Contemplating buying 2008 Jetta -- Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is truth to reliability in VW. However according to Consumer Reports the reliability is ABOVE AVERAGE for the 2008 Jetta gasser. Past years terrible. I would not by hyper concerned with this aspect on this design, motor, and its generation/life cycle.

This finding lines up with the folks I know with the engine. The only complaint they have is below average MPG out of the I5 but nice pickup/driveability.

I feel sorry for the guys that think a Jetta is a downgrade from a Camry and is equivalent to a Corolla. But I guess if one is used to driving penalty boxes, albeit reliable penalty boxes, one may take Toyota as a pinnacle of driving experience.

The 2.5 is not only very reliable, but it is torqey and with a manual, will be a superior ride to anything from Toyota in that segment.
I would go for it, but the price would have to be a bit lower. For a 2008 and with an unpopular manual gearbox I would shoot for $6500-$7000.

Another thing to mentio, IMO. The Jetta will have a far better interior than cars in its class. My 2008 is extremely nice for the original price of the car. The seats are really well put together, and the soft touch dash seems really durable. My only complaint is the shifter boot at 60k is starting to get worn, but thats minor in comparison. Like others have said the VW reliability claims are getting blown out proportion. Main problem is when someone does have a problem they take it to a jakeleg mechanic that doesn't know what he's doing. That accounts for alot.

There is a love/hate relationship with the I5. Some love the sound, some don't. I for one love the tone when you romp on it.

OP,
[off topic] but kind of related:
look your local craigslist for VW sales (jetta, passat, both sedan and wagon, golf...).
if you find a phone number repeating, then you find an individual/independent garage that specialize in VW's.
buy them a coffee/bring them cookies/cake and have 1-2 hour talk with them:
-they could tell your local inventory and local problems
-they could mentor you/backup you if you want to do the wrench yourself
-they could recommend you something/point problems
-they could find you something clean by word-of-mouth
[/off topic]

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I feel sorry for the guys that think a Jetta is a downgrade from a Camry and is equivalent to a Corolla. But I guess if one is used to driving penalty boxes, albeit reliable penalty boxes, one may take Toyota as a pinnacle of driving experience.

This is true.

People buy cars based on a different set of requirements. And if you know what you're looking for, you'd probably never cross-shop a Jetta against a Corolla. Both have their market, but it's not the same market.

And since the OP hasn't really specified what his requirements/priorities are, then it's really tough to say which vehicle would be more up his alley.

We bought my daughter a 2008 Jetta Se auto a few years back. Currently she has about 75k miles and only put a battery in it. The build quality of the interior is much better than any camry/corolla. As a matter of fact my wife has a 2008 BMW X3 and the jetta interior is almost as nice. It is a small car but you dont feel like you a driving an econobox. The plastics in those japanese cars are truely terrible. Once you drive a german car you will be hooked if you like to drive. Driving dynamics are great. She gets 26-30mpg with mostly highway driving. A 2008 will be a reliable car as long as been maintained

Last edited:
I will chime in as I own a 2007 Jetta with the 2.0 turbo & DSG. The car has been great the past 3 years of ownership, only having really to replace the charcoal canister due to previous owner consistently brimming the tank, and a new battery purely because the old one had a cracked negative terminal.

Like others have mentioned, the driving dynamics of the car is better than an equivalent segment Corolla, and even a Camry. Rigid body, good suspension tuning, strong brakes and peppy performance from the turbo.

Interior quality is above average, plastic quality is high, fitment is tight and generally rattle resistant.

If you do ever run into issues, DIY diagnostic is made much simpler with the RossTech VCDS cable, essentially a dealer level capable tool. That is how I found out I needed a new charcoal canister as I can simulate an evap purge and chart the response of the O2 sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back