why so many multi speed automatics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2014 Accord Hybrid engine drives a generator which powers the electric motor. Around 43 mph, if there is not much load, the gasoline engine directly couples to the drivetrain through a clutch. That is all there is. If load is low, and there is an adequate charge, it will drop back to battery even at high speeds. The few occasions where I needed to pass, I believe the engine and the battery drive the electic motor. I was surprised the first time, at how quick the car is.

My previous car was a 2011 Hyundai, with a 6 speed auto. There were times that it would throw a clunky downshift, usually when coming to a stop. When passing, it would un-necessarily drop several gears. I usually reverted to the "manual" shift mode to avoid the noise.

I've wondered the same thing.

My dad's Malibu has a 6 speed and it feels weird when I ride in it with him considering I'm used to 4 speeds autos. The car feels slower than I thought it would, but he's used to it now and doesn't say much. When he borrowed our Impala for a few days while his was getting serviced, he commented that he liked the shift points better in ours. I guess it seems faster because the engine revs more with only the 4 speeds. Driving the two back to back, I'll take the Impala 4 speed anytime.

Wait it's my car, what choice do I have? ha ha

If the new Cherokee has 9 speeds and still gets average mpg with a weaker 4 cylinder engine, what's the point of any more gears? After 6 speeds, just go CVT and be done with it already.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

How often do you change gear oil in the transmission?

OEM recommends at 500,000 miles using synthetic 50w, which is the factory fill. I do it at 300,000 miles just because it more closely fits my comfort level. I did the trans and both rear diffs at the same time, or rather, I had my favorite shop do it while the truck was in for oil change and it was $364 to do trans and diffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back