for MSRP.....

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The transmission replacement price is about 10% of original retail price of vehicle. Seems to hold true for a while down in vehicles as you go less and less for MSRP.....

Then you have the whole "rebuild" vs. Remove/replace argument. (with another trans)

I like to think that putting a fully rebuilt part back in is like putting a new part back in, from that point of rebuild forward.. vs unknown with a used.

Wow.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

The more exclusive the brand, the higher the bills.

That's why my next vehicle will be a Subaru, rather than an Audi.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

I hear you. Wife wanted a Porsche. I at least convinced her to downgrade to an Audi.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Kuato

I hear you. Wife wanted a Porsche. I at least convinced her to downgrade to an Audi.
smile.gif

LOL, Audis are awesome. But you can get at least 2 Subarus for the same price, and that's before any repairs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back