Air Conditioned Seats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about this particular car, but generally it's just done with small fans that blow through perforated areas in the seat covering. Not actual air conditioning, just fans.

My 2014 Explorer has those and they are A/C (not simply fans). With a black car and black seats in the August heat in Houston, they cool really fast
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
They have a ted (thermal electrical device) that heat and cools the air, even has an air filter.

This seems to be how my Cadillac is equipped. Those seats remind me of the Russian novelist, Frostyaballzoff...they get really cold. I read on the interweb about an electrical device called a Peltier Circuit. When current is applied, it moves heat from one side to the other. I assume if current is reversed, the heat would move the other way. I guess this is how at least some heated/cooled seats work.

Peltier units are commonly used to cool computer processors and some mini fridges. I have a small Black & Decker fridge that stopped cooling. When I started to fix it, I noticed it didn't have a compressor or condenser coils.
confused2.gif
After some research I learned about Peltier units. I bought some new Peltier units and some thermal paste and I had it working good as new for about $25.

Some just are ventilated and have a little fan that blows cabin air up through the perforations in the seat, others also have duct work from the A/C system piped under the seat.

I am not a fan of leather, but with cooled seats I can be swayed!

The seats in my F150 have some form of heating coils and peltier device for thermoelectric cooling. Interestingly, it blows hot air out from under the seat when you select "cool".

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The seats in my F150 have some form of heating coils and peltier device for thermoelectric cooling. Interestingly, it blows hot air out from under the seat when you select "cool".

It has to move heat from one place to another. Not only that but it is not 100% efficient in doing so.

My 2014 Impala has just a fan. Even with black leather seats, they work great. Eventually you have to turn the fans down. With remote start you can have them come on (as temperature requires).

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
So if I understand everyone correctly, if I get air conditioned seats, I will be able to smell my farts quicker, right?

Are we 2 years old?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
So if I understand everyone correctly, if I get air conditioned seats, I will be able to smell my farts quicker, right?

good question

Back in 07 we rented a loaded Caddy STS. It had the cooled seats and interestingly, if you tooted it would actually "pull" the air away from your butt, and you wouldn't smell a thing! neither would any of you passengers...truly the sign of a fine automobile.

On the other side of the coin, in 2011 we rented a 300C (also loaded) and it also had the cooled seats. Embarrassingly, it didn't "pull" the air away from your bottom, rather blew it all around the cabin so everyone could get a nose full of my colon gasses. Worst.Design.Ever

Clearly, this is a feature that should be closely examined BEFORE purchasing a luxury auto. I know it's something I'd inspect

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Peltier units are commonly used to cool computer processors and some mini fridges. I have a small Black & Decker fridge that stopped cooling. When I started to fix it, I noticed it didn't have a compressor or condenser coils.
confused2.gif
After some research I learned about Peltier units. I bought some new Peltier units and some thermal paste and I had it working good as new for about $25.

I'm curious, did that fridge make ice, or just cooled your stuff?

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
My 2014 Impala has just a fan. Even with black leather seats, they work great. Eventually you have to turn the fans down. With remote start you can have them come on (as temperature requires).

Same in our new Ram. Very simple and work extremely well.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
Originally Posted By: exranger06
confused2.gif

I'm curious, did that fridge make ice, or just cooled your stuff?

They won't make ice, they just get cooler or hotter than the surroundings. Nothing huge in most units I've seen.

As others have said, they are Peltier units. Have them in both my vehicles and they do work really well. Only downside is the filter for them. $20 ea!

I really like Peltier units in general. We've had a Peltier based cooler for years and it's quite handy. The one we have now is a small unit designed for behind the seat. Plug it in and it gets things up to 40 Degrees cooler than ambient. It won't make ice but will keep sodas comfortably cold on road trips. Combined with a 12v jump pack we even run it when not in the car. At night, take it into the hotel and plug it in (we have the AC adapter) and it will cool things really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back