Wheel Bearing Diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Timken bearings are fine. Excellent actually. BTW, I believe it is Timken that uses a coating on their bearings which causes them to feel "rough" when new and no load. Install with confidence, the "roughness" will disappear quickly when put into service.

Last edited:
I am not sure of the cost, but I have used NAPA bearings with much success. They offer a "no questions asked" lifetime replacement warranty. If you are going to keep the car for a long time, it might be worth looking into.

Originally Posted By: Oldswagon

Anyone know how Timken compares to OEM Toyota? They have always been good in American cars I have owned.

Timken or SKF will go longer than 88K so i guess they compare pretty good. I prefer the SKF.
They are as good and sometimes better than OE, GM W bodies for example were built with pi$$ poor hubs.
Originally Posted By: anothertodd
BTW, I believe it is Timken that uses a coating on their bearings which causes them to feel "rough" when new and no load. Install with confidence, the "roughness" will disappear quickly when put into service.

SKF published that info, i believe the same thing applies to Timken. We are seeing a lot more Chinese Timkens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldswagon
Originally Posted By: The Critic
The only other thing you can do, is to check the runout of the hub assembly to see if it is within spec. This may/may not lead you anywhere, but it could be another way to confirm the issue. We replace quite a few hubs/bearing assemblies due to runout alone, fwiw.

I have 99k on my 2011 Prius and my hub assemblies are still quiet, but I have read a few reports of hub replacement over on Priuschat.

Thanks for the tip on the runout. At this point we just have excessive road noise. If this bearing is gone, I am not sure why it failed early (in my opinion). We do have harsh road conditions here though, lots of salt and sand, so perhaps that damaged the seals. This is the first parts failure of any type we've had with this car though.

That is certainly a possibility - I can see that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back