wheel bearing 2003 toyota camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my god just put a wheel bearing on it and be done with it. Wheel bearings are just wheel bearings. Whatever you replace it with will outlast the car.

if the shop warranties the work including labor it doesn't really matter as long as its not a no-name Chinese bearing.

is BAC a "no name chinese bearing?"
it seems like it was made in china

i know moog is a quality part, but is it worth the extra 1000 bucks?
also, if wheel bearings last the "lifetime" of the car, then why did mine go bad? what caused them to go bad? going fast on unpaved roads?

For the amount of effort expended thus far you could have changed twice already.

Beats me what does them in. My VW ate a set of OEM bearings in 100k. The replacements are still fine after 200k, and they were OEM spec bearings. Bad installation? Same roads, same habits. If anything I drive faster today.

A vehicle just won't go ten years with no work. Unreasonable to expect to do a repair and then to never do it again. Just go reasonable quality, do the job, and hope for the best.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
i know moog is a quality part, but is it worth the extra 1000 bucks?

There's no automobile bearing worth 1,000 US Dollars, let alone an extra 1,000 US Dollars over the cost of another brand.

also, if wheel bearings last the "lifetime" of the car, then why did mine go bad? what caused them to go bad? going fast on unpaved roads?

I just searched, no one in this thread has used the word "lifetime". Not sure what/who you're quoting here.

I try to source US or Japan made bearings. I would not expect any component that takes the abuse of wheel bearings to last for 200K miles. If I get more than 100K miles out of drive wheel/steering wheel bearings and 150K out of passive wheels, I'm happy.

Just like Rand and Supton said, as long as it's not a mega Chinese brand and as long as it meets OE specs you're good to go. I'm suspecting front wheel bearings are dying in my VW finally, starting to howl a little, just under 164k miles I think isn't a bad life out of them at all.

now, i got 1 new tire and the noise has mostly gone away, except when i turn towards the left, i hear a sound, but again, it could be tire noise, i have kelly explorer tires and i realize these are cheap tires and the one in the front is going bad (i used to have 2 bad fronts, now 1 new front, 1 going bad) and the shaking and noises went away, except when i turn towards the right

i went to belle tire before i got the new tire and they said i needed a wheel bearing, but after i changed my bad tire in the front and the noise went away, belle told me i was fine but i needed to replace my rear struts/strut mounts

but i just changed my struts at 111k and 128k and i have 154k right now.

andways, belle now said my wheel bearings are fine but maybe theyr'e strating to go out, whereas speedy's told me i had a bad passenger side front wheel bearing

Originally Posted By: The Critic

is a place like goodyear/belle tire a good place for them to give me a free diagnostic as they say it's free? thanks.

Gee, it's a free diagnostic. Do you work for free? I sure don't.

If they're giving you a free diagnostic, then there's clearly an incentive to sell some work...or maybe a lot of work. Do you see the moral hazard? I'll let you decide on the correct course of action.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
A free diagnostic to diagnose a problem?

I'm pretty sure if I go walk into a random shop acting like I don't know anything and I ask them "Can you check if my battery is bad?" Or "Can you check my brakes/tires?" that they're gonna come back saying yes they're bad and they need replacement.

There are honest shops. I don't know how many times people came into Les Schwab Tires, and I found a rock stuck between the caliper and rotor. Pulled the caliper and removed the rock, no charge. When you treat people right, they come back to spend money on stuff they really need.

Its too bad some here are so cynical and paranoid.

Last edited:
Wow you have a 300k maxima? That was from the 90s. I heard Nissan or recent nissans are [censored] and many have bad wheel bearings. Is that true!?

Wow you have a 300k maxima? That was from the 90s. I heard Nissan or recent nissans are [censored] and many have bad wheel bearings. Is that true!?

308k now, and Nissans aren't what the were in the 90's. Nissan doesn't have to give cars away and have nothing to prove anymore. As such, quality has fallen and prices have risen.

My passenger side front bearing went out at just under 300K. Put a $25 Chinese eBay bearing in and couldn't be happier.

My Uplander at 75k has both OE bearings hosed already, so there goes the idea that OE or "quality" bearings are inherently better. EBay 2/$70 bearings will be going in.

Last edited:
Brand doesn't matter much with wheel bearings. I'm at 170k on my originals and they're great. No noise

Brand doesn't matter much with wheel bearings. I'm at 170k on my originals and they're great. No noise

Should be the same bearing as mine, and mine were shot at 103k. Tough roads up here I guess. The replacements are still going after 200k though.

Originally Posted By: supton

Should be the same bearing as mine, and mine were shot at 103k. Tough roads up here I guess. The replacements are still going after 200k though.
Yup they're the same part numbers. Our roads aren't too bad, but when I get on a bumpy road I hear something a little loose up front, don't know what it is. It's got newish control arm bushings and upper strut mounts, the rest is original and looks brand new with no play. Maybe something is loose under the hood, I don't know. I'll wait til it falls off lol!

Sway bar links are common noise makers.

Might need LCA bushings, the rear ones, that is common on these cars too. But not a noise maker.

i don't hear the noise in the city, but the city roads are HORRIBLE and are filled with potholes and cracks, but on the highway, when i turn towards the left, there's the noise
so is this the left or right wheel bearing? i was told it's the opposite one, so the passgener or right wheel bearing is bad

i don't hear the noise in the city, but the city roads are HORRIBLE and are filled with potholes and cracks, but on the highway, when i turn towards the left, there's the noise
so is this the left or right wheel bearing? i was told it's the opposite one, so the passgener or right wheel bearing is bad

If you think about it when turning left you unload the left side, and add load to the right making it louder. So, yes that would be the right side. But, the other one might not be far from going anyway.

i'm not sure if i have a wheel bearing problem anymore but after getting one last week, the noise went away for the most part, which i had before when i had the worn tire
but now, when i go on the highway and i turn the wheel slightly to the left, i still hear a roaring noise but when going straight, i dno't hear it anymore. does that mean my wheel bearing is still bad or no?
see this thread
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3867961

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back