Chromecast better on phone than on laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aa1986
And on the laptop there is?

It does. It shows me these options when I click on the Cast icon in Chrome:

- Extreme (720p high bitrate)
- High (720p)
- Standard (480p)

However, as rjundi mentioned, when it comes to Plex specifically, I think these settings are irrelevant because you are not actually casting a copy of the web browser.

Yes you are right about Netflix using DD+. I remember now.

My TV can actually take a DD+ or DTS soundtrack via HDMI from my Blu Ray player and output it in Dolby 5.1 to my receiver via coax.

Netflix through my Blu Ray player worked fine. But on the Chromecast it didn't. Perhaps it is fixed now. I will go and check.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And on the laptop there is?

It does. It shows me these options when I click on the Cast icon in Chrome:

- Extreme (720p high bitrate)
- High (720p)
- Standard (480p)

However, as rjundi mentioned, when it comes to Plex specifically, I think these settings are irrelevant because you are not actually casting a copy of the web browser.

Yep got that. Can your TV tell you what resolution the incoming signal is? Just to check it isn't different depending on whether it is triggered from the phone or the laptop.

Can your TV tell you what resolution the incoming signal is? Just to check it isn't different depending on whether it is triggered from the phone or the laptop.

TV shows 1080p in both cases.

Actually, the video quality isn't necessarily worse when triggered from the laptop, but it occasionally stutters.

FYI, this is what my receiver is reporting when streaming Netflix through Chromecast...

DSC_6836.jpg

Thanks. I presume your Chromecast is plugged into your AV receiver?

I went to check again. I can get DD 5.1 from Netflix on my Blu Ray to my receiver via my TV. But I still can't get DD 5.1 from Netflix or HBO on Chromecast to the receiver via my TV.

Next thing for me to test is if the Netflix Windows 8 app can get DD 5.1 to my receiver from the TV with a laptop as a source.

Thanks. I presume your Chromecast is plugged into your AV receiver?

Yes.

Quote:
Looks like the cheapest solution for me is to buy an hdmi input to hdmi + spdif output extractor box.

How much does that cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back