Mixing ATF in Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I just bought a 2006 Honda Accord automatic v6. Looking at the service records provided by the previous owner, it looks like the transmission was flushed and replaced with "VersaTrans" fluid at Firestone Auto Care. This looks like a synthetic blend of some sort from what I could gather online. I'd like to do a drain and refill (which will not get rid of all the fluid) with Honda ATF-DW1.

My question is: Is it ok to mix these? Or would I need to do a full flush?

I would use only Honda ATF, its not that expensive if you buy the case for drain / reills.
Some like to use MaxLife ATF / Castrol Import ATF. For me its Honda ATF.
49.gif

You can mix them. I would drain and refill with Honda fluid a few times in succession...spaced a few hundred or even a few thousand miles apart. I'd do it when it's convenient, such as an oil change (if you change your oil at home). Over time, you'll get a good % of Honda fluid back in it. Buy a case, change the fluid four times over the next few months, and you'll have a fresh start for about 100 bucks.

Welcome to BITOG!

Not exactly the same but my wife's 07' Civic loves the AMSoil ATF in it. Just another option to consider.

Yes you can mix.

Last edited:
Get a case of dw1 for the discount (or amsoil or soemthing else) and work your way through it, especially if the transmission is otherwise working fine (not clunking or seeming problematic).

As mentioned above, doing a drain/fill every oil change sounds like a good game plan, so you at least get some use out of the fluid. Will take you a few years, but just seems less wasteful. The later drain/fills you can start skipping and doing every other OCI, which is still way overservicing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikael325
Hi all,

I just bought a 2006 Honda Accord automatic v6. Looking at the service records provided by the previous owner, it looks like the transmission was flushed and replaced with "VersaTrans" fluid at Firestone Auto Care. This looks like a synthetic blend of some sort from what I could gather online. I'd like to do a drain and refill (which will not get rid of all the fluid) with Honda ATF-DW1.

My question is: Is it ok to mix these? Or would I need to do a full flush?

Do what others have said, drain and fills with DW-1 fluid. Thats all your Honda needs.

Yes they will mix. Start doing a drain and fill once a month for 4 months. It will be mostly Honda DW-1 by then, thats what it needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back