Purolator Oil pressure fluctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had the tendency of buying which ever oil/filter combo is on sale. With the Purolator filter my pressure fluctuates with engine RPM and with K&N it just stays higher.

My vehicle has a oil pressure gauge on the dash without any PSI markings, and I'm not sure it's accurate in any kind of way, but it definitely moves around with Puro and not with K&N. Have tried Puro before and after K&N. It was not just one filter.

Is this normal? Which would be preferred? I'm assuming the higher pressure.

Vehicle : 2006 Jeep Wrangler with 4.0L I6 ~120k Miles

Filter A : "Purolator PureONE Oil Filter" Part No. PL14670

Filter B :K&N HP-2004

Since it doesn't have numbers, does that make it a "dummy" gauge? Mine for example will go to the middle even at idle on a -25*F day. As long as it sees some sort of pressure, it will go up eventually. Even if it has to chime and tell me to check my gauges first.
wink.gif

Very fishy situation indeed. Have you tried any other filter brands??

K&N filters flow more oil and filters it less. Also your gauge might not be graduated like you'd expect. Many gauges read in the middle over a wide range of pressures. If you want to see what's really happening you might want to hook up an external gauge.

No I haven't tried any other brands.

I have been reading more about oil pressure and how it does fluctuate with RPM.

What you suggest, a combination of the gauge being inaccurate and the K&N not filtering much, makes sense to me.

Guess I will stop worrying about it until gauge is reading a low pressure.

After reading forum I will probably buy a WIX filter next go round.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ted s
once the filter media tears you will have more presure
I see what you did there...
56.gif

Joemc, without confirming with a known good pressure gauge, you don't know which condition is correct. It IS normal for oil pressure to fluctuate with RPM and temperature. Any gauge that indicates "normal" at all times is a fake, like the one in my Grand Marquis.

Originally Posted By: Joemc
I have had the tendency of buying which ever oil/filter combo is on sale. With the Purolator filter my pressure fluctuates with engine RPM and with K&N it just stays higher.

My vehicle has a oil pressure gauge on the dash without any PSI markings, and I'm not sure it's accurate in any kind of way, but it definitely moves around with Puro and not with K&N. Have tried Puro before and after K&N. It was not just one filter.

Is this normal? Which would be preferred? I'm assuming the higher pressure.

Vehicle : 2006 Jeep Wrangler with 4.0L I6 ~120k Miles

Filter A : "Purolator PureONE Oil Filter" Part No. PL14670

Filter B :K&N HP-2004

I had a Buick Le sabre my Grandpa left to me when he passed away and it was a 1997 but only had 38K miles on it... This was back on 2005.. anyways..

when I used a Purolator PureOne the Oil pressure gauge that was near instrument cluster would move all over.. When i was at IDLE it was near the very near the RED.... Then when I HIT the gas it would come back up....

Now When I used a A/C Delco PF47 the oil pressure gauge would stay perfect in the middle at start at idle no matter how I was driving..

Even STP and FRAM were perfect.. However PUREONE I think caused to much restriction..
Now this was back when PUREONES were BLUE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back