Seeking Browning BLR-81 Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a BLR-81 and wanted to know a few things.

1. Are they hard to clean? I have read that you can't disassemble them like a Marlin.
2. Are there any issues after a few hundred rounds?
3. Is it really THAT hard to find a gunsmith to do any necessary work?
4. Are extra mags available at a "reasonable"(>$75) price?
5. Are larger capacity mags available? I know, it's a hunting arm, but well; they make a 10 rounder for the pump Remington rifles. Just sayin'.
6. It's used, so what should I specifically look for?
Thanks!

I had the long action in 270 win for many years, sold it 2 years ago and now regret it...

Strongest most accurate lever gun made ! Don't know of any 10rd mags, it's a hunting gun so 10rd wouldn't seem to be popular after market ???

Don't take it apart and you should never need a gunsmith. As for rounds fired issue ? The same issue bolt guns suffer after thousands of rounds, worn out barrel. The BLR is rock solid and dependable.

They are easy to clean.

Here's a good read on the BLR's http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2010/10/browning-lever-action-rifle-blr-by.html

Last edited:
My best friend when I was young had one in .308, used it for many problem free years and he still has it as far as I know some 30 years later.

I had one for a few years in 30/06 which I stupidly sold because I thought it was too heavy. Like Fastgame I really regret getting rid of it. I used HOT handloads in it without issue too.

I don't have good answers to your specific questions other than they are a quality, reliable, excellent shooting rifle. I don't remember ever seeing any extended mags for it either.

Thanks for the replies. The gun I'm looking at is older, no folding hammer. Other than that, it looks like it was bought, shot one box of ammo (maybe), and put away. Probably going home with me after Christmas.

The older the better
smile.gif
What caliber is it ?

358 Win., a total hand-loading proposition! From what I've read, it's a most efficient hunting round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back