Firearms rust prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing - I was surprised at some of the results - especially friction testing where Weapon Shield and Mpro7 scored so poorly ?
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Have you read this end all be all test?

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Dang. I hadn't seen that before. Fantastic. We need to get that guy on Bitog. And, I need to order some Froglube.

I found the results of the test in that link very strange and different from my own testing also.

Here is another good corrosion test with a lot of samples tested:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?103924-Corrosion-Testing-(New-Pics-5-08-12)

In most of the testing that I have seen CorrosionX and Breakfree did really well. I know of a YouTube site where the guys there really like Froglube and they said that the only problem they had was that the Froglube dried up on guns in storage.

If you have a stainless steel gun I don't think you need to worry that much about corrosion anyway. I like either Hoppes Elite or MPro7 for cleaning (Hoppes Bore Cleaner still works also) and even Hoppes No. 9 oil and lithium grease (on the slides) will work for lubrication. And CorrosionX seems to work fine as a lube (but not as a cleaner) and Breakfree works good as a lube.

Aside from these products that work for me I am done trying new stuff unless somebody really comes out with something great.

I was at a gun store a little while back and the guys there really seem knowledgable about guns and gun maintenance. They like MPro7 for cleaning and they don't seem to worry that much about gun oil-Breakfree or Hoppes Elite gun oil or whatever seems okay to them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buck91
I find it hard to believe Boeshield T9 failed that quick- I wonder if he allowed it to cure as directed first. Especially since its VERY tacky after curing and doesn't provide a low friction lube.

Originally Posted By: punisher
Yup. T9 and Eezox are usually near the top of the list as far as rust prevention is concerned. T9 gets used on my cast iron table saw deck. The South TX humidity is murder on that.

Re: T9's poor performance. I use the liquid, not the spray he used. It is indeed a requirement to allow it to cure/harden overnight. Further, when I use it on my metal tools I would add a few drops, then wipe it around with a finger AND LEAVE IT. IOW...no wiping off with a cloth. The next day there would be a shiny, durable coating on the metal.

My tablesaw now has a few rusty spots that will be good to evaluate it with. I usually use Slip-It since it has no silicone or other chemicals that would interefere with glue or finishes. Problem is that the coating isn't very durable as wood, router pads, etc. are used on the top.

We're currently having lots of rain/humidity in Tx from the Pacific front(s). Good testing weather!

I do this every three months
wipe down
light oil coating
wipe down
light oil coating
wipe down
done...
Never seen rust except on my stoeger shotgun and that was before I started this routine.

My garage is on the edge of the Nicolet National Forest, bears have occasionally been a problem so I keep loaded shotguns at every door, for corrosion spray with pure silicone never wipe just add more year after year temps from 95 down to -30...been 15 years now.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
I do this every three months
wipe down
light oil coating
wipe down
light oil coating
wipe down
done...
Never seen rust except on my stoeger shotgun and that was before I started this routine.

While not recommending my method. I have a number of shotguns that I kept in an unheated garage for 10 years with very little attention. I broke my dad's Model 12 Winchester out last year to go hunting. Not a spot of anything on it and the barrel was still like a mirror.

Model 12 Winchester? Now that's a Shotgun!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dblshock
My garage is on the edge of the Nicolet National Forest, bears have occasionally been a problem so I keep loaded shotguns at every door, for corrosion spray with pure silicone never wipe just add more year after year temps from 95 down to -30...been 15 years now.

Is there a concern with silicone on wood, or am I mistaken?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: dblshock

Is there a concern with silicone on wood, or am I mistaken?

On a good wood finish it should be fine if you wipe it on and wipe it off. If you plan on refinishing the wood at some point the silicone will cause fish eyes, if it is not completely removed.

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
Model 12 Winchester? Now that's a Shotgun!
thumbsup2.gif

Yea, I really like it. Dad bought it in 1949 used very little. 20 ga. modified choke. I still hunt with it and think of dad every time.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
You have a lightly used 1949 Model 12 sitting by the door in the garage ? crazy.
frown.gif

I keep it in my gun safe in the garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back