driving impressions RE: Nissan Versa note

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a loaner from a local autobody shop (loaned from Enterprise Rental), a 2013 model year Nissan Versa note with CVT.

It has 19k on the odo, and reeks of smoke (previous drivers smoked inside the vehicle, apparently). It's auto with CVT, as plain jane as it can be, the console has backup camera built in, XM satellite radio (suspect that it needs subscription, but I don't care much for I only care about local over-the-air AM broadcast for traffics mainly).

Fit and finish: Door slam indicates that it's fairly well built: tight, no filmsy/hollow sound. Extra EPDM rubber weatherstripping and seals makes it a joy to slam the door, and it can rival higher end/higher priced Japanese compact cars as far as the slam feel's concerned.

engine: I think it's the base model (SV version?), definitely made in mexico, as verified from underneath the hood.

Ride (in the city): suspension is quite taut and fairly responsive, feels almost like a larger japanese car...close to that of Honda civic and yet better than that of those typical Hyundai lower-end automobiles about 4 yrs ago.

steering: electrically-assisted, decent steering feel, with no dead-spots in the middle like those the most recent corollas, or the dreaded elantra I rented several years back. Still not as precise/sharp as my Honda fit though.

on the road manners: engine noise is quite loud, significantly louder than that of my fit. idle shake is quite obvious, regardless of hot/cold engine.

Transmission: much better than that I've experienced with the original 1.8Versa CVT, less rubber-band pulling feel, but has some rather annoying lurching forward feel at times during acceleration, while other times it would be coasting around 1100rpm in da city. Rapid decelaration sometimes would lead to a mild rpm hunt, especially when it comes close to a complete stop (where the idle would suddenly dropped down to below 750rpm before it creeps back up to 750rpm and stay there).

It also has some rather annoying clicking sound occasionally when accelerating from a complete standstill.

braking is competent , but haven't try hard braking during highway speeds.

fit-n-finish: typically mexican quality: somehow, tighter fit 8 out of 10 than that of some korean cars. Quite plasticky on the dash and the rest of the compartment including door panels, feel cheep.

Q.

I had one earlier in the week for a service loaner and it was meh. About the same ideas that you described. Decent car for someone that just needs a car, but a letdown compared to a Mustang GT Track Pack.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I had one earlier in the week for a service loaner and it was meh. About the same ideas that you described. Decent car for someone that just needs a car, but a letdown compared to a Mustang GT Track Pack.

You're comparing diamond with rock
55.gif

That's quite a freaking revelation

Is that the same Mustang that just had the transmission problems? Were you driving the Nissan because your Mustang was laid up in the shop again?

They are nice little cars. The Versa has always been bigger on the inside than the outside. I love that it's spacious on the inside, but simple ... Manual windows, locks, basic radio (I'd want the base model with 5 speed).

Only thing I don't care for is the fact that there's no place for a full sized spare and the donut rides underneath. And the Nissan 4 cylinder has to have the intake manifold come off to change spark plugs.

I had a Versa Note for 3 months and the dealer wouldn't address a lougd engine knock so I traded it up for a rogue select which has a noisey trans pump and a burning trans oil smell when revving over 3 grand when accelerating. No drips. Curious what wrong with this now ;(

Versa Base S w/ MT ( 12900 out the door): When new, the engine was torquey and smooth compared to the fit. A cuple weeks of the poor fuel up here did that in quickly
frown.gif

Very Harsh ride, smallish distorted windshield, poor defrost capability, nice power brake boost, fairly unobtrusive VSC, and nice door sealing, relatively quiet. The lack of power door locks, thoug,h is inexcusable on a 5 door - even on a base trimmed car.

I must still concede the previous gen Kia Forte Sedan as the standard by all sub/compact cars should be judged. Nearly as faultless an execution as I've experienced.

I drove a Versa as a rental in 2007, while waiting for my Park Avenue to be ready, a Nissan Altima early this year before picking up the Regal, and an Altima coupe while the Regal was being repainted. None of them impressed me as one I'd want to run out and get. Maybe it's that St. Joseph's aspirin-orange instrument lighting, or that black foamy upholstery.

DUH !!!!I would hope so.

Nissan's of late are absolutely horrible in terms of quality/power/dependability. We first bought a Versa sedan in Late 2012 only to have the entire engine replaced at 7500 miles due to a constant knock that finally ended up being cylinder #2 according to the tech. Fast forward to 21000 miles and the same noise comes back so like a dummy I went back to my dealer and let them rape me for trade in on a new 2013 Sentra S with the 6 speed, it is a much nicer car but now with 21000 on the clock it has tons of squeaks and rattles and suspension noise that is just terrible on secondary roads. Engine is a lackluster 1.8l turd and fuel mileage is a not so great ~32mpg average.

I'll NEVER buy another new Nissan, not in this lifetime and will likely trade this Sentra in on something different here before too long.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Nissan's of late are absolutely horrible in terms of quality/power/dependability. We first bought a Versa sedan in Late 2012 only to have the entire engine replaced at 7500 miles due to a constant knock that finally ended up being cylinder #2 according to the tech. Fast forward to 21000 miles and the same noise comes back so like a dummy I went back to my dealer and let them rape me for trade in on a new 2013 Sentra S with the 6 speed, it is a much nicer car but now with 21000 on the clock it has tons of squeaks and rattles and suspension noise that is just terrible on secondary roads. Engine is a lackluster 1.8l turd and fuel mileage is a not so great ~32mpg average.

I'll NEVER buy another new Nissan, not in this lifetime and will likely trade this Sentra in on something different here before too long.

A coworker of mine has a Sentra with CVT.

My god that thing is awkward. If you are trying to accelerate at anything less than wide open, it lugs the engine at 1100RPM ... causing the entire car to vibrate. Then once you get to about 45 the RPMs are all over the place.

2nd day with that loaner car, and the only 2 things I enjoyed about this versa note is (a) the interior cabin noise while driving in the city is quite good, better than my fit; (b) the suspension is taut.

I'm indifferent with the engine and that rubber-band pulling trannie.

Q.

Nissan really used to build a very nice line of vehicles. It's really a shame where Nissan is today in terms of build quality and reliability.

Mine is OK but, I'm not sure why! It's history of repairs shows more problems than what I have experienced. And I really like driving mine. But, I do see where Nissan has cut corners/cost.

Seems no different on Nissan/Infinity I have driven. Always 2nd rate compared to the Honda/Toyota mass consumer stuff.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Seems no different on Nissan/Infinity I have driven. Always 2nd rate compared to the Honda/Toyota mass consumer stuff.

There is a perception that Japanese quality is superior. I'm sure it is for Honda and Toyota. Nissan is cashing in on that by producing sub-par vehicles and leasing them for $100 a month.

I grew up during the 80s to admire the Z-series, and such. Since the early 90s when Nissan released a slew of sub-par automobiles (and I had to service them, sheeish!) into the market, and the terrible quality RE: Nissan Sentra classic (built in mexico, basically an 80s platform of Nissan Sentra/Sunny in asian countries), I knew at that moment that Nissan is doomed.

While they were saved by Renault with cash injections, technical know-how and such (which ended up making a mixed bags of rather quirky nissans that bears telltale signs of renault at-play (interior designs, technical, dashboard, front bumper grille, etc.), I know that they now make automobiles that lean heavily towards becoming a blend of both (2 companies), or some sort of compromise between the 2.

The quirkiness of CVTs on their recent releases, the engine quality, QC problems, most NA automobiles built in Mexico, etc. the horrid looking Nissan micra, etc. all points towards Renault in majority control over their fate.

Those who don't know what it means as a world automobile are still living in a bubble. Afterall: look at MB- a world automobile made not only in Deutscheland, but all over the world, including Alabama, Mexico, India, Vietnam, Egypt, Bosnia, etc.

So, be careful (at least mindful) about what you are buying, and don't simply be naive to follow the brand (brand name)....

For me, I only follow what's mechanically within. I don't care if they are made in India or Vietnam if they are constructed with care and quality that satisfy my requirements. Brands/badges mean nothing to me these days, for some of them don't worth the kind of money they try to fetch out there these days...

Q.

There is that perception because it used to be very true. I think the playing field is very level for the domestic branded, and Japanese cars these days. Just about any car will have minimal problems if a member here owns it.

Saying it's true for Honda, and Toyota, and not Nissan is just silly. Honda, and Toyota have had more than their fair share of problems.

I've had my fair share of Nissan's with 2 still in the driveway, and they have had no major problems.

My dad's 01 Supercharged Frontier has 260k on it. New exhaust manifolds, and a knock sensor at 70k under warranty. That's it.

My mom has a 07 Altima with 119k. Had to replace the blower motor relay recently. That's it. Fit, and finish is great in her Altima. Materials are definitely high quality for the price point.
There is a reason they sell over 300,000 Altimas a year. Considering how many are out there, CVT failures are low.

My 12 Frontier has been excellent. Still young with 21k, but so far so good. Feels great on the rd. Plenty of power that goes well with the 6 speed manual.

I daily drive a 95 Hardbody V6 with 190k. I put 88 miles a day on it for my work commute. Will probably drive it at least another 100k.

Nissan is not any better than the other manufactures, but they certainly aren't the underdog like some of you believe.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: rjundi

There is a perception that Japanese quality is superior. I'm sure it is for Honda and Toyota. Nissan is cashing in on that by producing sub-par vehicles and leasing them for $100 a month.

There is that perception because it used to be very true. I think the playing field is very level for the domestic branded, and Japanese cars these days. Just about any car will have minimal problems if a member here owns it.

Saying it's true for Honda, and Toyota, and not Nissan is just silly. Honda, and Toyota have had more than their fair share of problems.

I've had my fair share of Nissan's with 2 still in the driveway, and they have had no major problems.

My dad's 01 Supercharged Frontier has 260k on it. New exhaust manifolds, and a knock sensor at 70k under warranty. That's it.

My mom has a 07 Altima with 119k. Had to replace the blower motor relay recently. That's it. Fit, and finish is great in her Altima. Materials are definitely high quality for the price point.
There is a reason they sell over 300,000 Altimas a year. Considering how many are out there, CVT failures are low.

My 12 Frontier has been excellent. Still young with 21k, but so far so good. Feels great on the rd. Plenty of power that goes well with the 6 speed manual.

I daily drive a 95 Hardbody V6 with 190k. I put 88 miles a day on it for my work commute. Will probably drive it at least another 100k.

Nissan is not any better than the other manufactures, but they certainly aren't the underdog like some of you believe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back