engine oil and filter for new 2015 nissan rogue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda "Honeywell blue" filters fit as well as Subaru. If it had a P- gasket I would use the wix 57356. The nissan china filters I would not use, the new Mexican ones have a Si adbv.

you guys mention post mid 2000s nissans have been bad
but have they fixed it? and why would they go bad if the 90s nissans and 80s nissans were so good? what happened to them? do they have good resale value? still better than ford but not as good as toyota, i presume?

any more rogue updates?
anybody have a nissan cvt that lasted a long time?
unfortunately, i heared nissan cvts made by jatco was [censored]
it's too late to return the car but we can still sell it!

Originally Posted By: engineer20
you guys mention post mid 2000s nissans have been bad
but have they fixed it? and why would they go bad if the 90s nissans and 80s nissans were so good? what happened to them? do they have good resale value? still better than ford but not as good as toyota, i presume?

Sometime in the late 80s/early 90s Nissan decided it wanted to be more of a "budget" option rather than a premium option for many of their models (save Maxima). Nearly killed them.

Fast-forward... Current vehicles are different animals. Don't compare vehicles a decade apart. Those late 90s/00s Altima saved Nissan for the most part and while their end-life stage might not had been as robust as late 90s Yodas (heck nothing is as good as that since it was the golden age for Toyota), they were still in the upper-half for reliability. Heck, if you bought a modern Camry and expected to be like the Camry a decade+ ago, you might be let-down.

Nissan/Jatco CVTs are fine. I don't trust any claim of life-long CVT fluid but they are about as reliable as you would expect for an Automatic. Sure, I think the Jatcos use a composite belt and I like the chain like in my Subaru, but the long-term durability has not played out.

There is nothing wrong with a modern Nissan. It could be worse... you could have bought a Honda (talk about a company that has been cutting corners).

any more rogue updates?

FYI, Jatcos have built some of the best conventional trannys. My 4EAT in my 207K mi Subie is a prime example of the concept of being "bulletproof".

Subaru 5EAT 5-speed autos in their 6-cylinders are very reliable. Nissan uses this same transmission in their Titan pickup truck as well.

i see nissan and subarus use the same oil filter, how different could the two cars be?

so it was a mistake for them to buy the rogue (CR said they have avrerage reliability, whereas other nissans were below) so it seems the rogue is one of the more reliable nissans though nissan as a whoole sucks now

but would the subaru forrester be a lot better?

they use the same oil filter, apparently
why is that?

so the rogue came with 0w 20 synthetic from valvoline as its factory fill but 5w 30 conventioal is also ok though 0w 20 synthetic is what's recommended, that's what i've heard

so the rogue came with 0w 20 synthetic from valvoline as its factory fill but 5w 30 conventioal is also ok though 0w 20 synthetic is what's recommended, that's what i've heard

Don't go by what you heard.
Go by what you read in the owners manual.

i think the owners manual says 0w 20 but 5w30 is fine too, that's why i'm confused
both are ok but why? and which one is better? and any updates on nissan's reliability?
cr= consumer reports gives it avg reliability, whereas the other nissans all have below average/poor reliability like the current altima, sentra, pathfinder, etc

any more rogue updates?

Paranoia will destroy ya...!

Warranty is your friend for now..

Just take care of it , and see what happens... IF you start having too many problems, THEN consider selling it...

Otherwise, you will just lose a ton of money because you believed everything on the internet...

i see, but lots of people are saying any modern nissan is a waste of money and nissan has been getting below average in consumer reports ratings for reliability and it seems like nissan just isn't what they used to be, as i heard they used to be almost as reliabile as toyota and honda but not so much now.

are subarus any better? subarus use the same oil filters as nissans!

My GF has owned a 2010 Altima and a 2012 Murano and today just upgraded to a 2015 Murano. I've owned the 2011 Sentra and traded that in for a 2013 Juke. We both do regular oil changes (5 months/5K miles) and have had nothing wrong with either of our vehicles. All four of those vehicles with 0 miles when we got them. My parents own a 2000 Maxima and it's still running to this day and my dad says its just like his Toyotas he's owned.

Maybe not too much as the brand as it is people caring for their cars? I don't know. I love Nissan and would recommend to friends and family to buy one.

I would think 5w-30 would be fine but I would just go with what it says in the manual or on top of your oil cap. I have a Nissan 2 door 3.5 SE coupe. It had 40k when I bought it in 2012. It was a 2008 very well maintained. My car is fast and fun to drive. Now has 100k miles now and kicks butt. Though changing the plugs cost over $450. And parts are NOT cheap either on anything on her. But a very very good car. I change my oil every 4k mi when I used from full synthetic.. Now running conventional Havoline and will change it every 3k miles. But again I bet your vehicle will be just fine.

0w-20 is only made in synthetic. Choose a brand and use it. Follow the Owner,s Manual Recommended change intervals and sleep well. A go to 0w-20 or 5w-30 brand? Any of the name brands on the shelf.....Easy! or any of the private store brands for that matter.

Well said BrianC.. Perfecto.. Almost every major brand product will do just fine. Some are better than others no doubt. But many good products to choose from and that is a good deal for everyone.

Most 2000+ Nissans tend to use the same filter as they do now. If you want a Motorcraft filter, tell your parts man that you have the last of the Mercury Villager vans. It is not similar to a Motorcraft 400S filter.

I wouldn't use Nissan branded filters even if I had some kind of Nissan. In the oil filter section, current Nissan filters were of a very cheap design. Motorcraft filters are far better, and they aren't expensive.

In my Driveway
95 Nissan Hardbody v6. 194k Daily driven 90 miles.
2013 Nissan Titan. Only 7,100 miles, and so far so good!

In my parents driveway
2001 Supercharged Frontier. Over 260k. Original engine, and transmission work great.

2007 2.5 Altima with the same drive train combo as the Rogue in question. The Rogue has had updates. The Altima has 123k. It has been completely issue free. GREAT car. CVT works perfectly.

I also have a 93 Hardbody with 193k. Not worth much $ so I decided to keep it around, but it stays at my parents house. My dad splits use between it, and his Frontier. All of the vehicles listed have been very good. Nissan is as good as anything out there.

Nissan is no stranger to it's unique issues, but neither are the other manufactures.

I had a 12 Frontier 6 speed that was also great. Only put 22,700 miles on it before letting it go for the Titan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back