Bando/Dayco/Gates/ACDelco/OEM/Goodyear belts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanting to replace the serpentine belt on the Silverado while I'm off work over the holidays... was met with several possibilities in a 6 rib, 2345mm belt.

The price range (with shipping) starts at $15 for a Bando, to $36 for AC Delco, to $40 for OEM.

Quite honestly, I didn't expect so many choices. Truck is 11 years old, with 85,000 miles... so I'm going to start replacing parts like the belt.

Thanks!

Good idea to replace parts with a lot of age on them. I've always used Gates belts and never had any issues with them. I used to spend the small fortune for Goodyear Gatorback belts but I don't see the need for them anymore.

If available, take a look at the Gates Fleetrunner belt. I have no personal experience with them but supposedly they are Gates' higher-end belts and for some reason the Fleetrunner is actually $4 cheaper than the standard Gates belt for my car on Amazon.

They're all good. Gatorback is really rubbery, the belt equivalent of a racing tire.

I'd carefully check the AC Delco for being "service grade" instead of OE, and not worth $40ish, but certainly worth $15-20.

I just recently put on a dayco belt and it seems to be doing the job. Had a gates on prior for about 70k also without issues. I am going to be going on a long trip and the belt was starting to show signs of wear. Cheap insurance.

Oooh... I can get the ACDelco "Professional" from Amazon (with the 20% discount that they are offering) for $25.40.

If I throw in a can of Turtle Wax Ice wax to the order (which is something that I'll always use), then the shipping is free as well.

There are probably almost no bad choices on that list, unless one of the manufacturers has consolidated part numbers to a point where the belt may be on the edge of being too long/short.

The last few belts I've bought have been Bando and I've been happy with them. The belt for my Sonata was made in Japan and appeared very high quality.

Bando and Gatorback are serving me well. Bando is available cheaply at most Napa stores last time I checked w/o need to mail order and pay shipping.

OK... Amazon made my decision for me.

In the ACDelco "Professional" line, I got the main serpentine belt for $20.32, and got the separate A/C belt for $14.70... and free shipping, as the cost was $35.02.

These prices were after the 20% Amazon / ACDelco discount.

For some unknown reason, the main belt wasn't discounted. I couldn't figure it out. So, I started a chat session. First, I 'spoke' to Sathish... but Sathish was in Kindle support. Then I went to Uday, but Uday had to send me to Flor.

But hey... Flor took care of it, and immediately after placing my order, jumped in and discounted the main belt 20%, and changed the invoice price. Yes, it took several minutes to get to that point, but once I got the person who could make it happen, it was done.

Regardless of what brand you should always check the condition before installing. I've seen a bad Dayco and bad Contitech belt despite them being big brand and supposedly reliable.

If anything I'd buy a brand that make their own stuff instead of just rebrand others (ACDelco) for that particular application.

I replaced my OE serpentine belt on the 2005 Nissan Xterra I recently sold that had started to squeak a little. Had 92K miles on the OE belt. Replaced it with a Gates belt purchased at O'reilly's. Fit was perfect and the squeal went away.

Last edited:
Dayco makes the private label belts for AutoZone, sometime it's the identical belt for less $$$, worth checking out. Also Dayco's website has very good DIY info for your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back