Mixing PP+M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
More involved answer than I had ready.

I thought that shannow was telling us that blending oil was like a box of chocolates.

"You never know what your gonna get."

I'd rather be a comedian than an Olympic Gold Medalist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of rakes, my daughter's fiend bought a new house worth a
fortune, and asked on facebook steel or plastic?

Some of her friends made a good pitch for plastic, but the guys all
went for steel.

Then it had to be British Racing Green.

The reason for steel?

In a red-hot rake fight plastic would be a disadvantage.

If you have a team of horses that won't pull, instead of wearing your
self out yelling and cracking a whip.

A bonny wee touch up the kilt with a red hot works every time.
After that, all you have to do is show them the rake, and after that
all you have to do is bring the rake along.

As it stands for the now, there is a south bound horse looking for a cool
stream to sit his blisters in.

But if that horse turns out the eventual winner, he gets a free kick
up the rake-holder's kilt.

The question remains; can you blend 2 or more SN/GF5 lubricants and retain their
original certifications?
That is the question is it not?

In the interest of self preservation, the stakes are too high for me to pick one side
or the other.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
The question remains; can you blend 2 or more SN/GF5 lubricants and retain their
original certifications?

There's no guarantee that if you mix two different oils that they will be anything other than "miscible" with the 6 ASTM reference oils...that's not a guarantee of miscible with every single oil on the shelf, but it's as good as you can get in set theory, other than having to mix every single oil out there...and still, it's a miscibility test only.

Mixing two blended oils, you are out there on your own...SN will probably stay SN (unless you say throw enough M10W40 into TGMO to throw it out of the SN P limit for a 30)...zinc, and moly and boron are almost certainly fine if either oil was compliant in the first place...

Mix a zinc free and a zinc bearing oil, and you are left relying on half of additive a doing it's job, equally as well and in addition to half of additive b...do the two halves add up to a whole ? Plain hairy arsed guessing would have to say no.

e.g. Castrol imply that their UMA molecule (Magnatec in Oz) is part of their secrete for outstanding sequence IV wear testing...does it work half as well at half the concentration, and does the other oil in the mix make up for it with its strategy for sequence IV ?

Don't know, ever, when mixing the two.

The ASTM and SAE papers that I've linked to in this and others indicate that the "W" rating, the cold temperature performance is the one that's most likely to get messed up, simply by mixing different VIIs and PPDs...and possibly as per the taxi fleet, messed up badly. Won't show anything on KV40/KV100...40C is 60C or thereabouts hotter than where it's an issue.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Originally Posted By: Shannow

It does NOT guarantee that the blends maintain their W rating. It Does not guarantee that any other test that either oil meets on it's own, wear, scuffing, you name it...regardless of how many times that you, CATERHAM, say that it does.

Take about a Strawman argument, I have never made those claims regarding D6922.

Sorry, my bad...

Firstly, as per ASTM D6922, their PPs cannot be adversely affected.

If mixing two or more 0W oils, or 5W oils together or even 10W oils for that matter of any brand resulted in the loss of an oils cold viscosity rating category certainly ASTM D6922 or ILSAC GF-5 would deal with it.

I've mentioned recently that the API allows up to a 30% base oil interchange with GP III or PAO without the need for retesting.

As always, it's worth checking your statements of "facts"...
APPENDIX E—API BASE OIL INTERCHANGEABILI...SEL ENGINE OILS note "base oil "interchange", and not "fully finished lubricants testing" guidelines.

Anyway, what does it say ? (and I'll limit it to your III IV case)

Table 3E - sequence III testing
Code:

Original Basestock Replacement Basestock Testing Requirement

GrIII GrIII required (*)

GrIII GrIV not required
GrIV GrIII not required
GrIV GrIV not required if chemically and physically the same as the original.

(*) isn't that one interesting ???

Sequence IVA - you know the one, it's the warmup wear one.
Code:

GrIII GrIII required if blend KV100< original

GrIII GrIV required if blend KV100< original

GrIV GrIII not required

Interesting again on a couple of fronts, the GrIII with GrIII issues, and that you generally only have to redo the Sequence IVA (cold start/warm-up wear test remember) if the KV100 is less than the original...i.e. "the blend" doesn't by it's nature meet Sequence IVA, even if the two constituents DO in their own right.

Sequence VE/VG - sludge and varnish
Code:

GrIII GrIII not required

GrIII GrIV required

GrIV GrIII required

Interesting in that your quoted 30% absolute interchangeability isn't interchangeable ... without testing ... again making promises that the Standard expressly DOESN'T ???

Sequence VIA - that's the economy test.
Code:

GrIII GrIII not required if CCS, HTHS, and VI are the same as the original

GrIII GrIV required

GrIV GrIII required

hmmmm...interesting yet again, where's the absolute 30% interchangeability that you have ascribed here ?

Table E26...interchange for TEOST (would have thought you all over this one)...

etc...again, making claims regarding ASTM tests that are not promised by the test regimes, and using an incorrect generalisation to promote your POV.

Quote:
E.2.3.12 Example 11
In this example, a marketer wants to add 30 percent more Group IV base stock to a licensed API SL/Energy
Conserving SAE multi-viscosity grade made with a mix of 20 percent Group IV base stock, 60 percent Group II
base stock, and 20 percent DI/VM additive treat. The new formulation contains 50 percent Group IV base stock,
30 percent Group II base stock, and 20 percent DI/VM additive treat.
According to the tables, Sequence IIIF and VIB engine testing is required when the total Group IV content is
increased to 50 percent. If the total Group IV content were increased to above 50 percent, complete engine testing
except for the Sequence VIII would be required for the new formulation.

And finally I've noticed you've dropped the blended oils in one of your cars that was part of your signature. Now why would that be, not that you're hypocritical in the slightest.

The last one in my sig ?

The Briggs Quantum ?

That's my mower. Used 5W20 over winter, did a test with 20W60 to see the difference in measured oil temperature, ran a blend for a few weeks, and back at SAE30...what's hypocritical about that ?

It does NOT guarantee that the blends maintain their W rating. It Does not guarantee that any other test that either oil meets on it's own, wear, scuffing, you name it...regardless of how many times that you, CATERHAM, say that it does.

Take about a Strawman argument, I have never made those claims regarding D6922.

Sorry, my bad...

Firstly, as per ASTM D6922, their PPs cannot be adversely affected.

If mixing two or more 0W oils, or 5W oils together or even 10W oils for that matter of any brand resulted in the loss of an oils cold viscosity rating category certainly ASTM D6922 or ILSAC GF-5 would deal with it.

You missed a question.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
original certifications?

I answered that early on in the thread...that you can't claim that it meets any of the specs that the original(s) met...same party brought up the interchange guidelines.

I'll answer a bit more formally, and I'll stick to the SN/GF part, using the base oil interchangeability guidelines.

Assuming:
a) that I was a blender, and wanted to make my own custom blend of the two oils in question in the thread because I believed "Shannow Blend" to be superior to all other 0W20s out there;
b) I wanted to legitimately claim that "the blend" met SN/GF5
c) SOPUS and Mobil aren't sharing identical GrIII basestock
d) Basestock is (for argument) 80% of the finished oil mass on both.

"Shannow Blend" would have more than 10% of either brand's GrIII...meaning that in the referenced interchangeability guidelines, it would fall under the changing of GrIII...nearly every table of which "requires testing".

If perchance Mobil was 80% PAO, the blend would either be considered 40% GrIII replacement in PAO, OR a 40% GRIV replacement in a GrIII...neither of which fall in the "less than 30%"...it's unlikely, but as they are mostly GrIII, they fall on the former.

Now, as to the tests that I, the blender would have to carry out prior to making the claim that Shannow Blend meets SN.
Sequence IIIG testing - required
Sequence IV testing - not required if the KV100 of the blend is higher than the original (worst case is that it's thinner than the thickest component), - required
Sequence VIA/B - if either oil contains more than 10% PAO - required
Sequence VIA/B - if both are all GrIII, not required as long as the CCD, HTHS, and VI of the blend is unchanged - therefore required.
Sequence VID - SAme as VIA/B
Sequence VIII - (probably) not required.
TEOST MHT - required

Given that the additive blend is also untested, the full suite is required...once I've done 5 passing tests with that new additive pack, I don't need to retest the add pack.

Merely ONE of the requirements of an SN oil is hat they are "miscible" to D6922...like I said, that's not a guarantee of performance.

Note, this is before Shannow can claim that "Shannow Blend" "meets the requirements of SN/GF5.

Yes, they are miscible, an yes the chances of having a disaster are slim, but you cannot make the claim that the blend meets SN without the testing - required by the API.

I mix all the time....have done so for years. I'm now running GC 0w30, 4 Quarts with Redline Racing 5wt, 2 quarts for my winter run. GC is API-SL and the Redline is about a API-SJ, 0w20.

For the cold weather starts the oil flows fast and the engine runs quiet for a 1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5.

IMO....mix away is how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back