Ford Mustang 5.0L Stage 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! A coworker of mine has the above vehicle with the turbo, the whole nine yards. His specifically is the "Rousche" stage 3. So, he took me for a ride but he doesn't even wait 2 seconds until he slams it in drive and takes off. He routinely WOT the engine cold, and warm. But my concern is what damage is this doing to the engine, turbo, etc?

A Roush Stage 3 has a supercharger, not a turbocharger. He should be letting the engine warm up before putting it in gear, especially with a tune as bland as what Roush puts on their cars. When you start the new 5.0's. they hold a high idle around 1100rpm for about 30 seconds to help warm the engine faster.

Without sounding sarcastic...who cares? It's his car, he can treat it badly if he wants! Realistically, by the time any serious engine damage has been done, he'll have gotten bored and traded it on something else. You've gotta try pretty hard to hurt 'em too much these days.

Also sleep well knowing that being a Roush car, it is worth less than if he had just put all the parts on it himself. The Roush and Saleen cars come up as regular Mustangs in the cataloging, and tend to be worth a lot less than people think they should be worth. If someone is looking at a higher performance Mustang, I almost always recommend the SVT products since they are built that way from the factory and all the options show in the cataloging and Build of Materials.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Without sounding sarcastic...who cares?

....Maybe he's just curious?

I wouldn't expect any premature wear on the turbo, but any friction surfaces in the engine will be vulnerable to hot spotting and scuffing. I'd be surprised if this engine doesn't start burning oil after 50k miles or so.

Probably little to none. Within seconds there is oil flowing everywhere and while it's probably not the best to flog it cold it most likely won't hurt much.

My first car was driven like that by me (and had a cold idle of around 2k; got to love carbs) and it was running perfectly fine at 175k. The body gave out. If a 1970's 4-cylendar can put up with that "abuse" so can a modern car.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Also sleep well knowing that being a Roush car, it is worth less than if he had just put all the parts on it himself. The Roush and Saleen cars come up as regular Mustangs in the cataloging, and tend to be worth a lot less than people think they should be worth. If someone is looking at a higher performance Mustang, I almost always recommend the SVT products since they are built that way from the factory and all the options show in the cataloging and Build of Materials.

I have looked at a couple of these in my area and came away VERY disappointed. Car and Driver tested one that was not a tick faster than a good running stocker!

When my older sedan can run with you easily on the open road you paid way too much!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-roush-stage-3-ford-mustang-test-review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back