EDGE EP and M1 EP. Ok to mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I appreciate you're not into blending but it is standard practice in some circles with the formulators encouragement.

Redline I know encourages blending their own products to produce different grades. But that is the only situation I know of where a blender has actually encouraged it (rather than just saying it isn't going to hurt anything). And that is with their own products, not products from other blenders, which is the theme of this discussion (Edge and Mobil 1).

This thread isn't about blending different grades so let's stay on topic.

No, it isn't, but it certainly isn't taking off on any sort of detour or tangent to mention it either. It ties into the historical discussion of the subject, something that has already been brought into the mix here, so it is far from irrelevant despite being not exactly on topic.

Every race oil formulator encourages blending, it's the only way to optimize the operational viscosity.
And yes the subject is off topic. This thread is about the compatibility of Castrol Edge 5W-30 and M1 5W-30.

Every race oil formulator encourages blending, it's the only way to optimize the operational viscosity.

Of their own products. Which would all have similar additive packages, like my Redline example. So if we are going OT you've done a great job keeping in that vein by mentioning this....

And yes the subject is off topic. This thread is about the compatibility of Castrol Edge 5W-30 and M1 5W-30.

So what exactly does race oil formulation miscibility of their own products with each other have to do with that? If we are griping about going OT of course
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: wemay
From Mobil1's FAQ section:

Is it okay to mix conventional motor oil with Mobil 1™ motor oil?

Yes. Mobil 1 is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils, should it be necessary to mix them. But the superior performance of Mobil 1 will be reduced by diluting it.

Of which the BOLD sounds like pure marketing, of course.

Sounds like common sense to me.

Absolutely. When an oil has an additive pack that can go 15k, any other oil.has the potential to reduce the capacity of the oil by diluting the additives. Amsoil has the same type suggestion.

Chemically, 5w + a different 5w = 5w? We can't know since formulations are proprietary and no one has tested it. Perhaps sending a mixed sample and two pure samples to an oil analyzer company to test the CST at low temps would help answer that question.

Even though both are EP, that wasnt my plan. I had mentioned 7500 when the consideration was still up in the air.

Ended up giving the 2 quarts of M1 5w20 to my aunt as top-up oil for her Honda Odyssey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back