O'Reilly carrying Delo 15W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped in my local O'Reilly's store for a couple things. While there I perused the oil aisle. They had Delo 15W-30 there. Funny thing was, it wasn't on the rack with the other oils, there was a stack of the 15W-30 boxes in the middle of the floor between the oil racks and the additives shelf. They set a couple of the bottles on top of the stack of boxes.

They also had the new Havoline Pro DS Synthetic 5W-30 right next to it as well.

Depending on price, I'd like to try this in the Bug and the old van. According to the pds, the 15w30 is significantly thinner on cold crank than the 15w40. ~12cst hot is plenty.

I'd be using 10w30 but it seems to be unobtanium.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Depending on price, I'd like to try this in the Bug and the old van. According to the pds, the 15w30 is significantly thinner on cold crank than the 15w40. ~12cst hot is plenty.

I'd be using 10w30 but it seems to be unobtanium.

Have you looked in the Walmarts in your area? Our local Walmart is carrying the Delo XLE 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: Boczech
What was the cost ?

Sorry, I didn't see a price tag. I could have asked how much it was, but I didn't.

Pulled this from the PCMO forum in another thread.

"Delo 400 SD SAE 15W-30 is a premium and innovative diesel engine oil intended for engines that have duty cycles which qualify as “severe duty.” These include reducing idling time by turning the engine off at stops or deliveries, stop-and-go in heavy traffic or city delivery, or situations where engine cooling may be stressed like when towing heavy loads or when cycling between fully-loaded and unloaded in off-road applications."

Im confused as to why someone would want a 15w for something that is always turned on and off and sees very little idle time. If an engine will always be under stress from towing, wouldnt a 15w40 be a better choice?

A 15w-30 will be much more shear resistant than any other multi-grade HDEO. This lube is targeted at not only OTR trucking but also delivery trucks such as UPS.

And all the heavy truck OEM's are factory filling with 10w30 now. You don't need a 40w to get the job done. Several fleets that I know of first hand have moved all their trucks over to 10w30. And those trucks regularly gross up to 80K lb and do it from Canada to the Rio Grande, year round, all 48 states. The 15w30 that Delo is promoting is indeed targeted primarily to LTL carriers city delivery type of operations. They still promote their 10w30 for long haul because of the fuel economy aspects. The 15w30 is a niche application product.

My O'reilly's didn't have it. They did have a bunch of Q-Horsepower that was incredibly old. The clear plastic bottles had clouded over to the point they were nearly opaque. They didn't clear up no matter how much I wiped them with my shirt.

I passed.

Last edited:
I bought 4 gallons while on sale for 14.99 a gallon. It wont go into my PowerStroke until March though. O'Reilley's had it in stock, but it was in the back, not on the shelves. I like the Delo 10w30, I'll probably like this as well if not better. The 6.0 is hard on oil with the HPOP, and shear is a concern with even 15w, more so with 5w.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Originally Posted By: Boczech
What was the cost ?

Currently on sale at OReilley's for 14.99 a gallon.

Anyone know if it's still $14.99 or what the regular price will be? Seems a little pricey but I'm looking to try it anyway. Not too far from an oil change.

I'm 6,000 miles into a Duron SAE 30 test in a 2011
Duramax. I added 1 liter at 5,000 miles.

This summer I will be able to compare a blend as
close as I can get to Chevron's 15W30 to 15W40
in a 2013 5.3L 1500 GMC.

For my intents and purpose SAE 30 goes to 13.0@100C

12.5-13.0 is the un-used portion of SAE 40,
as 9.3-10.0 is the un-used portion of SAE 30.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
I'm 6,000 miles into a Duron SAE 30 test in a 2011
Duramax. I added 1 liter at 5,000 miles.

This summer I will be able to compare a blend as
close as I can get to Chevron's 15W30 to 15W40
in a 2013 5.3L 1500 GMC.

For my intents and purpose SAE 30 goes to 13.0@100C

12.5-13.0 is the un-used portion of SAE 40,
as 9.3-10.0 is the un-used portion of SAE 30.

Cool! Look forward to anything you can share.

Yea, and I just bought a pail of Mobil 1330 today.
That brings my engine oil stash up to 200 liters.

Those high quality mono-grades ain't exactly cheap,
but I got a free Mobil hat, pen, calender and 2015
product book.

What is Mobil 1640???
Gotta' try that one.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
And all the heavy truck OEM's are factory filling with 10w30 now. You don't need a 40w to get the job done. Several fleets that I know of first hand have moved all their trucks over to 10w30. And those trucks regularly gross up to 80K lb and do it from Canada to the Rio Grande, year round, all 48 states. The 15w30 that Delo is promoting is indeed targeted primarily to LTL carriers city delivery type of operations. They still promote their 10w30 for long haul because of the fuel economy aspects. The 15w30 is a niche application product.

It varies, I know Cummins still factory fills the ISX with 15w40.

As far as other makes there are still some that use 15w40 from factory but I think many are making the switch.

The fleet that I work at have been using 10w30 synblend for a couple years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back