Did i make the right choice with iPhone 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Apple made a mistake with the display of the iPhone 6. The 6 Plus comes with a full 1080p display, but the regular 6 does not. Apple was already late to the party for 5" +/- screens, but to only go part way with what is essentially a 720p display (actual size is 1334x750) is a miss in my opinion. My folks have Samsungs (mom has an S3 and dad has an S5) and I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say the Samsung cameras are better...the S3 sure doesn't seem to take spectacular photos, and from the few pictures from the S5 I've seen, it's on-par with an iPhone 4S or 5S camera (which is very good).

This will sound flip, but it's not meant to be: if you think you made the right choice in returning the iPhone, then you made the right choice. I just upgraded from an iPhone 4S to a Droid Mini this week. I can say with what I believe is 100% honesty that there are pros and cons to both phones and "better" is relative. I don't consider either Android or iOS to be inherently better than the other one...but one will certainly be more optimal than the other in certain circumstances.

Enjoy your new Galaxy S5. My dad has the Samsung wireless charging kit from Samsung on his. It really does need it...the phone doesn't last a day under moderate-to-heavy use...but being able to set it down on the inductive charger when you're not using it keeps the battery nicely topped off.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I went online out of curiosity and couldn't find one review that said the iphone was better.

Did you bother to read my link? Toms is pretty reputable IMO when it comes to computer systems, and benchmarks don't lie. The issue that occurs most is that they look at two numbers and whichever one is higher/lower is better, without understanding the whole picture. There are some limitations like replaceable battery and memory insertion that I wish Apple would resolve. Hoewever at the same time, many of the droid phones are going the route of the iPhone, since the reality is that form over function is important, and the way to get the best form is to integrate things better. Samsung has been playing catch up since day one, hampered by performance and OS issues, but they are doing a darn good job to bring a good product forward. Hope they're actually making a profit on it...

Again, it is subjective, nothing you mention is compelling to me to want to consider the S5 over the iPhone 6. And its not like you end up spending less money or having higher resale. But competition is good and Samsung is making a nice product and pushing the market.

But if you're happy with it, thats what matters.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I went online out of curiosity and couldn't find one review that said the iphone was better.

Did you bother to read my link? Toms is pretty reputable IMO when it comes to computer systems, and benchmarks don't lie. The issue that occurs most is that they look at two numbers and whichever one is higher/lower is better, without understanding the whole picture. There are some limitations like replaceable battery and memory insertion that I wish Apple would resolve. Hoewever at the same time, many of the droid phones are going the route of the iPhone, since the reality is that form over function is important, and the way to get the best form is to integrate things better. Samsung has been playing catch up since day one, hampered by performance and OS issues, but they are doing a darn good job to bring a good product forward. Hope they're actually making a profit on it...

Again, it is subjective, nothing you mention is compelling to me to want to consider the S5 over the iPhone 6. And its not like you end up spending less money or having higher resale. But competition is good and Samsung is making a nice product and pushing the market.

But if you're happy with it, thats what matters.

Big thing to me was I can get ring tones without jumping through hoops the battery life is better also screen is bigger and a smidgen sharper. Camera is extremely comparable. But as far as all the obvious features they are to close to say one is better than the other. What is better imo is android doesn't keep you on as tight of a leash with what you can do and have on the phone. The iphone worked good and functioned fine but I cannot help but think apple lives off their name more than the product. Any way you want to slice it it Is not as cutting edge. Every android you can set up different and make your own. The iphone 6 feels like a 5 and 4 software wise because it is. That's so boring to me I guess. Both are great phones all depends on the person I'd imagine. Ill also say I played it safe I have had great luck with Samsung products but the new LG g3 looked great felt great and was a very nice phone. also let's keep on mind for conversation sake. Samsung basically builds a good portion of the iphone. Neat concept considering how much they seem to hate each other.

That is pretty funny... but I guess none can help it that samsung has semiconductor fabs...

The thing to keep in mind is that iOS and Mac OS has always been more efficient. There is a reason why it can get away with less memory and the OS can be faster and more stable, and why the same benchmarks are extremely comparable in terms of actual, practical performance, even if the droid has more cores or memory or whatever. Its like saying that a tractor trailer must be better than a mustang or an M5 because it makes 1200 lb-ft of torque from 15L versus 500 kb-ft from 5L.

But in the end, who really cares if the performance is comparable... If sammy can get x cores and apple gets away with y cores, but the phones both cost the same and perform the same, do we care?

All that matters is that you like it. Let us know when you dunk it
smile.gif

I've washed it off In the sink already it tool it like a champ. Honestly if apple had widget's and let you have more control over your experience they would have the ultimate phone.

I've washed it off In the sink already it tool it like a champ. Honestly if apple had widget's and let you have more control over your experience they would have the ultimate phone.

If Apple allowed me to arrange my icons in any pattern OTHER than top-to-bottom, left-to-right, if they allowed widgets, and if they allowed me to set default applications other than Apple apps, then I'd have bought an iPhone 5s instead of an Android phone. I enjoy the Apple products, but I'd say the general reason I tried Android again is because of the lack of control you have over the interface with an Apple.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The iPhone 6 plus blows the Samsung Galaxy 4 out of the water IME.

Considering the iPhone 6 was released a year and a half after the S4, I would hope it would be the better phone between the two.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Something sounds off on that. My coworker just has to tap the phone button on his Kenwood head unit. Nothing difficult with his iPhone 6.

One thing about a iPhone it'll still be useful and worth something after 2 years. Just upgraded to our 2nd iPhone's and keeping our 4's for the kids and mp3 player. I got the 5S for nothing but a 2 year contract and doing the $10/month for the iPhone 6 Plus for her. Just a lease but frankly in 2 years it'll just set around doing not much.. might as well trade it in for another. I'll do the same the next go around.

Same goes with Android. I just sold my S3 a few months back for less than I paid for my new NEXUS on contract.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The iPhone 6 plus blows the Samsung Galaxy 4 out of the water IME.

The iPhone 6 blows my Galaxy S5 out of the water! I want to like Android and it does have cool features but it really is not that great...

The high end android phones are Sony Xperias. I'm not sure why people get so enthralled with Samsung phones. The iphones aren't even in the same realm as the Xperia phones.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The high end android phones are Sony Xperias. I'm not sure why people get so enthralled with Samsung phones.

Not trying to stir the pot or anything, but what makes the Xperia better?

The high end android phones are Sony Xperias. I'm not sure why people get so enthralled with Samsung phones. The iphones aren't even in the same realm as the Xperia phones.

The big thing I don't like about the Sony phones is the highly customized nature of its Android interface. But Samsung's in the same boat there also, which is why I also didn't buy one of them. I've found that, with manufacturer proprietary skins, more is really less.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

The big thing I don't like about the Sony phones is the highly customized nature of its Android interface. But Samsung's in the same boat there also, which is why I also didn't buy one of them. I've found that, with manufacturer proprietary skins, more is really less.

Sony Xperia runs pure Android. It has for a few years. And i agree. I have an HTC and hate Sense. Give me an AOSP ROM any day (CM preferably). Google Play devices all run pure android also (HTC has a couple of those).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The high end android phones are Sony Xperias. I'm not sure why people get so enthralled with Samsung phones.

Not trying to stir the pot or anything, but what makes the Xperia better?

Everything but the price. You cannot get one subsidized. They come unlocked with pure android. They have the fastest processors, most memory, best screens, high end cameras etc. They typically only have 16 GB internal storage but they have SD Card slots for expansion. They also still make compact versions that are less than 5.5" long for those who hate the phablets. Go check out an Xperia Z3. The build quality is also awesome.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z3-6539.php

Everything but the price. You cannot get one subsidized.

Verizon has the Z3v for $199, which I believe is a subsidized price with a 2-year contract. And it's the same price as Samsung Galaxy S5.

Quote:

They have the fastest processors,

Z3 and Galaxy S5 have the exact same processors.

Quote:
but they have SD Card slots for expansion.

So does the Galaxy S5.

Quote:
Go check out an Xperia Z3. The build quality is also awesome.

But it's also heavier than a comparable Galaxy S5, which from what I've seen has a pretty good build quality as well.

Sony Xperia runs pure Android.

This hasn't been my observation. This one reviewed in 2013 does not:

http://android.appstorm.net/general/opinion/android-skin-review-sony-xperia-ui/

"And some of Xperia UI’s highlights are in cosmetics (e.g. the themes), which again play to the new user. But, as a self-professed geek, I’d rather see manufacturers go all out to really and truly add value, or revert to stock Android and stay on the cutting edge. Sony has done neither, somewhat disappointingly."

PCmag reviewed the Xperia Z3 Compact and commented about the "heavy Android skin":

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2472637,00.asp

"And while it's an excellent phone, it's not quite a slam dunk because of its heavy-handed Android skin, camera troubles, and price."

The current Xperias in the Verizon store do not run stock Android; Sony has an attractive skin on it...but it's not stock Android. This is one reason I checked the Xperia off my list; I wanted stock Android...or as close to it as I could get. The current lineup of Motorola phones aren't completely and truly unmodified versions of Android, but they're noted to be about as "stock" or "pure" as you'll get in a mainstream phone other than a Nexus.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Sony Xperia runs pure Android.

This hasn't been my observation. This one reviewed in 2013 does not:

http://android.appstorm.net/general/opinion/android-skin-review-sony-xperia-ui/

"And some of Xperia UI’s highlights are in cosmetics (e.g. the themes), which again play to the new user. But, as a self-professed geek, I’d rather see manufacturers go all out to really and truly add value, or revert to stock Android and stay on the cutting edge. Sony has done neither, somewhat disappointingly."

PCmag reviewed the Xperia Z3 Compact and commented about the "heavy Android skin":

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2472637,00.asp

"And while it's an excellent phone, it's not quite a slam dunk because of its heavy-handed Android skin, camera troubles, and price."

The current Xperias in the Verizon store do not run stock Android; Sony has an attractive skin on it...but it's not stock Android. This is one reason I checked the Xperia off my list; I wanted stock Android...or as close to it as I could get. The current lineup of Motorola phones aren't completely and truly unmodified versions of Android, but they're noted to be about as "stock" or "pure" as you'll get in a mainstream phone other than a Nexus.

that might be true for verizon phones. The xperias I have had imported were pure android with only a theme, not a not a launcher/UI like Samsung, HTC, etc. use.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Everything but the price. You cannot get one subsidized.

Verizon has the Z3v for $199, which I believe is a subsidized price with a 2-year contract. And it's the same price as Samsung Galaxy S5.

Quote:

They have the fastest processors,

Z3 and Galaxy S5 have the exact same processors.

Quote:
but they have SD Card slots for expansion.

So does the Galaxy S5.

Quote:
Go check out an Xperia Z3. The build quality is also awesome.

But it's also heavier than a comparable Galaxy S5, which from what I've seen has a pretty good build quality as well.

You made my point for me. Nothing out there better than the Xperia especially if you don't want a phablet. Samsung's cheap build and obsession with size makes them less than desirable.

Samsung's cheap build and obsession with size makes them less than desirable.

At least when it comes to Z3v (which is the only Z3 available on Verizon), the Z3v is heavier and slightly larger than Samsung S5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back