Subaru Certified High Performance Gear Oil 75W90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered some Subaru Extra S, I'm used to the oil being put into another container but this time it came in a Subaru container. Seems like this is new packaging for Extra S but no one is exactly sure.

3ohtPra.jpg

si0Sk61.jpg

This is not the same formula as Extra S, which is only available in 5-gallon buckets. Someone at one of the Subaru forums did a VOA for comparison. I'll try to track it down.

I have it in both the transmissions and diff in my Forester. It's working well; better than the Valvoline and Amsoil varieties that I've tried.

Well I will top off with a bit of Extra S but 3 quarts of this stuff going in.. Guess Ill see how it goes..

Thanks for that link!

Sure thing. Report back with shift quality.

My 4-5 shift is still a little rough, but it's better now than the other varieties I've tried.

My wife's Forester loves the Redline 75w90 I filled her with as soon I brought her home about a year ago.

I recently replaced the transmission and rear differential fluids on my wife's 9-2x Aero with this new Subaru fluid. While I didn't note the magical, leprechaun-assisted feel that many have reported with Extra-S, it does seem to work well and the convenience of quart bottles available from nearly any dealer is a definite plus.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Have a VOA done on this oil and we'll see how it compares with the original Extra S.

LOL...Check out Bandito440's link above. You are mentioned in the second to last post by BITOG member Bluesubie.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Have a VOA done on this oil and we'll see how it compares with the original Extra S.

LOL...Check out Bandito440's link above. You are mentioned in the second to last post by BITOG member Bluesubie.

Thanks, I have seen that before.

What I am referring to is, take a sample of the new lube he just purchased right from the bottle.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Thanks, I have seen that before.

What I am referring to is, take a sample of the new lube he just purchased right from the bottle.

Isnt that what http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2678891 (posted above) is?

So I put the new fluid in and it took just about 3 qaurts to full.. only needed 4oz of top off.. Anyhow My old fluid went through a track day and wasn't feeling good. So yes I can tell you there is an improvement in shifting feel(smoother/easier) but I cannot tell if its better than extra S or not just better than before the change.

Last edited:
The point I am making is, Formulas can change without notice, sooo it would be nice to know that what you currently (really) have whether it's the Extra-S formula or the newer gear lube formula.

i use Amsoil premium synthetic oils but its Redline for drivetrain lubes. you prolly paid Redline prices but got a lesser product. on Redlines site you can use their lube finder, or talk to a real person-tech via a phone call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back