MB CLA-250

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things I hate about this segment is that it is seen as the consolation prize for those who can't afford a "real" Mercedes/BMW/Audi. That's hugely unfair. I'd take a 1-Series or a 2-Series over almost any other car made by the premium brands right now. They are fantastic cars. Yet, almost everyone I know wouldn't even give them a second look if they could afford a 3-Series/5-Series/E-Class/etc.

I think Mercedes knows that most discerning and moneyed customers would stay away from the CLA regardless of how good it was, just because they don't want the image of the "baby" Mercedes. I suspect that's one reason why the CLA is FWD and has one-step-down interior quality.

Of course, I'd still take a CLA over any other automatic FWD car on the market. Not sure how meaningful that is because there are a LOT of things I'd rather have than an automatic FWD car, but there it is anyway...

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Likely has superior residual value compared to the other overpriced(IMHO) MB's.....

No, the new ones all drop like rocks. AMG's take the depreciation prize though!

The only modern Mercedes that does hold its value is the G wagon, simply because Mercedes restricts imports to 500 units a year.

Now if you want to talk vintage their are some great buys on the used market, IMHO the R107 and R129 SL's are fantastic buys right now. I think they have a lot of potential to move up in value 10-30 years from now.

If I ever got to a point, and a place to live, where having a convertible just for fun was a viable choice, an R129 SL would be my pick.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: aa1986
Mainstream young buyers do not think like many here do. History means little, but brand names do.

Agreed. For someone who just wants that 3-pointed star logo and full warranty, the CLA is the cheapest way to obtain it.

Affluent folks can buy a real Benz, not some poser wannabe CLA-250 pretending to have money.

Mercedes has always been a 'premium' brand....... why would they want some idiots pretending to have money drag down their brand ????

Whats next, a $19,999 Benz to compete with Mazda3, Civic, Cruze, Focus and Corolla ?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Affluent folks can buy a real Benz, not some poser wannabe CLA-250 pretending to have money.

The number of affluent folks isn't large enough anymore because there are so many "premium" brands out there nowadays competing for their money. So, if Daimler wants to grow their sales, they have to go after other markets/folks, and that's what's happening. Other manufacturers have dedicated low end and high end brands, but Daimler does not, and developing a new brand from scratch takes time and money, so they're just trying to see how far they can stretch their current brand before things start to come apart.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Whats next, a $19,999 Benz to compete with Mazda3, Civic, Cruze, Focus and Corolla ?
confused2.gif

A fully optioned Civic costs in the high 20s. So, this CLA is already meant to compete with it. Since the CLA has a starting price of $29,999, the argument is that for just a little bit more you can be different and drive a Mercedes. Granted, that's just a starting price, and by the time you add a few options, it'll be a lot more, but the idea is to get you into the dealership and not let you leave until you buy something... the lease is then thrown as an option to show you how your low monthly payment could make it 'affordable'.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Other manufacturers have dedicated low end and high end brands, but Daimler does not, and developing a new brand from scratch takes time and money, so they're just trying to see how far they can stretch their current brand before things start to come apart.

Be grateful that so far they have only done their stretching elsewhere:

mercedes_benz__a_class_a210_evolution_long_2003_1_lgw.jpg

Mercedes-Citan-Renault-Kangoo-474x316-df982d6195b2754b.jpg

Yep it's a Renault with a Mercedes badge.

Typically overseas other than the A and B class they just de-content a lot of their models.

You could get a pretty basic C class for example with steel wheels, minimal electronics, smaller 4 bangers and maybe a stick. But Americans wouldn't pay $30k for a C class with MBtex and no options.

In the UK you can get a C200 manual for $27k pounds. The E class is typically a police and taxi cab as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
But Americans wouldn't pay $30k for a C class with MBtex and no options.

Speak for yourself. I'd write a check tomorrow for a de contented C or E in that price range without the electronics and auto transmission liabilities.

CLA parked next to me in a parking lot while I was still in my car. From that vantage point, I thought it was a Honda Accord.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Speak for yourself. I'd write a check tomorrow for a de contented C or E in that price range without the electronics and auto transmission liabilities.

Agree. I rather have no electronics gadgets and many unneeded features for $10-15k less.

Even the lowest price 2014 Honda Accord LX has too many electronics gadgets and many unneeded features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back